Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times

Advertisements

Fly first class or business is my dream unfortunately I don't have the financial means to do it, but if one day I have lots of money (or not necessarily even "lots of money" just a slightly higher salary), I sure would do it (I would go for business class, first class on most carriers is obscenely expensive) for long haul vacation flights .Lucky guy you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Fly first class or business is my dream unfortunately I don't have the financial means to do it, but if one day I have lots of money (or not necessarily even "lots of money" just a slightly higher salary), I sure would do it (I would go for business class, first class on most carriers is obscenely expensive) for long haul vacation flights .Lucky guy you!
Here is a tip. Get a credit card that gives you miles and use it for everything. Buy a coach ticket, and then use miles to upgrade to business class for long haul flights. If you can be flexible about your travel dates, you can fly to and from Europe from the US in business for about $800--the cost of the coach ticket. The average person can probably accumulate enough miles just on daily purchases (gas, groceries, dry cleaning, medical co-pays, cell phone bill, utilities, etc.) of the course of about four or five years for an upgrade to Europe. An upgrade within North America and the Caribbean could be had in only a couple of years, depending on your spending habits.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Get a credit card that gives you miles and use it for everything

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if it's possible with my Visa credit card, bearing in mind I live in Europe, I don't know if the same rules apply for European as for US Visa or credit cards (American Express maybe)? it's seems to me worth it investigating it though, thanks again , pal!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Get a credit card that gives you miles and use it for everything

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if it's possible with my Visa credit card, bearing in mind I live in Europe, I don't know if the same rules apply for European as for US Visa or credit cards (American Express maybe)? it's seems to me worth it investigating it though, thanks again , pal!
Check out all the options. I have several diiferent plans, but prefer the one that has no annual fees and is applicable to multiple airlines / travel vendors.

I use my 'fee based' ones as business credit cards. I built several houses using credit cards with mileage accumulation. Plunking down a few hundred thousand $ / yr makes GREAT revenue for card company... and YOU get a LITTLE benefit.

For business class travel... get a 'international-traveling-job'. You get to premium levels, THEN you get perks... (double mileage for everything + plateau bonuses. ADDS up quick.) My miles will be for a couple R-T-W tickets, good for 12 stops and used over 12months. I will do Southern Hemisphere, as it is EXPENSIVE place to roam.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You left out what I feel is the most important tip: Make a significant amount of excess money.
I don't think that's necessary.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I've found that one way to avoid paying for plane, ship or trainfare is to walk onto the jet-way, gang-way or into the train backwards and the conductor/gate-agent will be fooled into thinking your actually getting off.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When I travel on business I'm happy in a moderate hotel (Hampton Inn, Courtyard, etc.) My status with my carrier of choice assures me of almost always having a first class upgrade. My business travel flights are seldom longer than two hours, so even if I end up in an aisle seat in coach, it's not the end of the world.

When I travel for leisure I generally want first class plane tickets and upscale hotels. I often use miles and points earned through business travel to subsidize the cost of these, but it doesn't cover everything. That's why I am typing on an eight year old computer, the average age of the televisions in my home are around 12 years old, and while I do have an iPhone 4s, it's because I need a smart phone to do my job, and I needed to replace a dying BlackBerry. The 4S was the same price as the 4 after credits from my cell plan. I'm content with the 4s and not running out to buy a 5. I'll replace my current iPhone only when it stops working--I'm guessing that will be a couple years (or more) from now.

I expect to drive my Toyota Matrix until it's around 15 years old. We're looking at replacing the Prius when it hits 200,000 miles or when the batteries die, whichever comes first. Both are paid for and we've got savings to pay cash to replace the Prius in a few years. Not having $800 in monthly car payments offsets the cost of a two week European cruise on a luxury ship.

I don't have a cleaning lady, that saves me the cost of a couple first class plane tickets every year.

It comes down to priorities. We could travel less expensively, but we can only take three weeks vacation a year, and we're able to travel first class over that three week time frame, so why cut corners when we don't have to?
Everyone is not in the same situation as you, but that does not mean they can't enjoy travel if they make it one of their priorities. I have no need for an Iphone while I'm in Paris
Disregard this post, read your post wrong the first time! You're on point as usual!

Last edited by mongoslade223; 10-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: delete post

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Everyone is not in the same situation as you, but that does not mean they can't enjoy travel if they make it one of their priorities. I have no need for an Iphone while I'm in Paris
Disregard this post, read your post wrong the first time! You're on point as usual!
I own a business so I need to be able to check in daily, even if it's just via email. I can use the iPhone for email, phone calls, and prefer taking that along over a 6 pound laptop. By connecting via WiFi at a cafe for the cost of a glass of house wine, it's much cheaper (and faster) than using the ships email or WiFi.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I own a business so I need to be able to check in daily, even if it's just via email. I can use the iPhone for email, phone calls, and prefer taking that along over a 6 pound laptop. By connecting via WiFi at a cafe for the cost of a glass of house wine, it's much cheaper (and faster) than using the ships email or WiFi.
Annerk, you know you and me is cool I was just speaking on all the posers out there who just have to have all the latest gadgets and gizmos, and then complain they can't travel.
I KNOW I can't go anywhere W/O my laptop

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Right, unless you are living in poverty where you can barely afford your rent and food, then it shouldn't be difficult to save up to a take a big trip every year.

Saving even as little as $200 a month for it gives you $2400 a year for travel. I went to Finland/Estonia for 2 weeks earlier this year and that was about the cost of my trip. Not very difficult to do, especially when you consider that people are probably paying $50 a month for TV and an extra $50 a month for their "smartphones" when they probably could get by just fine on a normal talk/text only phone. Get rid of those charges, that's $100 a month right there.

Honestly, the phone one is probably the biggest. I pay $45/month for my phone and got it for free when signing up for the plan. One of my friends pays $108 a month and bought their phone for $200. So basically they are paying over $750 more per year than I am AND they also paid an extra $200 on top of that. They also pay like $50 a month for cable, while I don't (I just watch TV online). That's another $600 a year they are spending that I am not. So those 2 things right there add up to $1350 a year that they are spending on things that aren't even necessary, and I'm using it for travel... and then they wonder why they can't afford to travel like me... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel