Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 PM

556 posts, read 946,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
for North American legacy airlines it's fairly simple -- you get a meal on international flights (except transborder CAN/US), you don't get a meal on domestic or transborder flights. knowing Jesse44's he was likely talking about transatlantic flights or flights in Europe.

that said, I find it rather outrageous that a carrier can offer a 9-hour flight and not offer food. I know it's all about what the competition will or won't offer, but still.
They most likely do offer food, just not for free. I think all of the US legacies offer food for purchase in economy on mid-to-long range domestic flights. I mostly fly Delta for domestic, so can only speak confidently for them, but they have a reasonably decent menu of snacks and sandwiches. If I don't have time to grab lunch during a connection, the cheese and fruit plate is a pretty good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 04:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In other countries, they give Food and Drinks no matter how small is the duration of the flight. In USA, they have taken Corporate Greed to a new level by smaller seat pitch and by making passengers starve.
Actually, corporate greed has nothing to do with it. It's consumer selection. Consumers have told the airlines over and over again that the only thing that matters is cheap airfare. And that's what we now have. Airfares are cheaper today than ever.

All airlines would gladly provide food and larger seats if the consumers would pay for them.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
that said, I find it rather outrageous that a carrier can offer a 9-hour flight and not offer food. I know it's all about what the competition will or won't offer, but still.
They do offer food. At least all of the ones I have flown on.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, corporate greed has nothing to do with it. It's consumer selection. Consumers have told the airlines over and over again that the only thing that matters is cheap airfare. And that's what we now have. Airfares are cheaper today than ever.

All airlines would gladly provide food and larger seats if the consumers would pay for them.
Competition drives the prices down-not exploitation of customers who have no other choice. Airfares are low in other countries also, they do not see such exploitation of customers like poor Seat-Pitch, no Food and Baggage charges. Will they allow Foreign Airlines to compete in US Domestic Sector where they can provide better seat pitch, food and yet provide competitive air fares to passengers? I can show you by example also on specific routes internationally where American carriers charge more yet exploit passengers on poor food, low baggage allowance, poor seat pitch. There was a time when PAN AM used to be the best in the world. Now in this era of corporate greed, the only motive of Airlines in USA is to block competition and exploit customers and also misguide that we are providing cheaper airfares.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:00 AM

518 posts, read 764,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

I wouldn't discount corporate greed so quickly...this just in:

US Probing Possible Airline Collusion That Kept Fares High - ABC News

Quote:
The U.S. government is investigating possible collusion among major airlines to limit available seats, which keeps airfares high, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press.

The civil antitrust investigation by the Justice Department appears to focus on whether airlines illegally signaled to each other how quickly they would add new flights, routes and extra seats.

A letter received Tuesday by major U.S. carriers demands copies of all communications the airlines had with each other, Wall Street analysts and major shareholders about their plans for passenger-carrying capacity, or "the undesirability of your company or any other airline increasing capacity."

The Justice Department asked each airline for its passenger-carrying capacity both by region, and overall, since January 2010.

Justice Department spokeswoman Emily Pierce confirmed that the department is looking into potential "unlawful coordination" among some airlines. She declined to comment further or say which airlines are being investigated.

Thanks to a series of mergers starting in 2008, America, Delta, Southwest and United now control more than 80 percent of the seats in the domestic travel market. They've eliminated unprofitable flights, filled more seats on planes and made a very public effort to slow growth to command higher airfares.

It worked. The average domestic airfare rose an inflation-adjusted 13 percent from 2009 to 2014, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. And that doesn't include the billions of dollars airlines collect from new fees. During the past 12 months, the airlines took in $3.6 billion in bag fees and $3 billion in reservation-change fees.

That has led to record profits. In the past two years, U.S. airlines earned a combined $19.7 billion.

This year could bring even higher profits thanks to a massive drop in the price of jet fuel, airlines' single highest expense. In April, U.S. airlines paid $1.94 a gallon, down 34 percent from the year before.
Again what you said is also true...consumers DO want super cheap airfares. But there is also another side as well.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
I wouldn't discount corporate greed so quickly...this just in:

US Probing Possible Airline Collusion That Kept Fares High - ABC News

Again what you said is also true...consumers DO want super cheap airfares. But there is also another side as well.

Airlines FINALLY have a couple of good profit years ... and now they are "greedy bastards."

What about all of those years where MOST airlines were hemorrhaging money???

Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Well I usually fly Ryanair so I use the buy on board facility that is provided. To be honest the food is quite nice and the cost of it is reasonable. Ryanair stock things like Pain Au Chocolate, Doritos/Pringles you know fresh packaged things rather than the crappy clingfilm sandwiches.

Otherwise I would go to a place airside such as Subway and get cold sandwiches and crisps. There is no point in getting hot stuff.

If it is a long haul flight I will probably not buy anything. Most of my flights are no longer than 7 hours so I just grin and bear it, the food isn't that bad.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I've had more meals on economy class planes than not. I thought after 3 or 4 hours in flight they're obligated to give you something. The only exception I've ever seen was Norwegian where there was nothing included in the fare from Oslo to Fort Lauderdale.
Are you kidding me!?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
No, they aren't obligated to give you anything. Just last week, I had an almost 5 hour international flight that they (United) for all practical purposes considered domestic and we got beverage service twice (coke, juices, water, coffee -- you paid for any alcohol), but nothing else. I can't tell you the last time I got food, other than a bag of peanuts or pretzels, on an economy domestic flight.

My go to food, though, for non-food flights is a Subway sandwich. I never eat them but I absolutely crave them when I'm getting on an airplane. I have them cut in half so I can eat with less mess throughout the flight.
I don't like the way United makes you use a credit card to buy food.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
In other countries, they give Food and Drinks no matter how small is the duration of the flight. In USA, they have taken Corporate Greed to a new level by smaller seat pitch and by making passengers starve.
A trip report that how Food was served even in 20 minutes flight in India.
Kingfisher IT 432: 08/OCT/06: IXA-GAU: Y Cabin — Trip Reports Forum | Airliners.net
Not true it depends on the airline. There are some 6 hour flights here with no free food.

In saying that the legacy European airlines like Icelandair and Aer Lingus offer you free food on all flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel