Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Most people aren't really interested in leaving the country, those of us who are interested in leaving the country will go to the United Kingdom or France. South America is seen as a pretty dumpy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Most people aren't really interested in leaving the country, those of us who are interested in leaving the country will go to the United Kingdom or France. South America is seen as a pretty dumpy place.
This is a ridiculous post and quite inaccurate in my experience. (I will also refrain from generalizing!!)
I studied abroad in Spain, so I don't fit in your little "UK and France" thing. And I know a lot of people who studied in Chile or visited Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and other countries in South America. They find it fascinating.

I think Americans would travel more if more of us had the money to do it. Sure, a lot wouldn't, but I think many would take the opportunity.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When I visited Cuenca, I didn't meet any English speakers at all. So I am wondering when Americans "discovered" Cuenca as a suitable destination.
Cuenca has become one of the top American expat destinations in South America. But, more than likely, they've created their own gated/HOA community outside of Cuenca.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Since we're talking about a continent, and not a country, maybe you could share with all of us the areas that are dumpy?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Time and expenseIn Kansas City, I would have to change planes just to fly to Miami or Los Angeles, where most South American flights originate. South America is such a large continent with major distances between points of interest, so travelers have to reduce to one nation, and perhaps even one city/region. From my starting point, a flight to BUE is $1,500. LIM is $1,000. Quito (UIO) is $850. In each case I would have to fly to Dallas, then to Miami, then to the destination. Reaching Quito would take 13 hours.

Most people want to relax on vacation, not be stressed by airport travel, jet lag, finding food and lodging and transportation in a nation where you may not know the language, then on the way back, explaining to a narrow-minded customs agent why you traveled to Bolivia in the first place. Many Americans won't be able to put two and two (time and expense) together to make a trip possible.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Time and expenseIn Kansas City, I would have to change planes just to fly to Miami or Los Angeles, where most South American flights originate. South America is such a large continent with major distances between points of interest, so travelers have to reduce to one nation, and perhaps even one city/region. From my starting point, a flight to BUE is $1,500. LIM is $1,000. Quito (UIO) is $850. In each case I would have to fly to Dallas, then to Miami, then to the destination. Reaching Quito would take 13 hours.

Most people want to relax on vacation, not be stressed by airport travel, jet lag, finding food and lodging and transportation in a nation where you may not know the language, then on the way back, explaining to a narrow-minded customs agent why you traveled to Bolivia in the first place. Many Americans won't be able to put two and two (time and expense) together to make a trip possible.
Well the good thing about South America is that if you know Spanish, the whole continent bar Brazil and a few other small ones is open to you. It's not like Asia or Europe with many different languages.

Definitely a fascinating place to visit, landscape, nature, culture.etc, one I have to visit soon.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
This is a ridiculous post and quite inaccurate in my experience. (I will also refrain from generalizing!!)
I studied abroad in Spain, so I don't fit in your little "UK and France" thing. And I know a lot of people who studied in Chile or visited Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and other countries in South America. They find it fascinating.

I think Americans would travel more if more of us had the money to do it. Sure, a lot wouldn't, but I think many would take the opportunity.
We have to generalize, we are talking about the general American public here... most people i know consider a trip down to Florida a "big vacation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Since we're talking about a continent, and not a country, maybe you could share with all of us the areas that are dumpy?
Honestly compared to what we are used to pretty much the whole continent, parts of Argentina are pretty nice though.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
And once you get a glimpse of those towering Andes Mountains, you'll be hooked forever! Taller than anything we have here in North America!

Once you learn some Spanish (and you don't need to learn much of it travel comfortably) you suddenly have 22 keys in your pocket to 22 Spanish-speaking countries.

Everytime I've gone to South America, I fly LAN out of L.A. on night flights!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
We have to generalize, we are talking about the general American public here... most people i know consider a trip down to Florida a "big vacation"

Honestly compared to what we are used to pretty much the whole continent, parts of Argentina are pretty nice though.
Well my visit to SA was limited, but I didn't consider any of the places I saw dumpy at all. Devil's Island was creepy for sure, but only because of the history.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Well my visit to SA was limited, but I didn't consider any of the places I saw dumpy at all. Devil's Island was creepy for sure, but only because of the history.
He never called it dumpy for one second.

90% of the people who know I went to Colombia can't believe it because they just assumed I'd get shot. Just because you like South America doesn't mean it's not generally thought of as an undesirable destination by a lot of Americans. Most prefer Europe over South America. That's just how it goes.

South America has more crime and more poverty, it only makes sense that more people would opt for Europe. It's easier in literally all aspects. South America is more of a niche destination, or you have a ton of idiot mongers or weird ass people living illegally because they think the US government is going to start concentration camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel