Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Ok, looks like this thread has veered way off course and is no longer answering the intended question that was originally posted.

I had hoped this thread would not go down the road it did, which is why my original post asked for constructive tips and not questioning/judging the decision that was already taken.

Everyone has their own way of parenting and no one can say doing it one way is better than another way. No one should compare their own kid's upbringing experience with other's because everyone's situation is unique. Everyone has their own beliefs and thoughts and this should be respected by all, whether it be to take a kid to a far away land or keep them in their own home for the first year. On what the kid should be eating by which age to when the kid should be potty trained. Most parents know what is right for their situation and these types of comments are not constructive and are rarely welcomed.

I will update this posting once we return from our trip so that I can answer the original questions posed.
However putting an child who is not toilet trained into a public swimming pool creates a health concern for others making it something that is not just up to the parents to decide. It's gross and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:57 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Mexico should be considered SECOND world, especially in a metropolitan area. That said, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd want to spend money to go on an "international" trip with a baby in tow! Sounds like a waste of money - so much time spent trying to "make do" in a hotel room taking care of the baby! Save your money until you can afford a babysitter?
Having been to Mexico many times, I would say it is barely getting out of third world status, but it is still there. This is just me speaking from a visual point.

While I agree that taking a baby along an international trip is "a waste of money", it isn't your business what the OP chooses to do. There could be many reasons why the OP chooses not to leave the baby home.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Having been to Mexico many times, I would say it is barely getting out of third world status, but it is still there. This is just me speaking from a visual point.

While I agree that taking a baby along an international trip is "a waste of money", it isn't your business what the OP chooses to do. There could be many reasons why the OP chooses not to leave the baby home.
I don't understand how it is a waste of money when most likely there is no additional cost to bringing the child along? The airfare is likely free and the resort probably isn't charging for a guest that young. In addition, the focus of your trip to be to have fun while you are there and having great memories is a bonus.
Maybe it is a cultural thing. My parents took me on my first trip to Disneyworld when I was two months old and I obviously have no memory of that trip but my parents do so it wasn't a wasted trip for them

Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
As for warming the milk, iirc we often placed the babies' bottles of milk under the hot water faucet, maybe in a pan, to heat them.
If there is an in-room coffee maker or electric kettle, you could probably MacGuyver it by doing a pot of hot water, letting it cool down to 140F or so, and then putting the bottle into the pot like it's some sort of double boiler.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Hi all,

We are thinking of celebrating our niece's first birthday in Cancun at an all inclusive resort (Paradisus) and was wondering what facilities are available for infant care?

Specifically:
- Since there are no microwaves in the rooms, how to warm water for meals/milk? Is it as simple as calling room service and asking for warm filtered water?

- Are cribs typically available at these resorts? If not, we would bring our own travel set.

- Are there stores along hotel zone where we can buy extra diapers/wipes and supplies ... just in case?

It will be all our first time in Cancun and also at an all-inclusive resort so we're ready for a learning curve but will force ourselves to make the best of any situation we will face.

Any tips and tricks with travelling with infant to Cancun would be welcomed (not the type along the lines of "keep the kids at home").
We can all give you information,, but your best bet is to call the resort or email them. As for childcare for infants, I really doubt there will much available.

Now, as for AI, they can be really fun family vacations. Cancun is a fun place, but make sure you are careful when leaving the resort and do purchase travel insurance just to be on the safe side. Reading the rest of this thread, I see you have already thought about the insurandce.

I will add one thing, it sounds like you are trying to have a fun family trip, but as others have said, the birthday girl isn't really who you are thinking about. Do remember, traveling with a toddler can be more work than fun.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-13-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 12:09 PM

233 posts, read 230,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I don't understand how it is a waste of money when most likely there is no additional cost to bringing the child along? The airfare is likely free and the resort probably isn't charging for a guest that young. In addition, the focus of your trip to be to have fun while you are there and having great memories is a bonus.
Maybe it is a cultural thing. My parents took me on my first trip to Disneyworld when I was two months old and I obviously have no memory of that trip but my parents do so it wasn't a wasted trip for them

We have been travelling internationally (to Latin America, Asia) with our 3-year old since he was one. The amazing thing is that he does remember quite a bit from those trips. A few home videos that we shot of our child splashing in the water waves, playing with other childs in resorts' pools, climbing the steps of ancient ruins, help to remind him of the good times in those trips. We also buy him local souveniers from those trips, things that also help him remain connected to memories from those wonderful trips. As a bonus, I think he is getting a head start in his knowledge and understanding of study of foreign geography and culture.

To the OP, just go for it 100%! It looks like you are doing all the neccesary research and preparation in advance to have a very enjoyable trip.

Last edited by mechgator; 02-13-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Every all-inclusive resort I've ever known of was adults only, because they serve alcohol for "free" and guests are frequently sloshed. That's definitely not a place I'd take a child, especially a baby. Nevermind what the other guests would think of someone invading their vacation with a screaming infant.
Oh heavens that is certainly not the case.In fact the first really well known AI were family oriented. We have stayed at many that were not only open to all, but very family friendly. We took our granddaughter to a AI in Cancun for her 7th bD. and no, not everyone was slashed.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
They make swim diapers specifically to insure that this doesn't happen. Any responsible parent would make sure to bring them along and most places where there are likely to have small children swimming will have them in a shop nearby
To be honest, swimmy diapers are not leak proof. That is why on cruise ships kids that are not potty trained are not allowed in any of the pools. The best plan for babies, is to take a small, blow up pool for them.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
I don't understand how it is a waste of money when most likely there is no additional cost to bringing the child along? The airfare is likely free and the resort probably isn't charging for a guest that young.
Because you can't really enjoy many of the things that an all inclusive resorts offer (water activities, dining, dancing and LOADS of drinking) while responsibly parenting. If you just want to play in the water with your kid, most one year olds can't tell the difference between a basic pond or pool and a luxurious tropical resort. But it's your choice and there will probably be no shortage of older parents to dote on a cute little one year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
However putting an child who is not toilet trained into a public swimming pool creates a health concern for others making it something that is not just up to the parents to decide. It's gross and rude.
If the child is wearing a proper swim diaper and parents watch for signs of their child preparing to move their bowels, then there is no more health concern than swimming with any other people. (Old folks leak too) And if it's not against pool policy then it's not rude, even if some people think it is.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:24 PM

681 posts, read 2,801,048 times
So we got back from our trip and really enjoyed it. As promised, I will answer my questions I posed and also provide tips for others thinking of travelling with a Toddler to Cancun.:

- Since there are no microwaves in the rooms, how to warm water for meals/milk? Is it as simple as calling room service and asking for warm filtered water?
We used the water immersion heater which was suggested and worked out perfectly! We could have asked room service, but their timing was not reliable.

- Are cribs typically available at these resorts? If not, we would bring our own travel set.
Cribs are not typically available at resorts, but at Paradisus, they were plentiful. Not only did we have cribs available in our rooms, there is also a baby room play area in the resort where they have multiple cribs.

- Are there stores along hotel zone where we can buy extra diapers/wipes and supplies ... just in case?
Yes. There are many pharmacies in the hotel zone and convinience stores that you can go to do grab supplies. Most resorts also have their own convinience stores where you can buy supplies as well as reasonable prices. If you really want, there is a Walmart in town which you can get to using a taxi cab (~$30 US one way) or the R2 bus route (~$1.50 US one way) from the hotel zone.

Additional info that may help folks planning a trip to Cancun with an infant:
- Paradisus Cancun is super family friendly. They accomodate infants/toddlers/children/teens. This doesn't mean that this resort is over run with families, quite the opposite ... there are specific areas for kids/families .. another area for adults only and things in between. Works out well. All the restaurants and buffets have high chairs and can accomodate you if you ask for mashed/pureed items for infants.

- We did a tour to Tulum with our niece. We opted to use a tour operator which worked out great. However, the next time I would have rented a car to go at our own pace. The only reason why we didn't rent a car is because I read mixed reviews on driving in Mexico. While observing the road on our tour, I concluded that the drive between Cancun and Tulum is no different than driving on an interstate here in the US. Roads are great, most people obey the speed limits and we didn't see any Police officers stopping cars along the route to harass/get bribes as many folks have commented on other boards. The ruins in Tulum are very accesible for folks with strollers.

- Car seat: Take one with you. Although it's not law in Mexico, I say take it just in case. It actually came in handy for us because there wasn't a rocking chair at the resort to sway our niece to sleep/nap and we put her in the car seat which acted as a rocker. She also was used to the seat from home, so it was something that she was familiar with.

- Bring your own sunblock. Buying Sunblock in Cancun is very expensive. $40-$50US is not uncommon for a bottle of sun block at most stores in the Hotel Zone.

- The public transit is very easy to use in the Hotel Zone. We used the bus with our niece to get from our hotel to La Isla mall and it was not very hard. We did have to hold her in our arms and keep the stroller folded up because the bus we used was not a low floor bus, but there are low floor buses that come by often where you can keep the child in the stroller without blocking the aisles.

If anyone has other questions on travelling with a Toddler to Cancun, please feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel