Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 AM

42 posts, read 98,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I would need your help about tipping...

Yesterday, I went to the restaurant, asked for the check, gave my credit card and wrote : -$3- on the tip line and added those 3$ to the initial amount. (I did not gave my credit card back to the waiter after that)

However, when checking my bank account, I have seen that only the amount (without tip) has been withdrawn from my account...

So can anyone help a naïve european about how to tip :-D

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
It sounds like your correctly handled the tip. You give them the credit card, they run it through the system, they bring back a receipt for you to sign, at which time you add the tip and new total. Not sure why the tip didn't show up on your statement.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
it might get corrected. They might run the non tip amount first, then run the tipped amount later.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
it might get corrected. They might run the non tip amount first, then run the tipped amount later.
My wife and I went to the flyfishing bar/pub in Waterbury, name escapes me.
We left a seven dollar tip but it didn't show up on our bank record, so my wife went back and tipped the bartender seven dollars.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 23,210 times
You did everything right. Sometimes they correct it and sometimes they don't.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
It's up to the restaurant to correct it. They run it for the amount without the tip so that they actually charge you and then go back and correct it. Usually they do all the night's charges at the end of the night or first thing the next day. I've seen that, but usually within a day or 2, it's corrected on my bank account.

I have, however, seen places that didn't deduct the tip. Really, it's their loss, even though I felt bad (too far out of the way to go back and give them a tip).

Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
There is often a time gap between the time of purchase and the full amount being billed. The same thing can happen when buying gasoline. The bank will block off some cash in the account. Once they've verified the amount, they'll go back and correct it. Can take a few days for this to happen.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
if you can, leave cash. that goes for everyone tho. not just foreigners.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
My wife and I went to the flyfishing bar/pub in Waterbury, name escapes me.
We left a seven dollar tip but it didn't show up on our bank record, so my wife went back and tipped the bartender seven dollars.

WHen was this? This is how it always worked for me. Anytime I leave tip the un- tipped amount first shows as pending. Then the real amount including the tip comes up once the pending status goes away. So you guys might have double tiped.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbe View Post
Hi everyone!

I would need your help about tipping...

Yesterday, I went to the restaurant, asked for the check, gave my credit card and wrote : -$3- on the tip line and added those 3$ to the initial amount. (I did not gave my credit card back to the waiter after that)

However, when checking my bank account, I have seen that only the amount (without tip) has been withdrawn from my account...

So can anyone help a naïve european about how to tip :-D

Kevin
Don't worry your tip will show up next week as a $50 charge, welcome to America

To tell you the truth they most likely didn't batch out and charge your card yet.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel