Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Aisle- I've spent too much time over the years on wee regional jets and turbo props where the window seat has less space than even a middle seat would.
I noticed that too. I am a big guy and can fit in a normal plane seat just fine, but on a turboprop I feel cramed in on the window seat and just fine on the asile seats.

Much as I like to look out the window I prefer the aisle seat, I feel less crammed in and I don't have to climb over someone to use the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:07 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I'm claustrophobic as it is, so an aisle seat is a necessity. In a window or middle seat I feel trapped, panicky and utterly miserable.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Aisle. And close to the front, as I almost always have to run to another gate to catch another flight. Second leg, aisle. But near the center. At the end of the flight, I need to call for pickup, so I can meander out and go the bathroom, check out some airport stores, and lollygag at baggage claim.

I fly Southwest, as I prefer puddlejumping. Yeah -- I'm weird.

I also pretty much only fly to Pittsburgh and back to Oakland. On the way home, I puddlejump to Vegas, have to wait 2 1/2 hours to catch the next flight -- I play slots a little, eat, stretch my legs, relax....

Puddlejumping might take longer, but it makes me more relaxed. I'm not a good flyer, and this works for me.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
window so I can look at the sky and ground

Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I fly Southwest, as I prefer puddlejumping. Yeah -- I'm weird.

I also pretty much only fly to Pittsburgh and back to Oakland. On the way home, I puddlejump to Vegas, have to wait 2 1/2 hours to catch the next flight -- I play slots a little, eat, stretch my legs, relax....

Puddlejumping might take longer, but it makes me more relaxed. I'm not a good flyer, and this works for me.
Interesting ... I've never heard puddlejumping as a verb. I've only heard of "puddlejumpers" referring to the very small short-distance planes that carry only a dozen or so people.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Aisle if I am flying in steerage, could care less in First (on the occasional upgrade).

I am tall enough and wide enough (no "bleed over" into my seatmates space, but I do "fill" an airline seat) so that most window seats require me to lean to avoid the arching of the fuselage - even in the larger aircraft.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I have the same POV as many others. I like a window on the short flights and an aisle on the long ones. I have to pee so often it isn't fair to others to make them move over and over for me, and I'm very short, so it's easier for most people to move past my legs from their window seat than for me to move past a taller person's legs who is sitting in the aisle. As for the middle seat, I pity those who get stuck with them, whether it's myself or someone else. Those offer no advantages at all, save the opportunity to sit next to your loved one perhaps, and that may not even be an advantage, depending on your relationship You're crowded by a neighbor on either side, you have to walk by someone to get to the bathroom, and you can't see out the window easily either.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:39 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I used to always get window. Now I have realized the error of my ways. Aisle forever!

I like to get up once or twice during a flight, to get the blood flowing to the extremities. If someone needs to get to the lavatory, no problemo! An excuse to get up.

Now that I have tiny, light devices to watch/read (Kindle, Mac Air) it's no biggie.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
One downside of aisle is getting whacked by the service cart or people walking down the aisle. It's a toss up for me but I'm usually happy as long as I don't get the middle

Old 04-14-2015, 05:46 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
One downside of aisle is getting whacked by the service cart or people walking down the aisle. It's a toss up for me but I'm usually happy as long as I don't get the middle
I had a middle seat on a flight once. I was able to hop on a flight a whole two hours earlier to Los Angeles - arriving at 5:30pm was better than arriving at 8pm. I was excited to leave earlier than scheduled, so the middle seat wasn't bad. I sat between a man and a woman and the four hour flight wasn't so bad. I don't want to make a habit of sitting in the middle, but that trip was painless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel