Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

I wasn't even planning to take a look at this e-mail Expedia sent me today because my suitcases have always been fine size-wise, but I haven't traveled since June 2011, when evidently all this crap started. Check it out because I was surprised!

Airline Fees for Major Airlines | Expedia.com (http://www.expedia.com/p/info-other/airline-fees.htm?emlcid=CM-O-issu289-testEN-segmX-segaX-date20120327063038-vers01-link4749061-paid62143281-dma-wave520692 - broken link)

I thought our neighbors to the North were a little saner!

These are the rules of Air Canada:

Carry-On Baggage

Standard article
Maximum size:
23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)
Wheels and handles included.

Maximum weight:
10 kg (22 lb)

Personal article
Maximum size:
16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm
(6 in x 13 in x 17 in)

Maximum weight:
10 kg (22 lb)
All destinations
Carry-on baggage allowance*:
1 standard article and 1 personal article
* If you are traveling with an infant on your lap, you may carry on 1 additional Standard article for their belongings.

Examples of standard or personal articles (as determined by their size)

* Carry-on bag, roller bag, backpack, briefcase,
* Laptop computer,
* Cat or small dog in its carrier
* Airport shopping and duty-free purchases, and more.
* Sport racquet (e.g. tennis, squash, badminton),
* Camera bag,
* Garment bag (size and weight restrictions apply),
* Diplomatic or consular bag,
* Musical instrument.

Other items you may bring on board
The following are examples of items that are allowed, in addition to your carry-on allowance:

* Coat or other outer garment,
* Small purse measuring no more than 25cm x 30cm x 14cm (10in x 12in x 5.5 in). Larger purses will be included in your carry-on allowance.

There are plenty of purses bigger than that! In fact, I'll have to buy a new carry-on because I neither want to check it to begin with, nor pay 70 CAD for that! Actually, my suitcase barely makes it, too. And again, I actually chose Air Canada because I thought they were saner! However, the rest look the same... That's United (carry-on): 14 inches x 9 inches x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm)

Btw, not that most would care about it, but for some bizarre reason they don't allow bigger printer cartridges... Of course, stinky and noisy pets onboard are just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I've been traveling with 10 kilo for years.
If you want cheap prices, you comply with their rules.
You can pay additional for checked luggage.

There are some pretty cool scales that you clip around your bag and weigh.
They're not too expensive. I paid 7€ for mine in Europe.
RyanAir is a stickler for the 10 kilo.

Rick Steves has a pretty cool backpack that I use and my AcerOne is light.
Kindle is the way I have to go. I miss books, but the weight and size is so much more convenient.

And if I need anything, I can usually buy it where I travel (soap, shampoo, etc).

Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
I fly fairly regularly and ALWAYS check baggage restrictions before I fly since it is changeable and I don't want to be caught off guard at the airport. Not that anyone actually follows or enforces carry-on rules...but that gripe is best suited to a whole different post.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I fly fairly regularly and ALWAYS check baggage restrictions before I fly since it is changeable and I don't want to be caught off guard at the airport. Not that anyone actually follows or enforces carry-on rules...but that gripe is best suited to a whole different post.
I also kind of doubt that a carry-on a few inches longer will be a problem, but who knows nowadays...

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I also kind of doubt that a carry-on a few inches longer will be a problem, but who knows nowadays...
They have the little "bag sizer" at the gate, that metal thing that your bag has to fit in, otherwise it is too big and must be checked. From time to time I do see the gate attendants asking people with bags of questionable size to put their bags in the sizer, especially when it is a full flight. It is always best to follow the rules because you don't want to be the person who has to go check their bag as everyone else is boarding because you couldn't follow directions.

Now on to my general "I fly too much and have lots of gripes" rant:

In this day and age of overhead bin overcrowding, it is (in my ever so humble opinion) just plain rude to decide you can stuff even more crap in the bin while everyone else has to play by the rules to make room for your oversized bag. People will pay hundreds of dollars for a plane ticket but they refuse to accept they need to pay $25 more to check a bag because they clearly have just packed way too much stuff to carry-on.

Luckily I mainly fly on regional jets where oversized bags just won't fit in the overhead, period. It cuts down on the "stuff 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag" madness.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
These are the rules of Air Canada:

Carry-On Baggage ...
Personal article ...
Coat or other outer garment
Small purse
That's already one more carry-on than most US carriers, who consider a purse to be the "personal article".

I traveled regularly for some months. I had a laptop as my "standard article". So my "personal article" was a shopping bag. It held my purse, my food, my (light) jacket, and whatever I wanted to have with me during the flight. And it fit under the seat in front. That made getting on/off much easier than fumbling around with a bunch of stuff. If the shopping bag seems a bit "bag-lady", then a backpack could serve the same purpose.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Baggage allowances!
And why I now fly SWA, (bags fly free) even tho I have a zillion miles on UA and Delta

It is so much faster to board and disembark on SWA (no one looking for assigned seats or jamming their life's possessions over your head.) Granted I seldom get a whole row to myself like I do on the 'main-line' carriers, but it is only a couple / few hours out of your day to take an inter-USA flight. I have had some pretty rank neighbors on my 20+ hr international flights, but at least they are not typical USA behemoths. (that pak LOTS of cargo, internally and externally).

I was a bit fascinated by the guy that did extensive 'round the world' w/o bags. (NONE). He seemed to have a pretty handy coat with lots of pockets. Bet that was fun at border crossings.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Don't count on that. Airlines want luggage to fit "wheels in" and personal items to fit under seats. That's why they give those restrictions. Personally I"m quote happy about it, It gives everyone a chance to have overhead space.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been traveling with 10 kilo for years.
If you want cheap prices, you comply with their rules.
You can pay additional for checked luggage.

There are some pretty cool scales that you clip around your bag and weigh.
They're not too expensive. I paid 7€ for mine in Europe.
RyanAir is a stickler for the 10 kilo.

Rick Steves has a pretty cool backpack that I use and my AcerOne is light.
Kindle is the way I have to go. I miss books, but the weight and size is so much more convenient.

And if I need anything, I can usually buy it where I travel (soap, shampoo, etc).
10 kg is a luxury. Qantas has a 7 kg limit for carry on.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Wow, 7 kg?
I'd be wearing 3 shirts and a sweater in the cabin.
That's all I travel with, though, my carry-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel