Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were talking about the fact that our 20th anniversary is coming up soon (not until mid-2017) and wondered where to go to celebrate.

Here's the kicker - we tend to have different interests, so picking a place can be difficult.

I like relaxing vacations, but he likes vacations with lots of activities and things to see. I like beach trips, but he's not a fan since he doesn't swim. We both like cold climates, but neither of us ski. He drinks beer, I do not. I like to have non-activity days, he always has to be doing something and doesn't like downtime.

We've made those differences work over the years. We'll go somewhere and he knows at least one day will be a DO NOTHING day. It drives him crazy, but he knows that out of an 8-day trip, I need one day to decompress and do nothing.

Places we've already been over the years include:
Holland and Belgium
Mexico
Scotland
Florida
Hawaii
Washington DC
New York City
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

We won't be able to spend a lot of money on the trip - so that takes Europe out of the equation. We do not like going on cruises, so the Caribbean is out unless we fly there for cheap.

He has already been to some places I have not (or I went before we met), and has no desire to go back - those places include England, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland (OR), Boston, and Aruba. I'd love to go to Paris or somewhere in Italy and he has no desire whatsoever (can't anyway due to cost involved).

A couple places I think he'd like for exploring that would also allow me downtime:
Nova Scotia, CAN
Victoria/Vancouver, CAN
Austin, TX
Chicago, IL

I've also thought about having us rent a small RV and just pick a course and go driving for a week or so, visiting various areas within 3-4 days' drive and back the long way 'round.

Any ideas on a way to have a fun, cost-effective activity-filled vacation (for him) that will also be restful (for me)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:36 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
An Alaskan cruise?

Hang on- you said you don't like cruises.

Bummer.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:40 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Where are you starting from? By "mid-2017" do you mean June - September, or are other times open? How long (min/max) would you be able to take? 8 days only?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:41 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
My best friend went to Banff this past year, and the pictures look AMAZING! I would LOVE to go there one day!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I've got a couple of off the wall suggestions:

Cleveland. See the rock and roll Museum. Go to Akron to see the NFL Museum (I'm not a football fan, but even I had a good time). The downtown restaurant scene is booming. Take a boat ride on the lake. Go to the West Side Market.

(I've traveled extensively over Asia, Europe, the US, South and Central America and South Africa. I consider Cleveland to be the most UNDER rated city I've ever visited. I'm not kidding.)

Memphis. Go see Graceland (I'm not an Elvis fan, but I've been twice. I enjoyed it more the second time!) Go to the Peabody Hotel to see the Duck Walk. Eat some great bbq, listen to some great blues.

Vancouver IS lovely. But expensive.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I agree about Cleveland with lots to do and a great food scene.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Along the lines of the RV trip, develop some sort of "theme" road trip. Travel around visiting famous "oddities" (think World's Largest Ball of Twine sort of thing), amusement parks, Civil War Battlefields, Art Museums, or even locations from "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives". Make the planning just as important as the trip itself.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Along the lines of the RV trip, develop some sort of "theme" road trip. Travel around visiting famous "oddities" (think World's Largest Ball of Twine sort of thing), amusement parks, Civil War Battlefields, Art Museums, or even locations from "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives". Make the planning just as important as the trip itself.
Unless that trip lasts a month or more, you're not gonna see much of what is on that list.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:40 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
What city are you starting from? What's your budget for this 7-day vacation?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Montreal, =
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel