Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,777 times

Advertisements

We won tickets, and need advice. I'm 71 and wife much younger, and we will not be doing a lot of physical demanding things. So when and what should we be looking at? We both like the outdoors, I like to photograph birds, and she loves checking out the scenery. We can go anytime of the year, but the least travel times best and the tickets are standby.
Thanks
Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
The icelandair.com website has several package tours that might be good for you. Even if you don't book with them they will give you some ideas for where to go and what to see.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Let me guess - you got a letter that said you qualify to "win" an all expense paid trip to Iceland when a.) you subscribe to x number of magazines with them, or b.) you attend a seminar on time share options.
The key word is "qualify".

Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 AM

Default Wrong it's C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let me guess - you got a letter that said you qualify to "win" an all expense paid trip to Iceland when a.) you subscribe to x number of magazines with them, or b.) you attend a seminar on time share options.
The key word is "qualify".
I should not have used the work "won", she was given the tickets as a Thank You from her Airline for saving a passengers life. She does that RN stuff very well....

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl

Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
So your wife is a heroine! Blessings to you both and wish I had first hand knowledge to share. Best wishes for a wonderful trip !

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

As She says, It wasn't anything she hadn't done before during her years as an RN. She left to get back into aviation, though they won't let her fly the 737's yet! And yes She IS a Heroine, in more than one way....

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl

Last edited by lcole07; 12-20-2010 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
Is it just airline tickets she won, or are there other things included (hotel, tours, etc.)?

IcelandAir pretty much runs everything tourist wise in Iceland so they are the place to start.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Just the tickets, when we were traveling the US in a fiver, we did most everything on our own. I was hoping to rent a car and take off. Maybe that's not the way to go...

Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
I can't speak from experience as I've only seen Iceland from its airport, but I know many people raving about the beauty of Iceland's national parks. Be prepared for a moonscape with very few trees. In fact, I don't think I've seen any trees flying into Iceland. You should at least see geysir, the namesake of the word geyser as well as the blue lagoon near Keflavik airport. Reykjavik is worth a day or so, but Iceland's beauty is in its nature, which can be seen by renting a car or going on a tour like grayline excursions.

As for time of year, definitely pick summer if you want to be in the great outdoors. Be aware that even in July/August Iceland is usually quite cool in the 50s and 60s as it is in the middle of the North Atlantic. However, the huge difference is the daylight hours. However, winter can be great if you want to experience the aurora borealis and the costs of hotels are much cheaper. It is far north enough that you can join various tours to see the Northern Lights without freezing to death. Winter is relatively mild with averages hovering in the 20s and 30s.

Good luck and congratulations.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
When we went a few years ago, we went the first week of June - right before the start of high season. Temps were around 50-55 degrees. Be prepared that food and lodging are expensive. We did not rent a car but took tours to everywhere and taxis in Reykjavik, so I can't comment on rental car expense. There was a lot of road building going on when we visited, but overall there is not an extensive road network. I honestly don't think there is a destination in Iceland that can't be serviced by a tour. Plus with Iceland being a relatively small country, we found we actually got to visit the attractions at a more lesiurely pace (even on a tour), but I do understand some like to be able to come and go as they please and not be tied to a tour schedule.

You can also take a 2 hour flight to the east coast of Greenland from Reykjavik, but the weather can be very iffy at best.

The comment about no trees is true (but lupines are everywhere)- but Iceland does have a lot of rugged beauty, waterfalls, geysers, glaciers and lots of history - and all done in easy day trips. One place that gets mixed reviews is the Blue Lagoon - people have strong opinions either way, but personally I really enjoyed it.

Overall, we really enjoyed Iceland and would like to go back in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel