Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, Happy Super Bowl! I've been looking more seriously into traveling to India, but am not sure I would want to go there on my own. Has anyone here every heard (or better yet gone on) any tour groups to India that focus on wildlife watching? Also, what kinds of medicines need to be taken before going there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Hello everyone, Happy Super Bowl! I've been looking more seriously into traveling to India, but am not sure I would want to go there on my own. Has anyone here every heard (or better yet gone on) any tour groups to India that focus on wildlife watching? Also, what kinds of medicines need to be taken before going there?

Never did any tour groups in India, but I think that could be pretty cool, but I really don't know anything about the wildlife there. Although, I think Africa might be a little bit more interesting in terms of the animals you'll be seeing. Is there anything specific you are going to see?

As for vaccines.

You're going to want to take Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid and Polio. Another recommendation would be to take anti-malaria. Malaria in India has been very serious and very high risk, and it would be highly advised for you to take it if you are going.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Never did any tour groups in India, but I think that could be pretty cool, but I really don't know anything about the wildlife there. Although, I think Africa might be a little bit more interesting in terms of the animals you'll be seeing. Is there anything specific you are going to see?

As for vaccines.

You're going to want to take Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid and Polio. Another recommendation would be to take anti-malaria. Malaria in India has been very serious and very high risk, and it would be highly advised for you to take it if you are going.
Africa seems neat but I just worry about the diseases there, even though I know India has a lot as well. As far as wildlife in India there are lions in the Gir Forest, tigers, leopards, rhinos, elephants, striped hyenas, and a host of deer, antelope, and monkeys as well as many different birds. If you have a polio vaccine would that be a concern in India still?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Africa seems neat but I just worry about the diseases there, even though I know India has a lot as well. As far as wildlife in India there are lions in the Gir Forest, tigers, leopards, rhinos, elephants, striped hyenas, and a host of deer, antelope, and monkeys as well as many different birds. If you have a polio vaccine would that be a concern in India still?

If you received the vaccine as a child, they still recommend to get another one I think. There is typically a government clinic that does this stuff, I don't think private doctors do vaccinations like this, so you go there and they know exactly which vaccinations you need for which country. They will be able to help you more than anybody on this site.

I really recommend the anti-malaria pills too, nothin will ruin a trip quicker than a case of malaria.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I wouldn't say wildlife is better in Africa, just a different experience.

Taking shots and malaria is very wise, don't want to take your chances.

Do a google search of the various tours in India. Intrepid does tours pretty much everywhere and they seem to have some interesting itineraries.

I too am planning (in my mind, not in reality) a trip to India in the next 2 years or so.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I go to India once a year at least and take no shots, just relied on my childhood vaccinations - HP, Typoid, etc. I did not take malaria pills (I've taken them for an Africa trip one time).

That being said, my trip was to urban areas in the non-monsoon season. Requirements may be different in the wildlife areas or in certain regions of the country. I would review the state department travel page on India for recommendations, none are required.

More importantly - stock up on immodium or pepto before you leave.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I go to India once a year at least and take no shots, just relied on my childhood vaccinations - HP, Typoid, etc. I did not take malaria pills (I've taken them for an Africa trip one time).

That being said, my trip was to urban areas in the non-monsoon season. Requirements may be different in the wildlife areas or in certain regions of the country. I would review the state department travel page on India for recommendations, none are required.

More importantly - stock up on immodium or pepto before you leave.
I think hep B and Tetanus need boosters, so your childhood shots are probably well overdue now.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
I copied this from a UK website...
When I was 21 I went to India for the first time - alone, and took anti malaria tablets and they gave me such a bad stomach I stopped even before i left the UK. I've never took them again and I've travelled a lot through Asia, -India, China, Burma, Cambodia etc and lived in HK / Singapore for over 5 years. I've only ever met 2 people who have had malaria... I did take an anti histamine every day though because I am allergic to mozzie bites and I look like i've been pelted with golf balls....

Immunisations
Confirm primary courses and boosters are up to date.
Courses or boosters usually advised: diphtheria; tetanus; poliomyelitis; hepatitis A; typhoid (polio not required for Andaman and Nicobar islands).
Vaccines sometimes advised: hepatitis B; rabies; Japanese encephalitis; cholera.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wouldn't say wildlife is better in Africa, just a different experience.

Taking shots and malaria is very wise, don't want to take your chances.

Do a google search of the various tours in India. Intrepid does tours pretty much everywhere and they seem to have some interesting itineraries.

I too am planning (in my mind, not in reality) a trip to India in the next 2 years or so.
The one and only 'tour' I ever did was with Intrepid and it was a good experience. We only stayed in locally owned hotels, ate at smaller less touristy restaurants etc etc In Vietnam we actually stayed in a families home and they cooked for us. They earn money to help support their family. Our guide knew the areas well and tok us to many 'off the beaten track' places. They have different levels of luxury. I think we did 'classic' or 'standard' though not the basic. I'd definitely recommend them.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
The one and only 'tour' I ever did was with Intrepid and it was a good experience. We only stayed in locally owned hotels, ate at smaller less touristy restaurants etc etc In Vietnam we actually stayed in a families home and they cooked for us. They earn money to help support their family. Our guide knew the areas well and tok us to many 'off the beaten track' places. They have different levels of luxury. I think we did 'classic' or 'standard' though not the basic. I'd definitely recommend them.
I was thinking of doing the Intrepid tour to Sapa, but in the end did a tour through the hotel for cheaper. I'm sure Intrepid are good but I had such a great experience anyway, guide was great, homestay was great! Fantastic experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel