Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,905,616 times

Advertisements

It wasn't until after divorce that I discovered the joys of solo travel. Besides a week at the coast or mountains, which I had done numerous times, I wanted to begin to visit locations all over the US.

First trip-a week in Maine. Flew up, stayed in a safe and beautiful hotel on the water and spent time in Acacia National Park-a very memorable trip.

Second trip-a week in Florida during winter. Chose a hotel within the confines of Disney World, as the lodge had as a view from the balcony, animals/birds native to Africa....giraffes fed right in front of me, zebras chased each other, antelope dashed about...another memorable stay.

And being alone was icing on the cake-no plans to travel with anyone else again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,967,911 times
When I lived in Miami, I went out alone all the time and always had fun, never went out without meeting new people, so I think Miami would be a good place to travel solo. Plus Miami is a one of a kind city, you'll never see anywhere in the USA that is anything like it.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
TLB

17 posts, read 30,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Half of my friends can't afford a long distance vacation and the other half simply don't want to go anywhere. So one day i'll probably see myself in a position where i'll be vacationing alone.

Where the best place to travel alone IN THE USA (preferably in the bottom half of the country)?

Wheres the best place to travel alone internationally?
I've traveled solo all over the U.S. and internationally for the same reason as you. Most of my friends don't like to travel as much as I do.

For the US, since you specified the bottom half, I'll say Savannah, Georgia, Charleston, SC, New Orleans, Nashville, and Austin.

Internationally? Just about anywhere is good, really. If you've never been out of the country solo before, someplace English-speaking can be a good start, so try Canada, Ireland, the UK, Australia, or New Zealand.

If you're uncomfortable going somewhere, you can always join a tour. It'll likely be more expensive than if you just booked it yourself, but if you're really worried it might be worth it.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
Warning!!! The risks of traveling alone is that, within time, you'll spoil yourself rotten and never want to make another trip with anyone else again!

He who travels alone, travels the fastest!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,768 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Warning!!! ... never want to make another trip with anyone else again!

He who travels alone, travels the fastest!
or the SLOWEST... the choice is yours (moment by moment, turn by turn)

you'll spoil yourself rotten Ha, so true...

Peaceful travels

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
Yup! One friend I traveled with, very slow walker-short legs, I've got long legs, can't walk that slow without undue frustration!

Then there's those dual decisions to make:

"I don't like the looks of this restaurant, let's look at some others!"

"I don't like the looks of this motel/hotel, there's more down the street, let's look at some more before we decide!"

"I love this town! Let's stay a couple more days! Why don't you like it?"

"For Chrissakes, we're on vacation! Why do you want to sleep until noon?
There's a tour that starts at 7am, if I had only known you're a late riser, I'm an early riser!!!

"You ain't leaving your room today and you want me to stay here with you because you got sore feet from walking too much yesterday!

"What do you mean you've had enough!!! You want to reschedule a flight back home and all we've done is seen Portugal and Spain. No Morocco?

"Heavens to Betsy! You just went to the bathroom a half-hour ago, now you gotta go again, right this minute!"

Last edited by tijlover; 01-11-2012 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yup! One friend I traveled with, very slow walker-short legs, I've got long legs, can't walk that slow without undue frustration!

Then there's those dual decisions to make:

"I don't like the looks of this restaurant, let's look at some others!"

"I don't like the looks of this motel/hotel, there's more down the street, let's look at some more before we decide!"

"I love this town! Let's stay a couple more days! Why don't you like it?"

"For Chrissakes, we're on vacation! Why do you want to sleep until noon?
There's a tour that starts at 7am, if I had only known you're a late riser, I'm an early riser!!!

"You ain't leaving your room today and you want me to stay here with you because you got sore feet from walking too much yesterday!

"What do you mean you've had enough!!! You want to reschedule a flight back home and all we've done is seen Portugal and Spain. No Morocco?

"Heavens to Betsy! You just went to the bathroom a half-hour ago, now you gotta go again, right this minute!"
Ah the joys of travelliing with others.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,433,568 times
I love traveling to big cities alone. There is so much to see in a small area and I can go by my interests, my desired schedule, etc. Think NYC, Washington DC, Seattle, Miami, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
It all depends on if you like to be alone or be around others.

If you want to travel with others sign up with one of those group travel tours. You pay more but if time is limited, you don't have to scramble around yourself for how to get to different sightseeing places. If you do one of the group travel tours and are by yourself, you have more opportunities to meet new people and make more friends. That's also good if you're worried about safety.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM

3,987 posts, read 5,023,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What do you like?
I've been traveling the world alone for 30+ years.
The only limitations you have are those you put on yourself.
And money, unfortunately. I would love to travel more...you're right about those self limitations!!

Anyway, I think if the OP is thinking the southern part of the US (we need to know if driving), I would think there are many awesome destinations to choose from. New Orleans (LA), Gulf Shores (AL), Austin (TX), Turner Falls or Broken Bow (OK), White Sand Dunes (NM) etc.!!!

Because travelling alone can be slightly riskier than not, make sure you have your cell phone and a great map. Plan ahead a little: Austin has a great music scene so are there concerts going on you want to coincide with...New Orleans may not be your thing near or on Mardi Gras, but the month before or after might suit you...we really need to know more your interests...but I think the point is that taking a few precautions and planning for some of those events will make traveling alone a wonderful experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel