Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,563 times

Advertisements

I want to go to the bahamas soon and the day i want to go only has layover flights from kingston to miami to nassau.... and I am not a us citizen and i dont have a us visa. the bahamas trip is for valentines day and I want to know if I will have any problems with a layover flight in the us.
I am a jamaican citizen

please help.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Usually a visa is only required if you're leaving the airport.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Without a visa, you can't get through immigration to leave the airport. As long as you stay in the airport, it isn't an issue.

I suggest that you get yourself a tourist visa if the layover is long enough to leave the airport and look around. Usually, there is not enough time between flights to make it worth leaving the airport and going through the hassle of getting back into the airport through security.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Very Few US airports have International Transit Lounge.

MIA has (or had) one for American Airlines (AA) flights years ago, Not sure if its still there. I would check with the airline your are flying to and from MIA to see how that handle International to International, Flight,

Most US carrier make you clean customs/immigrations in MIA, so you would go out of MIA as a domestic flight.

You should contact the US embassy in Jamaica to see what the requirement are for a Transit Visa.

General Information | Embassy of the United States Kingston, Jamaica

Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
You NEED VISA. Even if you don't leave the airport you NEED A TRANSIT VISA if it is required for Jamaicans to go to the U.S.

The U.S. does NOT have international transit lounges anymore. No airport in the U.S. has one and U.S. law not the airlines decide the procedure. You will go through U.S. immigration and customs. Also if you are flying NAS-MIA-KIN you will go through U.S. immigration and customs IN the Bahamas so you will be arriving in the U.S. as if it was a domestic flight. Again you NEED a transit visa if it is required for Jamaicans.

Just fly through another country or non-stop on Caribbean airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel