Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM

21 posts, read 33,668 times

Advertisements

Sept 17-24 will be traveling from SFO - LAX, what stops do you guys recommend? Or even best places to stay?

Will be arriving at SFO 1030am, leaving LAX 930PM.

First California trip. I know its only 7 days, but what are some must sees?

Traveling with 4 people, so sadly I can't get a convertible, so leave that for next time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
I've done this roadtrip myself (although opposite direction) and you will LOVE it! Some of the highlights for me were:

Carmel by the Sea - Doris Day owns a hotel there called the Cypress Inn (it's adorable, worth the stay!)

San Simeon - William Randolph Hearst's mansion- as we were limited on time we only got to go on one of the tours (there were about 3 or 4 I think)- I would recommend spending a couple of days though to see the entire estate, if you're into history & architecture as much as I am!

Santa Barbara is also a nice place to stop, although we stayed the night in Pismo Beach.

Santa Monica obviously is a Must-See, the Pier is old school awesome

Finally, although it's South of LA- make sure you check out the Queen Mary in Long Beach!

In LA, I've always opted to stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt, I know it's expensive but the history of the place is priceless

Good Luck and I hope you have an AMAZING trip!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
If you go to the hearst Mansion then go back down the road a bit to Pismo Beach and have a meal at F McClintocks Steakhouse. Best food I've eaten on the road and a great view of the ocean while dining.
You may also want to stop at Solvang, a great little Dutch Village just off the Hwy.
Google these 2 place for more info.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 33,668 times
Thanks guys gotta fill up 7 days somehow, so what other cities are worth seeing or should I just split time between sfo/santa barbra/ san diego/ la?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 AM

There are scenic areas all along the way, like Monterey Bay and it's Sea Museum, Carmel for it's unusual beauty, Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, Solvang, Santa Babara, Vanguard Air Facility where they shoot off a lot of satellite rockets, historic lighthouses, Malibu Beach, San Diego and it's zoo or the Naval Yards, just to name a few spots along the coastal highway.
Here are a ton of places to choose from this google section.
sightseeing along california highway 1 - Google Search

Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Be sure to stop at some of the beach access locations, try to make at least one stop at low tide to see the tide pools.

Also: Natural Bridge State park in Santa Cruz.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebo View Post
Sept 17-24 will be traveling from SFO - LAX, what stops do you guys recommend? Or even best places to stay?

Will be arriving at SFO 1030am, leaving LAX 930PM.
From the first sentence it appears you are traveling from SFO to LAX the last sentence seems to have you Leaving LAX at 9;30 pm and arriving in SFO at 10am ,wouldnt that mean driving all night?
I got something wrong..

Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Here are some suggestions:

A good place for a stop and a picnic is the Seacliff State Beach.
Seacliff State Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A place for an absolutely GREAT sub sandwich in Monterey:
Compagno's Market and Deli - The Best Deli Sandwich in Monterey, California!

Compagno's Market and Deli is upon a hill. Park along the street heading toward the bay and you'll have a great view.

Santa Cruz Wharf is also worth a stop. Park on the pier as it is cheaper.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You may also want to stop at Solvang, a great little Dutch Village just off the Hwy.
Uhmmm ... not *Dutch*, but wannabee Danish.
Except for the *fresh* stuff you can eat, all the souvenirs are often labeled *Made in Taiwan* .
They do have bloody good tasting bread !!

I agree with the direction of the trip one should take on Highway 1.
Better going south.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ... not *Dutch*, but wannabee Danish.
Except for the *fresh* stuff you can eat, all the souvenirs are often labeled *Made in Taiwan* .
They do have bloody good tasting bread !!

I agree with the direction of the trip one should take on Highway 1.
Better going south.
LOL, quite a few google sites for Solvang call it a Dutch City, many others call it Danish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel