Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 AM

60 posts, read 131,250 times

Advertisements

So I have an upcoming flight where I will be leaving the UK, changing flights in France and then landing in Atlanta. But then the friend who was suppose to pick me up cannot, so he took it upon himself to book me a flight from Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham. Layover time in Atlanta is 1 hour and 30 minutes.

As these are two different airlines but are "partnered", I checked into whether I would make that final leg and was told "when you first check in, tell them at check-in you are heading on to Raleigh once you arrive in Atlanta and to tag your bag accordingly, so it goes straight on thru. I then asked if I would have to go thru immigration in Atlanta OR would I just go straight to my gate. I was told " I don't know". So, I called the other airline and they said "Oh no, you will have to deplane, go thru immigration, get your bags, find your new terminal, check in, go thru security and you may not make it, especially since all baggage would have to be checked in 45 minutes before the flight leaves".

I do not think I have enough time to do all of the above. So, does anyone know: even though these are 2 separate itineraries, will I possibly make that last leg of my flight? And, can I indeed, when I arrive at the airport here in the UK, tell them to send my baggage on through to RDU? Will I HAVE to go thru immigration and security again in Atlanta?

As an aside, when I asked the French airline why I would have to go thru immigration and then airport security in Atlanta, they said that any time a flight lands in the U.S. and there is another connecting flight, you still have to go thru all that. Have things changed? Because last time I flew from China, I flew into Japan, then Newark and then on Raleigh without going thru immigration till I reached Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
You will go through immigration and customs in Atlanta. The US requires people to go through both at their first US airport. You will have to pick up your bag to go through customs, then drop it again to have it checked to RDU. This has been the rule for as long as I've been flying international - so at least 25 years.

Ask the airline to put the two separate tickets on one itinerary - this should give you some protection in the event you do not make your connection.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim7 View Post
"Oh no, you will have to deplane, go thru immigration, get your bags, find your new terminal, check in, go thru security and you may not make it, especially since all baggage would have to be checked in 45 minutes before the flight leaves".
This is standard for all connecting international flights. No problem. It all happens at the same point and location, like an assembly line. An hour and a half should be OK, delay's can happen. That's just the nature of flying. Don't worry about it.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is standard for all connecting international flights. No problem. It all happens at the same point and location, like an assembly line. An hour and a half should be OK, delay's can happen. That's just the nature of flying. Don't worry about it.
Actually,1.5 hours is NOT okay. Atlanta has a separate terminal for international arrivals. Between immigration (you have a UK passpory, right? ), customs and transport to the domestic terminals I think its more likely you will not make that RDU flight. We've done connections in Atlanta (to Phoenix and RDU) from international departures MANY times. I never accept less than 2.5 hours (And we hold a US passport, which is faster thru immigration.)

I do agree that in many airports 1.5 hours might be adequate. Not Atlanta, IMHO. If your arrival flight is delayed 15 minutes, you're screwed. But if the ticket has been purchased already, you're pretty much stuck. I agree that you should get it ticketed separately and cross your fingers. Carry on baggage only if at all possible!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Yep. What mpheels said. You'll have to go through customs in ATL and re-check your bags.

If you're on Delta, it shouldn't be a problem. There are a dozen or so flights between ATL and RDU each day. Even if you miss your connection, you'll llikely get on the next flight. I think AirTran is the only other airline that has non-stop from ATL to RDU, and I'm not as familiar with their service.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
You don't really have 1.5 hours. You have 45 minutes to deplane, go through immigration and check your bag in for the flight to NC. That's the real race for the clock here, is checking the bag, no making the other flight.

You run a huge risk of not making it.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually,1.5 hours is NOT okay. Atlanta has a separate terminal for international arrivals. Between immigration (you have a UK passpory, right? ), customs and transport to the domestic terminals I think its more likely you will not make that RDU flight. We've done connections in Atlanta (to Phoenix and RDU) from international departures MANY times. I never accept less than 2.5 hours (And we hold a US passport, which is faster thru immigration.)

I do agree that in many airports 1.5 hours might be adequate. Not Atlanta, IMHO. If your arrival flight is delayed 15 minutes, you're screwed. But if the ticket has been purchased already, you're pretty much stuck. I agree that you should get it ticketed separately and cross your fingers. Carry on baggage only if at all possible!
My layover in ATL to Managua is now about 1 hour 55 minutes which is a HUGE improvement from the 45 minute layover I originally had. I had a panic attack for 2 days until I called Delta & they informed me the flight times had changed months ago w/out my knowledge, lol. Phew! Much happier now.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I used to live in Atlanta, ATL was my second home practically. I'm a Delta million miler. It will be tight no doubt, but it's doable. I mean it's OK in terms of you can't really worry about what happens because a multitude of other factors might come in - flights delays, back up in immigration, etc. This is all routine for me, I don't worry about it, perhaps not for you and other new flyers that worry about each little bump. Atlanta is very efficient, being connected by the train-shuttle, and one through you can get from Concourse E to the farthest gate in Concourse A in a matter of minutes, at least I can.
Let's put it this way, if she has an option of keeping this flight, or changing it to get the next connecting flight 5 hours afterwards, particularly if he or she has to pay for the change, keep the reservation, take your chances, and if you miss it they will put you on the next flight (being aware that there will be a risk that the flight is booked).
My recommendation thus stands - it will be OK.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Quote:
Let's put it this way, if she has an option of keeping this flight, or changing it to get the next connecting flight 5 hours afterwards, particularly if he or she has to pay for the change, keep the reservation, take your chances, and if you miss it they will put you on the next flight (being aware that there will be a risk that the flight is booked).
Yup!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel