Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Flying risk is extremely low.

on short USA flights 2 - 6 hrs... I sleep ... from before take-off (taxi) until landing ...Bump / bump

I rarely take drugs, but a 1/2 tablet of Tylenol PM gives me 6 hrs sleep and not groggy.

Sleeping is excellent way to spend the hours flying. (Not much else to do + you are rested when you arrive)

I keep well insured + company adds double life pay out for flying accidents. (You can bet they did their Statistical homework). My family would take A LOT more flying vacations if I went down on a schedule flight while on company business!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Xanax is a terrific drug. My doctor recommended it and he was right.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Xanax worked a little bit for Mrs Ghengis but the biggest improvement for her came when we flew first class one time and now it's pretty much a requirement and she is much better.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Xanax worked a little bit for Mrs Ghengis but the biggest improvement for her came when we flew first class one time and now it's pretty much a requirement and she is much better.
Mrs. Ghengis sounds like one smart lady!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 AM

I used to be afraid to fly. I'd be in a state of high anxiety from days before the flight until we landed safely. I was sure I was going to die every time I had to fly somewhere. At work one day before a vacation to Florida, I told a coworker exactly the status of everything I was working on, and during the course of the conversation I said, "And if I don't come back, the older files are all HERE" and another coworker overheard and asked me why I would say a thing like that. I was surprised at the question and said, "Well, I'm FLYING there." She still looked puzzled, and I realized that maybe not everyone else expects to DIE when they're leaving for vacation.

I tried all sorts of tricks to alleviate my anxiety while on the plane. For example, it occurred to me that even if God wanted to kill me, maybe he wouldn't want to kill all those other people on the plane, so I would look around the cabin while we were still on the ground and pray for EVERYONE ELSE to have a safe flight. You can see how I tricked God with that one, eh?

I am no longer afraid. I worked in the World Trade Center, and one day, somebody flew a big plane into my building. There was a brief period of time when I thought I seriously might be facing the moment of my death. I didn't die. A lot of other people did. If that plane had hit ten minutes earlier or later, I could have been dead and some of them could have been alive.

Eventually I came to realize that I'm gonna die when I'm gonna die and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. The next time I flew somewhere, I was surprised at how calm I was and how low the anxiety level was. You know what? If you die, the sun will come up the next day without you.

Now enjoy your flight!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgirl85 View Post
So I have always had anxiety about flying, but ever since the Malaysian Airlines flight I have been extra anxious. I am going on a trip next week and I am convincing myself that it will crash. I am afraid if I go on it it will be my last time I breathe life. I know the stats, but it doesn't help because it's almost like I convinced myself I'm having a psychic thought or something ( I don't believe in all that, but it's getting that bad.)

I do think it could be all the change in my life. The last few years have been chaotic and stressful, and now I am landing a good job, dating someone awesome, and finally having some stability. It also could be that I did not pay for this flight so my controlling nature is having a field day.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone else been convince they were going to die while traveling and found out that it did not happened?

I really don't know how to help you, but I can assure you, many people share your fears. I used to have a horrible fear of heights and flying. I got over the flying fear simply by flying so much. Of course I am still nervous, I think most of us are and I sigh a sigh of relief when that plane is on the ground and I am about to walk into the terminal. I still have a horrible fear of heights, but not on a plane. Mine is more like being on balconies or glass elevators, anything where my entire body is facing the outside.

No one can advise you, but we can all say, just go, try to relax as much as possible and have a good trip. The Malaysian incident was probably human caused and our chances of something like that happening to us are slim. Heck you could get in a traffic accident tomorrow or be hit by lightening. No one promises us we will live to be 100...

I don't think for one second your fears are totally irrational. I think many people share them. I would suggest, if you have a family doctor you asked about meds, just for this trip. it is better than you having a true panic attack.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:23 PM

^^^You will not have been the first person to ask your doctor for Xanax to ease the fear of flying. He or she will likely have no problem writing you a prescription.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Here's how I do it. First there are car accidents everyday and I still drive. Second as for flying there are more considerations involved than just one person. I'm sure the pilot and crew want to get home so the positives outweigh any negatives.

In short on take off its in God's hands so just let go of any fears. I'm more afraid of child support than I am about flying.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 18,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Speak to your doctor. Your fears are irrational. Therapy and medication would be appropriate.
I know they are. I've never had such a strong feeling before. It could be to stress and change.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 18,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to be afraid to fly. I'd be in a state of high anxiety from days before the flight until we landed safely. I was sure I was going to die every time I had to fly somewhere. At work one day before a vacation to Florida, I told a coworker exactly the status of everything I was working on, and during the course of the conversation I said, "And if I don't come back, the older files are all HERE" and another coworker overheard and asked me why I would say a thing like that. I was surprised at the question and said, "Well, I'm FLYING there." She still looked puzzled, and I realized that maybe not everyone else expects to DIE when they're leaving for vacation.

I tried all sorts of tricks to alleviate my anxiety while on the plane. For example, it occurred to me that even if God wanted to kill me, maybe he wouldn't want to kill all those other people on the plane, so I would look around the cabin while we were still on the ground and pray for EVERYONE ELSE to have a safe flight. You can see how I tricked God with that one, eh?

I am no longer afraid. I worked in the World Trade Center, and one day, somebody flew a big plane into my building. There was a brief period of time when I thought I seriously might be facing the moment of my death. I didn't die. A lot of other people did. If that plane had hit ten minutes earlier or later, I could have been dead and some of them could have been alive.

Eventually I came to realize that I'm gonna die when I'm gonna die and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. The next time I flew somewhere, I was surprised at how calm I was and how low the anxiety level was. You know what? If you die, the sun will come up the next day without you.

Now enjoy your flight!
Wow! Experiencing 9/11 first hand would give some perspective. Yes I am convinced I'm going to die in a crash, but your right if it's my time, it's my time. I think it's the fear of death for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel