Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Interesting. I think Mexico is one of the more underrated countries, at least from the US perspective. Most Americans only think of AI resorts, beaches and tequila when travel to Mexico. In reality the country is rich with geographic and ecological diversity, cultural history, incredible food and beautiful cities. Of course, it is full of picture perfect beaches, too.
Yeah, I have felt Mexico is underrated, even with lines like "I think Spanish from Spain is so much better than Mexican Spanish." In reality, if they really did know the difference they'd probably prefer Mexican Spanish. It is mainly a stigma. It isn't only USA though, Mexicans get looked down upon by South Americans too, they just don't really catch a break anywhere haha. I have always found Mexico to be extremely interesting, from mega cities like Mexico City to the Mayan Ruins to Guadalajara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 03:35 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Kudos burgler 09, I feel the same thing about Mexico, way underrated especially compared to Argentina (when I see all the threads on USCity Data on that country!). The only temperate beach with decent bathing temperatures (Bahia Blanca) is hopelessly overcrowded in the Southern Hemisphere summer! compare it to the thousand of miles of warm, paradise - like , pristine beaches on the Pacific and Caribbean sides of Mexico! and cherry on the cake, Mexico is close to the US!
I can't wait to discover the Mayan Peninsula (programmed 2013)!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I thought the Thais weren't really very pleasant people, compared to Laotians, Malaysians, Chinese, and especially compared to the Burmese, for whom the Thais exhibit a pretty disgusting contempt. This is not meant to be overly condemning the Thais, it was just less than I had expected it to be, after all the hype. Yes, of course, there were a lot of very nice experiences there, but there were downsides that I thought made it, overall, a minus country.

Also, as for trekking, I found Thailand to be pretty badly damaged environmentally, especially the southern peninsula.
Yeah everyone goes on about how friendly the Thais are but apart from wanting to get your money, they didn't seem especially friendly. Some of the 'working girls' are also very aggressive. Why do they hate the Burmese so? Maybe due to illegal immigration? I wonder what they think of the Japanese, since some mistook me for a Japanese person.

Most of SE Asia is pretty environmentally damaged. Phi Phi Island, for instance, was so packed with tourists the coral reefs looked rather colourless and lacking in life. Nha Trang in Vietnam was even worse...They literally treat the waters like a rubbish dump.

Also I found the Thai language really annoying, to be honest. I'm glad I'm not Thai, having to listen to that all day every day. Also Thailand isn't all that cheap as I had expected. I was paying an average of maybe $8 a meal, and not at expensive places either. I came from Vietnam where I was paying $1-5 for very good meals.

The plus sides were of course nice beaches and lots of entertainment options. A lot of it pretty sleazy though, as you'd know.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why do they hate the Burmese so? Maybe due to illegal immigration?
The Myanmar government allows day-laborers to cross over into Thailand to work, and they're treated like slaves. It reminded me of the way Mexican field workers were treated by Americans back in the 50s.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
These places seem like overrated countries for traveling:

Ireland
Portugal
Turkey
Brazil
South Africa
Egypt
Jamaica
Dominican Republic
Bahamas
Puerto Rico

Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
These places seem like overrated countries for traveling:

Ireland
Portugal
Turkey
Brazil
South Africa
Egypt
Jamaica
Dominican Republic
Bahamas
Puerto Rico
Three destinations on your list (Jamaica, DR, Bahamas) please plenty of Americans with their beach resorts and warm climate, which are all they really want.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 AM

793 posts, read 2,214,107 times
To not be rude, but pick pockets in Paris and other Europe big cities are foreigners or second generations from northern Africa and Asia minor.

I grew up in France and when visiting Paris, I know what to watch for and how to have my things secure one me. Don't talk to any ladies around tourist attraction that says "You speak English?" This is a trick.

There is good things and bad things about France, same with the US.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Three destinations on your list (Jamaica, DR, Bahamas) please plenty of Americans with their beach resorts and warm climate, which are all they really want.
At the same time, there are also plenty of Americans that find Jamaica, Bahamas, and Dominican Republic overrated and not worthwhile destinations, including me.

Places like Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, Southern China, India, Parts of Australia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Hawaii etc. are much better tropical warm weather destinations.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
The fact that anyone could say Ireland is over-rated shows how really useless these lists are. It all depends on individual tastes and preferences. I don't go to beachy places but am happy as the proverbial clam in Ireland. Happy New Years everyone!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
My mum who has been to both says Thailand is way overrated compared to India (she's been to Bangkok/phuket in Thailand, Bombay/Pune/Goa in India):
I'm quoting my mum here:
- "India being a former British colony, English is more commonly spoked there"
- "Thai people despise the Farangs and put up big smiles because they are extremely greedy; on the other hand, Indian people despise Westerners , not for lowly materialistic reasons, but because of their spiritual beliefs [if that makes a difference?] but will always be extremely polite because they are pacifists"
- "There is a tsunami of tourists in Thailand so the country is much more damaged than India-it seems that the only tourists lately in Goa are male and female Tsahal soldiers"
-" India is way cheaper now than Thailand"

What do you make of that? (I've not traveled to these 2 countrues, so...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel