Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
If I had to pick a part of the world I'm just not interested in, it would be Eastern Europe (Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, etc.). I have nothing against the people there. It just that of all the places in the world to visit, that area would probably be the last on my list.

As for places in the US, if I had to choose a state I'd avoid vacationing in, it would most likely be Utah.
The old Eastern Bloc countries never appealed to me either - I think because I always got a picture of gray, drab, ugly cities. Then I met a guy with family from Czechoslovakia and saw some pictures - it was lovely (beautiful outdoors areas - I'm sure there are some ugly urban areas). Also, when I used to think of Utah I thought of Salt Lake City which does not appeal to me on any level. Then I discovered the national parks in southern Utah - Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, etc. Absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've only been to Montreal. Loved it. What I really want to see are the Canadian Rockies.
They are awesome! I've driven from Victoria Island to Quebec City. I've also driven Saskatoon/Edmonton/Calgary/Kamloops/Vancouver and Calgary/Edmonton/Jasper/Banff/Calgary. (These are in addition to the cross country trip.)

For someone who just wants to see the Rockies, I'd probably do Calgary to Jasper and return--it's an easy one week trip and you'll see the major sites with plenty of time for hiking and hot springs soaks. I'd suggest late May/early June before it gets really crowded.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
LOL! I've a friend who went to Cuba a while back. He said he is glad he saw it but never wants to return.
If it wasn't for the sanitation issues, I would likely return to Veradero. However, after getting as sick as I did in Cuba, I am not in any rush to return to any Caribbean destination anytime soon.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
[Mod cut: orphaned - this post has been deleted]
I was only ever sick in Cuba (and harassed by beggars in Havana). I haven't had any health issues anywhere else I have traveled, within Canada, the U.S. or Ireland, and I have never been robbed on vacation ever. [Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 03-06-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If it wasn't for the sanitation issues, I would likely return to Veradero. However, after getting as sick as I did in Cuba, I am not in any rush to return to any Caribbean destination anytime soon.
There are lots of Caribbean destinations where you probably (I say probably because you never know for sure anywhere!) wouldn't get sick. The British Virgin Islands are gorgeous and I found the people to be lovely.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They are awesome! I've driven from Victoria Island to Quebec City. I've also driven Saskatoon/Edmonton/Calgary/Kamloops/Vancouver and Calgary/Edmonton/Jasper/Banff/Calgary. (These are in addition to the cross country trip.)

For someone who just wants to see the Rockies, I'd probably do Calgary to Jasper and return--it's an easy one week trip and you'll see the major sites with plenty of time for hiking and hot springs soaks. I'd suggest late May/early June before it gets really crowded.
Banff is one of my obsessions, just from pictures!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Venezuela is back on my list now that Hugo is gone.

Seriously a lot of what we take for granted in the first world is dangerous in the third world. After reading the scary **** on SA I now rethink letting my wife go exploring alone in the second and third world.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

There is no such place as Victoria Island. It is Vancouver Island where the city of Victoria, which is the capital of British Columbia is located. I lived in Victoria and Vancouver.

I do agree that the best way to see the Rockies is to go from Calgary to Jasper.

I have done it many times. I grew up in the Canadian Rockies. I have not only driven across Canada a few times but have also done it by train. We did a circle tour on the Rocky Mountaineer train 5 years ago

Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Las Vegas
New Orleans
Times Square
Niagara Falls
The Grand Canyon

Basically anywhere that others hype up.....

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Are there places you always hear about and you think "I'd never go there." Popular places, off-beat places, any place you just don't want to go? Not bashing now, just someplace that doesn't interest you.

Here's mine: Chicago. It's cold in winter, hot and humid in summer, and if I want to go to a large northern city, it'll by New York. Now, I'm not bashing Chicago - I know lots of folks love it. But I have limited time and money so have to pick....

California, anything in Florida past St Augustine, the Middle East, Asia, Las Vegas, New York, New Jersey and a few other places but these are the top seven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel