Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times

Advertisements

I like to consider myself relatively tolerant. Some whimpering/crying is to be expected on take-off and landing due to pressure changes. It can be quite painful for an adult, and expecting a 3 year old to "man up" is cruel.

I do some 25'ish sectors a year (avg 2 flights per month), most of them ultra-long haul due to my current residency in Australia.

On my most recent leg, we were flying Hong Kong-Sydney, a 9 hour flight. One baby screamed for 8 of those nine hours. At the end, the child's voice was strained and tired, but still screaming. Often, it wasn't normal crying but blood curdling "I am in extreme distress" screaming. The child only quieted down during meal times, but for a kid to scream like that for so long, negligence must be an issue.

On short flights to holiday destinations (eg NY to Florida), it's to be expected. People, parents of young children included, can and will take vacations. I seriously question parents' motives when they choose to take their infant/toddler on long intercontinental flights. Some itineraries (US to Australia or US to Africa) can require almost 30 hours of flying. I like to imagine that such parents fly with good reason, such as an international move or visiting far flung members of the immediate family. However, I can well imagine many couldn't resist the $900 special to Hong Kong.

What's really fun is when the screamer's family lays out for business class. I don't begrudge mom the (likely well-earned) glass of champagne and humane treatment, but it's rather..indecorous when you see mom and dad wheeling junior into the Auckland airport Emirates first/business lounge...wailing like a banshee. True story. Fortunately, he went on a different flight. It was amazing though how the parents just wheeled him through the lounge to the separate dining area seemingly oblivious to the screams. People in that lounge would have paid anywhere from $1000 (round trip on the short NZ-Australia segement) to nearly $20,000 (refundable F class fare to Europe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 AM

48 posts, read 63,985 times
When someone annoys me, I let them know. Sternly the second time, if needed. Usually, that's enough to make it stop.

I hate people who take their kids on the plane when they can't keep their goddamn mouths shut. Spending hours on an airplane sucks enough as it is. And no, your kid is not cute or special to anyone but you, so don't think we don't get annoyed when it's crying or being loud, because all of us do.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
What's really fun is when the screamer's family lays out for business class. I don't begrudge mom the (likely well-earned) glass of champagne and humane treatment, but it's rather..indecorous when you see mom and dad wheeling junior into the Auckland airport Emirates first/business lounge...wailing like a banshee. True story. Fortunately, he went on a different flight. It was amazing though how the parents just wheeled him through the lounge to the separate dining area seemingly oblivious to the screams. People in that lounge would have paid anywhere from $1000 (round trip on the short NZ-Australia segement) to nearly $20,000 (refundable F class fare to Europe).
Exactly. No one needs that kind of aggravation.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:20 AM

This will probably make you laugh:

Airline fees I'd be happy to pay. - YouTube

Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesfella View Post
This will probably make you laugh:

Airline fees I'd be happy to pay. - YouTube
Love it!!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
When I'm in cattle class I try not to recline very much if at all as I hate it when the person in front of me does it.

As for little monster kicking the back of my seat: I've had this happen a couple of times and I just turn around and glare at a parent.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM

302 posts, read 368,977 times
OMG I would gladly pay a premium for this service AND flights that do not allow cell phone use in - flight !!
Maybe some parents should look into ocean liner tickets , that way the kids can have fun and be in their own rooms when they want to have tantrums / be sick or annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As a childfree person I'd happily pay more if airlines had this option.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcq2UDrR-U

Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
I have been annoyed by untended children misbehaving on a plane. I've also been annoyed by impatient people who don't know how hard it is to travel wifh children and assume we're doing it just to bother them. Pick your poison.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I can't stand kids. There's too many. Adopt the ones that already exist with no homes instead.

I know they're little and cry because they are young, but I would love to just chuck them out the window when they whine too much. Send them on a boat or in a transport with sheep.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 8,036 times
Default sick children

i love some of you commenting you cant just cancel taking a flight due to a sick brat.
i would like to thank all of you who have taken your sick kids on a plane. so everyone else on the plane will get sick also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel