Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,084 times

Advertisements

Im planning a trip to Fla. With my three kids (14,12, &10). This would be a gift for Christmas/daughters bday because while my boys have gone to Disney with family friends, she never has. Also, my kids have never met my grandmother who lives in Fla. Because I have never been able to afford to take the kids on vacation especially to Florida and my grandmother also cannot afford to travel to see us. As morbid as it sounds, my grandmother is not going to live forever and shes well into her 70's and I really want my children to meet her. So...I am doing my damnest to save money so we can take this trip. Needless to say, I need to plan out the most inexpensive way to travel, feed every one, and take part in activities including Disney world. Any ideas or knowledge on where to find deals etc...would be greatly appreciated. Along with the answer to my question. ..if I rented a car (because mine will not make it) and drove round trip would it be much less expensive than plane tickets for 4? (About 900$)? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Just you Driving?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
It might be cheaper (particularly if you got unlimited mileage), but have you thought out 40 hours in a car with 3 kids and only one driver?

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
$900 for four plane tickets is pretty darn good.

Some things to factor in:

Hotel for the drive ($100 per room per night)
food along the way (at least $200 each way)
gas (at least $300)
car rental ($25 per day)
your happiness (priceless)

For 8 days, that's about $1000. So for a week, you come out better by flying.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Beware, many cars rentals in the Tri-States area specifically disallow taking them out of the tri-states area.

Frankly if your car is in that condition, I would focus my money on that rather than taking the kids to Disney. I never went as a kid, and it didn't kill me. Find cheap tickets on kayak.com and go visit your grandmother for a long weekend. Take the kids to the beach. They will have a great time and you won't spend a fortune.

With only you driving it will take a minimum of two days in each direction, and you'll be exhausted. A car big enough to make that drive with four people and luggage is going to run you $400 for the week and $400 in gas. Add in a hotel night on each way, it will be cheaper to fly.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Beware, many cars rentals in the Tri-States area specifically disallow taking them out of the tri-states area.

Frankly if your car is in that condition, I would focus my money on that rather than taking the kids to Disney. I never went as a kid, and it didn't kill me. Find cheap tickets on kayak.com and go visit your grandmother for a long weekend. Take the kids to the beach. They will have a great time and you won't spend a fortune.

With only you driving it will take a minimum of two days in each direction, and you'll be exhausted. A car big enough to make that drive with four people and luggage is going to run you $400 for the week and $400 in gas. Add in a hotel night on each way, it will be cheaper to fly.
This^^^

Disney isn't going anywhere, perhaps another time.
I would go visit Granny, relax, go to beach

Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
What about rail travel instead of plane?
{thoughts}

Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What about rail travel instead of plane?
{thoughts}
Surprisingly not cheaper than flying, and it would take about 24 hours each way.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 AM

Just because my car won't make the drive to Florida and back does not mean its not fine for what I use it for. I drive to/from work, take the kids to activities etc...I can even make six flags new England and back. So thanks for the advice annerk but my car is fine for now. Also, just a note. I didn't ask anyone if this was a good idea, and I HATE the beach. Im simply asking if anyone knows of any good ways to save money, find deals, etc... ik Disney isnt going anywhere but who knows what life will be weeks from now let alone years from now. My kids and I love to take trips together and go to amusement parks. Its always just us, me being the only adult/driver/financer. Weve just never gone as far as Florida. I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week. I pay my bills take care of my kids and I think we deserve a litte pampering. Sorry if some of you disagree. If anyone has anything that might actually help I'd love to hear from u.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:08 AM

One more thing. The plane tickets are actually 500$ per person. Sorry I guess the person who told me theyd run about 900$ was still living in 1994.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel