Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 AM

407 posts, read 1,561,458 times

Advertisements

I'm still in shock over a recent international trip where I brought my pet in the cabin with me, and the gate agent did not mock me for a simple request to be included in the "pre-boarding" group in order to get my kitty in her carrier settled under the seat in front of me before the crush of boarding passengers happened. (It's not quite as easy as stuffing your backpack or travel tote under there.) My hat is off to the Lufthansa folks in Frankfurt who smiled and let me board with the "families with young children" group, so I was out of the way with little fuss.

I don't often travel with my pet, and the last time I did and made the same request was traveling United. Not only did the gate agent mock me at the desk when I made the simple, polite request, but afterwards he proceeded to walk over to the group of fellow United employees and continue to mock me. He apparently thought me not only stupid, but also deaf.

Here's a "hat's off" to a simple act of kindness that made an otherwise stressful trip so much easier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,023,005 times
Continental was such a great airline too

If I were you, I'd have complained big time to United. Especially because they make such a big deal about how "pet friendly" they are.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 AM

43,984 posts, read 44,764,282 times
I didn't know that airlines allowed people to travel with their pets (except for service animals).

Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM

32,765 posts, read 48,499,773 times
Lufthansa has the reputation of being the best airline to travel with dogs. I'm not surprised to hear that they are good with cats, also.

I haven't have any problems traveling with dogs on United. But, I try to be unobtrusive and I don't ask for special privileges. If pet owners draw too much attention to themselves or cause too many issues, the airlines will respond by no longer allowing carry-in pets.

Let's see, out of the ordinary dog issues on airplanes? I once had a stewardess try to take my "carry-on" and put it in the overhead bin. We got a laugh about it when I told her that was a dog and had to go under the seat.

Once the flight attendant took my puppy from me and I have photos somewhere of the puppy in the cockpit being cuddled by the pilot.

Almost an issue. I had a fight canceled and was moved to another airline that did not allow dogs in cabin. Fortunately, I had all the proof that the dog was a service dog, but they gave me a bad time about it. I don't remember what airline, but I don't think it was United.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,991,231 times
Most airlines allow pets to travel on domestic routes if it can fit in a container that in turn can be fit under the seat.

OP this is good - on the flip side I've seen to many families that interpret "pre-boarding with small children" to include their 13 year old son with his refrigerator sized carry-on. In other words you got people abusing the privlidge and airlines were not enforcing the pre-boarding requirements. In your case it was clearly justifiable.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:20 PM

407 posts, read 1,561,458 times
I did send an email to the United Customer Service regarding the incident, however I never heard back. United used to allow pets in all three cabin classes, and I have been on their frequent flyer program for almost 20 years... but now pets (except service animals) are only allowed in coach class.

I agree that Lufthansa is one of the better pet-friendly airlines - have had to travel with two or three cats a couple times and they usually draw straws to see which one gets the cabin with me (or is stuck with me while the others escape and sleep in the cargo section, depending on the point of view). The crew makes sure I am kept apprised of their status at every stop and reassures me that they make it on any connecting flights.

I realize that there are good and bad employees in every business, but even after all these years, it is that one bad experience that colors my opinion of United. I still use their miles and book their tickets, but I have to say I try and get routes where I know they are code-sharing with some other airlines that have better pet policies, entertainment options, and overall comfort in the cabin.

As for requesting special attention, I'm paying a couple hundred dollars (in some cases) to bring one small cat on board, and this IS something that requires a little extra time to settle in. I only travel with them every couple years and I don't feel that it is an unreasonable request - it actually smooths boarding as I am not holding up other passengers when the rush is on.

In reality, I am just looking forward to the day when I never have to get in a plane again.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,023,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I did send an email to the United Customer Service regarding the incident, however I never heard back. United used to allow pets in all three cabin classes, and I have been on their frequent flyer program for almost 20 years... but now pets (except service animals) are only allowed in coach class.

I agree that Lufthansa is one of the better pet-friendly airlines - have had to travel with two or three cats a couple times and they usually draw straws to see which one gets the cabin with me (or is stuck with me while the others escape and sleep in the cargo section, depending on the point of view). The crew makes sure I am kept apprised of their status at every stop and reassures me that they make it on any connecting flights.

I realize that there are good and bad employees in every business, but even after all these years, it is that one bad experience that colors my opinion of United. I still use their miles and book their tickets, but I have to say I try and get routes where I know they are code-sharing with some other airlines that have better pet policies, entertainment options, and overall comfort in the cabin.

As for requesting special attention, I'm paying a couple hundred dollars (in some cases) to bring one small cat on board, and this IS something that requires a little extra time to settle in. I only travel with them every couple years and I don't feel that it is an unreasonable request - it actually smooths boarding as I am not holding up other passengers when the rush is on.

In reality, I am just looking forward to the day when I never have to get in a plane again.
Delta allowed me to fly with my cat in first class. Don't know if you are a frequent flyer with UA or not. If not, it's something to consider. I like Delta a lot more than I do United.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,139,544 times
I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I've flown with my dog and it's easier to get him settled under the seat while there are less people on the plane. I've only ever flown Southwest while traveling with him, but I only had good experiences. It costs a LOT of money to carry on a pet, so I too feel they should be accommodating about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel