Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I forgot #10 which is perhaps the most important suggestion of all. Go down to the cable car station at the wharf and ride the cable car to China Town. Its about the longest ride you can take. My suggestion is ride out in the open standing and holding one of the vertical posts. The rush you get from the breeze in your face and the sight of the cable car ascending and descending hills is terrific. Once at China Town find a place to have lunch. There are lots of good places. Its hard to recommend any one particular restaurant. Than shop around and buy some cheap "knic knacks" to take home. Than ride the cable car back to the wharf when you are done.

San Francisco maybe a "liberal city" and the politics of many who live there may not appeal to some. Don't let that stop you from going. Next to Paris, France I think its the most beautiful city in the world.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Or, if you are a staunch conservative like me, REFUSE to support.....
WoW, and I though I was the most conservative person on the LEFT coast. (And I enjoy every trip tp SF (which are several / yr)).

I would hate to miss out on all the GREAT time in SF due to self punishment. (I do that pretty well too).

Another great SF cheap sight, is to take the ferry north to one of many destinations, then come back in evening with the city lights to enjoy.

Since I usually fly into SMF and rent a $10 car, then stay in $10 private guest houses and eat via my picnic basket, I guess I am not providing a terribly high $$ amount of support to SF.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Hi,
I am planning a trip to SF in a few months. Can anyone recommend a good hotel location where i can walk around and use public transportation to get around? A hotel that is reasonably priced. I really don't want to rent a car. I will take a taxi from the airport(SFO Int Airport) to the hotel. Also, recommendations on restaurants and places to see. I haven't been to SF in 20yrs, so i'm sure alot has changed. I don't remember much back then except Fisherman Wharfs and Lombard St. Thanks.
I had a GREAT experience with the Hilton Garden Inn in South San Francisco as the hotel has a shuttle that takes you to and from the airport as well as connect to the Bart (which is in the airport) and the Caltrain station. Granted, the hotel is in an industrial area but the hotel made my trip so pleasant (and this hotel was cheaper than the ones in San Francisco). They offer free microwave and fridge, business center (helps when you don't have a laptop and need to look up info), super comfortable beds and great customer service. I've stayed at three different Hilton Garden Inn locations (2 in California and one in Toronto) and the quality is consistent.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Or, if you are a staunch conservative like me, REFUSE to support the most liberal, self serving, disgusting city in the country. SF doesn't deserve anything, except to have a giant chain saw, cut it, and allow it to sink into the ocean.
Now, is that really necessary ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel