Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

I've visited most of the places I want to go. I guess the following would be on my bucket list at this point:

Churchill, MB (not a country per se, I've been to Canada and Manitoba, but I want to see the polar bears.)
Australia
New Zealand
St. Petersburg, Russia (again not the entire country, just that city/area)
South Africa
Egypt
Morocco
Poland
Ireland

Of all teh places I've been, Italy and Croatia are the two at the top of my bucket list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I see many people have included Egypt. I wrestled with putting it on my "revisit" list. But decided against it.

Travel to Egypt is simply too dangerous today. Back when Mubarak had an armed "police officer" on every other street corner, it was a safe (if horribly repressed) place to visit. And I've been just about everywhere in Egypt. Spent nearly a year there. I decided not to include Egypt because other than the Temple of Hatshepsut, most of the sights are of the "been there, done that" variety.

Egypt is a pressure cooker. I don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when it blows.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I see many people have included Egypt. I wrestled with putting it on my "revisit" list. But decided against it.

Travel to Egypt is simply too dangerous today. Back when Mubarak had an armed "police officer" on every other street corner, it was a safe (if horribly repressed) place to visit. And I've been just about everywhere in Egypt. Spent nearly a year there. I decided not to include Egypt because other than the Temple of Hatshepsut, most of the sights are of the "been there, done that" variety.

Egypt is a pressure cooker. I don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when it blows.
I agree. It seems that every time we begin to feel it's safe and start thinking about a visit, within a few months things go south there again. Right now we wouldn't feel safe in Turkey, either, which is unfortunate as it's gorgeous.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
The UK
France
Italy
Norway
China
Japan
New Zealand
Viet Nam
French Republic
South Africa
Tibet
Iran

Last edited by kat949; 10-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Only 12??

Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 AM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Of all teh places I've been, Italy and Croatia are the two at the top of my bucket list.
The Croatia response surprises me. If you don't mind, what kind of vibe do the people have?

Conservative, liberal, friendly?

I can only imagine that they are more community minded than us Americans are. (generally speaking)

Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Spain
Italy
France
England
Australia
Columbia
Peru
Mexico
Greece
Maldives
Any of the Saints in the Caribbean! lol (St. Barts, St Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, etc.)
Sweden

Old 10-13-2014, 11:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
The Croatia response surprises me. If you don't mind, what kind of vibe do the people have?

I can only imagine that they are more community minded than us Americans are. (generally speaking)
Liberal, friendly.

The mistake that modern travelers make is that they look at the world with it's modern borders. Look at the way the world was during the Byzantine era, or when Venice ruled the Mediterranean.

That's why so much of Croatia looks like this:

Seriously, what's not to like?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Not including revisits:

- Argentina
- Chile
- Germany
- Russia
- Lithuania
- Ukraine
- Japan
- India
- New Zealand
- China
- Uganda (or the Democratic Republic of Congo in safer days)
- Botswana

For revisits (and these are places I encourage everyone to go at least once in their life):
- Iceland
- UK
- Spain
- Mexico (real Mexico - Gringolandia on the coasts do not count. Nothing like the energy of Mexico City or the mystique of Oaxaca!)
- the Netherlands
- Poland
- France
- Israel

Old 10-13-2014, 12:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Only places I haven't been:

-Peru
-Egypt
-Mali
-Jordan
-Myanmar
-Venezuela
-Ethiopia
-Zimbabwe
-Uganda
-Norway
-Iceland
-Tanzania

Old 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post

Super friendly, moderate/independent thinkers, well educated, welcoming. English has been compulsory in schools since 1991, so over half of the population speaks some English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel