Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

Hate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I don't love or hate packing. I pack the night before the trip and if I'm going on a long trip I will pack my big suitcase because I get a free checked bag. If I'm going domestic then I just pack my carry on. Packing for me is a 15-20 minute process.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
eh, I've moved 8 times in 5 years and taken so many short trips in between and that does not include the packing that was done as a child when we lived in 15 different states before I was 15 years old.
I make a list of what I will need then start at the top of the list and pack until the list is completed.
It isn't something I stress over since I've done it so many times for trips or moving or both.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Here are some good packing tips:
How to Fit Two Weeks Worth of Luggage Under the Airplane Seat in Front of You

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Packing takes me maybe ten minutes at best. I'm leaving for around three months in two weeks. Know what I'm bringing? Two pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts, about 5 pairs of socks and underwear, 4 tshirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, a small toiletrie kit, a book, a camera, my iPad, passport, a photocopy, moneybelt, and IDs/cards. All fits in my 20L backpack. I never understood why anything else is necessary...unless of course you are a woman which would still only require a few extra hygiene items.

Actually, I even look forward to picking up basic items abroad. It's fun to see and browse through foreign hygiene things for some reason. Depending on where you're going, you might even save money if you wait to pick them up after you arrive.

Oh, and a good tip is to roll your clothes. Saves you wrinkles and space.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
There's a couple of places where I have family and I go there regularly. So I stashed a bin with everything I need for a single trip and now I just get on the plane with a book. That's the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Oh, and a good tip is to roll your clothes. Saves you wrinkles and space.
Rolling my clothes has only ever made them a lot MORE wrinkled, and takes up equal space (physics). If I need to minimize the wrinkles for all my stuff, I use a hanging bag, otherwise I just accept that things will wrinkle (especially if I rolled them) and wash/iron as needed during the trip. If I just need one suit, I usually wear it on the plane. Uncomfortable, but easier than packing it and after I'm done with it I just cram it in the bag and dry clean it when I return.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM

Possibly you are not rolling them tight enough. I get no or minimal wrinkles when I roll. Folding them in the traditional way does take up more space. Especially if it's a back bag.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:15 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Folding them in the traditional way does take up more space. Especially if it's a back bag.
No, physics wins.
But if you're comparing a really tight roll to a bad folding job, then there will be extra air space in there which could make them more bulky as a unit. Also if you don't pack them thoughtfully into the bag, there will be a lot of air between which again will take up more space. If you really want optimize the space that take up you can get some of those compression bags, but talk about wrinkles… And if you think your rolled shirts are un-wrinkled than your definition of "minimal wrinkles" is probably pretty loose. Wearable casual tshirts? Sure. Pressed dress shirt? Not.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 PM

What physics? Elaborate instead of just repeating the word 'physics'. I used to fold and stopped when I realized it takes up more space. I can stack several more rolls in the same space that would take up three or four layers of folded shirts or pants. If I place the folds upright, they get crammed under the weight of other stuff and get even wrinklier on top of using even more space. I am not seeing the physics here.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
I used to hate packing but since retiring I travel so much that it's become a routine and easy task. I don't even think about it, just throw stuff in and go. Using packing cubes really helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel