Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times

Advertisements

More importantly - stock up on immodium or pepto before you leave.

This seems like a wise idea when going to any Third World country. Also, for those of you who have been, can you drink the water there?

I will check out Intrepid's site. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This. India has me feeling funny for three weeks after I returned, the only place I've been sick more often is North Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Also, for those of you who have been, can you drink the water there?
No.

Quote:
focus on wildlife watching?
I'm not sure what wildlife you'd watch in India. I know there are some wildlife preserves with tigers but it is my understanding you often end up sitting in hot trucks with a dozen other tourists for days at a time with no luck since they are so few, and while leopards are more common they hide so well they are almost impossible to see.

I guess you can see your share of animals right in some of the major cities. Cows, goats, pigs, monkeys, elephants, touristy cobra shows, etc. heck we've had even peacocks on the roof of our guest house in India, I never even knew they could fly so not sure how they got up there. Some cities also have urban eagles.

Last edited by slackjaw; 02-06-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,992,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This. India has me feeling funny for three weeks after I returned, the only place I've been sick more often is North Africa.

No.

I'm not sure what wildlife you'd watch in India. I know there are some wildlife preserves with tigers but it is my understanding you often end up sitting in hot trucks with a dozen other tourists for days at a time with no luck since they are so few, and while leopards are more common they hide so well they are almost impossible to see.

I guess you can see your share of animals right in some of the major cities. Cows, goats, pigs, monkeys, elephants, touristy cobra shows, etc. heck we've had even peacocks on the roof of our guest house in India, I never even knew they could fly so not sure how they got up there. Some cities also have urban eagles.
So you haven't seen antelope or deer while you were there? Is this a bad choice to view wildlife?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
I dunno India is a big country I certainly haven't seen all of it, and I definitely didn't spend much time in the forest. I just remember the tiger thing because we were near one of the preserves and debating going but from talking to other travelers the wait/expense vs. reward ratio is very low on big cats in India.

I'd assume must be deer/antelope or something (wild boar?) if there are tigers and leopards since they gotta eat, but have no idea really.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times
Quote:

This seems like a wise idea when going to any Third World country. Also, for those of you who have been, can you drink the water there?

I drank the water in restaurants in Mumbai, I didn't have any problems, but I also wouldn't recommend it. For some odd reason I always get lucky when I drink water in 3rd world countries, but one of these days I'm sure I'm going to pay my lesson.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM

82 posts, read 117,372 times
Quote:

You can buy bottled water for drinking,even for brushing. They are available everywhere.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
India is such a densely populated country your best bet would be the larger reserves and national park. Jim Corbett National Park and the Sundarbans are too that come to mind, for tigers. The south is more a rainforest environment similar to Indonesia.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,935,215 times
Quote:
Also, for those of you who have been, can you drink the water there?

Most definetly not...but most western brand hotels have filtered water for its taps and it is safe to drink. Enquire at the front desk.
Of course, what's the fun of staying at the Hilton? The fun is in getting close to the ground layer of India - hearing honking horns in the morning, waking up to armpit and curry smells, and getting covered with layers of dust.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Most definetly not...but most western brand hotels have filtered water for its taps and it is safe to drink. Enquire at the front desk.
Of course, what's the fun of staying at the Hilton? The fun is in getting close to the ground layer of India - hearing honking horns in the morning, waking up to armpit and curry smells, and getting covered with layers of dust.

If I had more money, there would be nothing better than getting the heck away from all that stuff and staying in the Hilton or Taj in my own comfort and then going back to the mess as soon as I step outside

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,702,216 times
The most important thing, most national parks are closed during summer and monsoon season so dont go between May to mid september. For asiatic lions, Gir national park in gujarat state. For birds including siberian crane, bharatpur in rajasthan. Rajasthan is also famous for ranthambhore national park. in north east, assam has kaziranga national park and manas for rhinoceros. look here
List of national parks of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

most of the national parks have excellent hotels, guides, safaris. although my personal choice is to go to those parks where few tourists come. do some research before going to national parks, some parks are in sensitive areas where foreigners need special permission. camping is not advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel