Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 18,537 times

Advertisements

The thing is, I'm afraid that I'm going to crash on this flight…if I was to fly another time, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgirl85 View Post
The thing is, I'm afraid that I'm going to crash on this flight…if I was to fly another time, not so much.
Which flight is it? just so if it does crash we can be amazed at your prophetic insight..

Old 07-12-2014, 03:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Maybe you should get a Rx for Xanax...

Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Which flight is it? just so if it does crash we can be amazed at your prophetic insight..
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but that made me laugh.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Mind over matter. You can do this. Learn to focus on something INTENSELY.

I have a friend who practices EFT and I've met others who use it. If you can find someone who does that it's supposed to be pretty amazing.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I also have fear of flying. It's not because I'm dying (not scared of death much), but it's the agonizing anticipation that follows to the crash and the physical pain you get once you crash - People say death is instant but I really do think that you feel extreme pain right before you die. I also hate the idea that you can never get out of the situation - I mean, when a ship starts to sink there is always some escape, but when a plane 'wrecks' in air, you have nowhere to go...

Anyway, I hope you have a safe flight. Please don't mind my words, it's just that I feel the same way too towards flying.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,803 times
It probably won't help you with your upcoming flight, but over the long term you can take flying lessons. The knowledge gained will eliminate any irrational fear you would have.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgirl85 View Post
So I have always had anxiety about flying, but ever since the Malaysian Airlines flight I have been extra anxious. I am going on a trip next week and I am convincing myself that it will crash. I am afraid if I go on it it will be my last time I breathe life. I know the stats, but it doesn't help because it's almost like I convinced myself I'm having a psychic thought or something ( I don't believe in all that, but it's getting that bad.)

I do think it could be all the change in my life. The last few years have been chaotic and stressful, and now I am landing a good job, dating someone awesome, and finally having some stability. It also could be that I did not pay for this flight so my controlling nature is having a field day.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone else been convince they were going to die while traveling and found out that it did not happened?

I don't know. I mean clearly one of the worst things you could do would be to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvo091_tSGM#t=135

And, for the the sake of your sanity, please don't watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRxiUFwgJg

Last edited by lizardspock; 07-12-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I don't know. I mean clearly one of the worst things you could do would be to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvo091_tSGM#t=135

And, for the the sake of your sanity, please don't watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTRxiUFwgJg
I never really had a fear of flying, but I was actually watching that movie on a flight back from Europe when that scene came on. It did freak me out a bit and I closed the laptop for a while right after it. While I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles in my life I still don't want to see a scene of a plane crash while I'm actually on a plane. I had no idea that scene was in the movie and I would not have watched it if I had.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I have a fear too, I used to love flying then I was on a bad flight where an attendant fell on me, it was that bad.
I have a family member who was a jet mechanic. Talked to him - didn't make it better. Read a top-rated book on Amazon that helped people - didn't help. Took a flying lesson - didn't help.

Xanax helped on my previous flight. Took one the night before, got up way early - very little sleep, so when I got to the airport took one more before boarding so once I was on, I could barely stay awake. I felt like I was barely on the plane at all. I have a high tolerance for meds, don't sleep well, so I needed 2 and took as doc directed (one the night prior, one 30 min prior to boarding) so, it worked well for me. Coming back, it was late afternoon so I took one prior and it didn't do anything so I took a 2nd later, and it finally helped but not as much.

I know how you feel though. I luckily don't need to fly often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel