Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
So the murder rate in Canada is relevant to a discussion about tourism in Mexico, yet you don't feel the murder rate in Mexico is relevant to a discussion about tourism in Mexico. That's some logic you are using there.
Not exactly. I'm saying that a tourist in Mexico within a tourist resort is in no more danger than they would be at home. Comparing overall murder rates lumps the average tourist in with a who lot of bad people who get killed while doing bad things. Big difference.

Quote:
Really? Please reread what you posted above.

This discussion is truly becoming painful to continue.
Buh bye.

FYI, friends of mine from TO just left this morning for Mexico. I'll let you know when they get back safe and sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
FYI, friends of mine from TO just left this morning for Mexico. I'll let you know when they get back safe and sound.
I am friends with a Canadian soldier who just returned safe and sound from Afghanistan. Maybe you should try vacationing there.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
In 2011, the murder rate in Mexico was 24 per 100,000 citizens. By comparison, the 2011 murder rate in the United States was 4.8 per 100,000 citizens.

To say that the murder rate in Mexico is no different than in the United States is incredibly naive at best.

Caveat emptor.
I agree with you on this one.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Years ago I decided against going there. I'm not a resort person. I can't see spending money just to stay sequestered inside a resort ~ I want to be out exploring the culture and the life. My brother-in-law went to Mexico once with a family from Guadalajaro and they warned him that he had to stay with them at all times when they were out and about.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Yes, tourists have been killed in the US. However tourists being killed at a resort is far more common in Mexico than the US or Canada. In fact it is extremely rare in the US and Canada. Having said that, you are still pretty safe staying at a resort in Mexico. In fact the greatest danger at Mexican resorts are the Timeshare sales people.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
In 2011, the murder rate in Mexico was 24 per 100,000 citizens. By comparison, the 2011 murder rate in the United States was 4.8 per 100,000 citizens.

To say that the murder rate in Mexico is no different than in the United States is incredibly naive at best.

Caveat emptor.
And murder rate alone doesn't give the whole picture.

Just like in the USA, most murders involve domestic violence, gang killings. Even tourists aren't always immocent people who just got murdered for no reason, some tourists get involved in drug deals and purposely put themselves around the worst kinds of people.

The murder rate that matters to most people would be the stranger-on-stranger murder and crime. Most homicide in Mexico, just like in the USA is targeted, bad drug deals, domestic violence and gang vengence.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And murder rate alone doesn't give the whole picture.

Just like in the USA, most murders involve domestic violence, gang killings. Even tourists aren't always immocent people who just got murdered for no reason, some tourists get involved in drug deals and purposely put themselves around the worst kinds of people.

The murder rate that matters to most people would be the stranger-on-stranger murder and crime. Most homicide in Mexico, just like in the USA is targeted, bad drug deals, domestic violence and gang vengence.
Yep. This is exactly what matters to me as a potential visitor, matters in my hometown, as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yep. This is exactly what matters to me as a potential visitor, matters in my hometown, as well.
Yes -- and the homicide rates in Mexico are actually down from what they were back when people thought travel in Mexico was quite safe.

Special report: Calderón years trail others for Mexico homicides - El Paso Times

What's interesting is how much higher the homicide rate of Mexico was in the 1940s, the 1950s and 1960s. The reality is that the homicide rates in Mexico have always been fairly high but no one thought twice about traveling there in those days. Most homicides involve domestic violence, romantic triangles. Tourists aren't generally targetted, not in the past, and not today.

The cartel violence as bad as it is in places, doesn't actually target innocent tourists. My guess is that for the typical tourist who isn't making drug deals of any kind or caught up in romantic triangles, Mexico is pretty much as safe as it ever was when it comes to homicide.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Yes, tourists have been killed in the US. However tourists being killed at a resort is far more common in Mexico than the US or Canada. In fact it is extremely rare in the US and Canada. Having said that, you are still pretty safe staying at a resort in Mexico. In fact the greatest danger at Mexican resorts are the Timeshare sales people.
yep them land sharks are brutal...getting through the airport at Cabo was like running a gauntlet

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- and the homicide rates in Mexico are actually down from what they were back when people thought travel in Mexico was quite safe.

Special report: Calderón years trail others for Mexico homicides - El Paso Times

What's interesting is how much higher the homicide rate of Mexico was in the 1940s, the 1950s and 1960s. The reality is that the homicide rates in Mexico have always been fairly high but no one thought twice about traveling there in those days. Most homicides involve domestic violence, romantic triangles. Tourists aren't generally targetted, not in the past, and not today.
We can thank the US media outlests and their "shock factor" reporting on crime in Mexico for creating a relatively new found fear amongst most Americans about traveling to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel