Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As I said, there are often as good or better fares on other carriers. Spirit and Southwest have both done a con job on the Sheeple, making them believe they are the cheapest, when often they are not. And unless it's the last flight of the day, other carriers would get you to your location the same day if they bump you. Plus give you money or tickets, plus usually a first class upgrade.
Name the carrier that will take me from Palm Beach to Atlantic City for $58 round trip... Sheeple? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Have you ever tried it? I didn't think so. When I was a kid my parents took me and my three siblings on 1000+ mile drive straight through trips every summer. As a parent, I've taken my wife and two kids on many as well. For one thing, the kids will sleep 75% of the time. In any event, it's neither your place nor my place to tell her what her kids could tolerate.
Point is there were TWO ADULTS in car not one

Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Whoops, wrong thread-- two people asking about going from CT to Orlando.
No worries.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Name the carrier that will take me from Palm Beach to Atlantic City for $58 round trip... Sheeple? Really?
Actually I've taken US Airways from MCO to SWF for $139 r/t which included an actual carry on plus small personal item and the ability to select my seats for free at the time of booking. That itinerary is far better for the OP than driving all the way to ACY. Additionally if there was a problem with the flight, US has plenty of other planes to swap out.

Now that I think about it, SWF might be a great option for the OP--flights from there are usually cheaper than BDL and the NYC area airports, and it's an easy drive from CT.

Also Spirit only flies one day a week from BOS to MCO, big problems if that flight is cancelled due to no interline agreements. They going to wait another week to travel? Out of Boston they run in the $200 range, you can get a better price on a legacy with better baggage rules and pre-selected seats out of PVD or SWF. Plus if there are ir ops there will be interline agreements.
Spirit might work for snow birds who travel down and back between their homes and don't need to carry anything but a book with them, and have no big deal if they are delayed a week in either direction. For the average traveler, they are a very poor choice.

Last edited by annerk; 08-02-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually I've taken US Airways from MCO to SWF for $139 r/t which included an actual carry on plus small personal item and the ability to select my seats for free at the time of booking. That itinerary is far better for the OP than driving all the way to ACY. Additionally if there was a problem with the flight, US has plenty of other planes to swap out.

Now that I think about it, SWF might be a great option for the OP--flights from there are usually cheaper than BDL and the NYC area airports, and it's an easy drive from CT.

By the way, let's get real, you had to pay to join the "club" to get that price with no guarantee of getting discounted tickets when you joined.
If you can show me a possibility of them getting that rate to MCO in December, I'll concede, although the $139 quoted is still $39 more which is paying for your checked bag. I didn't recommend the op drive to ACY, I was quoting LGA. I can get a round trip for 4 on 12/3 From LGA to MCO returning on 12/10 for $404.00 without checked bags.Four checked bags would bring it up to $492.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:32 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
The Kids need to go to school......

I'm The earliest they could go is probably the Night of the Dec 19th, But more Likely Dec 23rd.

And This is all academic The O/P has not been back since Page 1 of the Thread...

Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
If you can show me a possibility of them getting that rate to MCO in December, I'll concede, although the $139 quoted is still $39 more which is paying for your checked bag. I didn't recommend the op drive to ACY, I was quoting LGA. I can get a round trip for 4 on 12/3 From LGA to MCO returning on 12/10 for $404.00 without checked bags.Four checked bags would bring it up to $492.
No reason to pay for a checked bag. On US you can take your roll on bag to the gate and they will gate check for free. That's mid week to midweek in early December, which I highly doubt the OP wants to do--she has kids in school.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:14 PM

719 posts, read 986,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That might have been the lesson for you. Not everyone enjoys the same sorts of things. Some people enjoy going to Disney multiple times, and that's certainly their choice, and nothing wrong with doing what they want.
Good grief you're an argumentative git. Did, at any time, I say that the lesson I derived wasn't something that *I* alone derived? That it applied to everyone? That I was placing a universal, one-visit-only embargo for Disney World trips on all of humanity? No, I didn't. Get bent.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Good grief you're an argumentative git. Did, at any time, I say that the lesson I derived wasn't something that *I* alone derived? That it applied to everyone? That I was placing a universal, one-visit-only embargo for Disney World trips on all of humanity? No, I didn't. Get bent.
My apologies. Your post did not mention that it was a lesson you learned just for yourself. I read it as a general opinion of the place, applicable to anyone. Thank you for clarifying.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
17hrs isn't too bad broken into 2 legs. (bad wording sorry) That's about 4 DVD's per day so you'll need 16 DVD's.
Pack snacks/sandwiches, etc. Capri Suns are great to freeze so they can keep your cooler cool.
My sister was talking about an organization that takes an RV to a campground where you'll be staying and they set it up and have it waiting for you when you pull in. I don't know how much that will cost.
Priceline, name your own price is always fun.
I'd stick with 8hr travel. You'll have time to relax in the hotel/campground pool. there was a white water rafting place that cost my son and me $13 to stay in their group cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel