Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I take a pair with me when I am in strange places and climates (some places don't allow shorts).

these pants work, when you have one carry-on bag for a LONG trip in different climates, cultures, and places...trains / planes...restaurants with AC, buses without AC...(GONE all of 2016 for us).
Travel Tip from a long term traveler = bring a sarong or something similar instead.

A sarong is lightweight and multifunction. I still find it pretty funny that people are so sensitive to temperature changes they need to play musical pant legs for an extra 15 inches on their calves, but if the bus AC is too cold just use the sarong.

Sarong also can cover your head in the sun, act as a towel, a blanket for a picnic, privacy screen, clasp, skirt to get into temples, etc.

Last edited by lieqiang; 07-31-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why worry about one style of pants?
For the same reason I'd worry about how I look every other day, whether I'm traveling or not. I'm not running around in a tuxedo but there is a fundamental desire to not look like a dork, which why things like combing hair and having colors of shirt/pants match happen.

Quote:
Compactness cannot be beat. I can travel for two weeks with only carryon luggage if I pack right, and decisions replacing one pair of convertible pants with shorts AND pants makes the difference.
A lightweight pair of shorts from a synthetic material folds to almost nothing and weighs almost nothing, it really doesn't make much of a difference. I can roll up shorts like that and put them in anyone's backpack whether they think it's full or not. When I travel I bring one pair of pants and two pair of shorts, with one of the shorts being something I can swim in. Can always carry on, and travel indefinitely two weeks two years doesn't matter.

Quote:
When I travel I am usually in unfamiliar climates, so I don't really know how to dress. Versatility is best. Added to that, as a tourist I am often out early in the morning (cool), mid-day (hot) and evening (who knows). My daily patterns are much different than when I am at home, and know exactly how I can dress for work.
In the USA in the summer we'd often have days where temperature changes. Long walk with the dog outside, then go the movies inside, then walk around downtown for awhile people watching outside, etc. yet we don't constantly change clothes during the day to manage calf exposure. That's what I don't get, how the act of being on a trip makes it where microcontrol of calves is so much more necessary.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Weight. One pair of travel pants will weigh less than one pair of long pants + one pair of shorts. It may not seem like much, but if you're trying to travel carryon-only those ounces add up. And many foreign airlines have tough weight limits for carryons. Three sets of travel pants replaces six separate items (three shorts and three long pants). For a casual trip, that makes them the more practical choice. (Obviously there not suited for situations where looks count.)
If you're battling issues with carryon weight I think the more practical choice is to rethink whether you need three separate pairs of pants for a casual trip.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Ah (Awe) the travel queen has returned! (all bow down please) (thought so...) My way or the Highway.

1) Different strokes for different folks (only when allowed of course) be we ALL know who is (always) right (write)

Some folks can get along just fine with travel pants

Impossible... (shakes finger in disgust)

May it NEVER be.

(some of us can even think / and TRAVEL on our own ) And can EVEN feed conversations / questions / inquiries / with objectivity

Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
What exactly is the logic behind it?
The convertible travel pants I wear are expensive. That is why I don't wear them outside of travel. I have two different styles ~ the ones that zipper off and a pair that rolls up and buttons into capris, which I prefer (if I can find more of these at less cost, I will wear them often). However, I don't pack just one pair of pants because I don't want to drop what I'm doing to go shopping if I get them filthy.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:26 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
those pants sure look dorky. I am a fan of the brand, and the material, but not the zip feature. reminds me of break away basketball pants. rip the pants off, to show you mean business. But those zippered pants, you still have to take your shoes off to go in short mode.

it is a good idea on paper, but come on son! bring some extra shorts with you. you know you have to go to dinner, dress for it.

I am a blue jeans lover, and get light weight jeans while travelling. Jeans and heat/humidity do not mix. I cant imagine wearing the same jeans all week, 2 days max should be the limit. those jeans trap moisture, the kind in between your legs, just being soaked up by the denim fabric, the stench!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ah (Awe) the travel queen has returned! (all bow down please) (thought so...) My way or the Highway.
Umm nope, I clearly stated:

"I'm not trying to judge here, people should travel however they want to travel and do what makes them feel comfortable"

I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it, because I don't get it. Didn't mean to touch a nerve with you and your travel pants.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:03 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!

I've never thought of them as "made for travel" pants, I see them as just casual or work wear, that happen to have the option of being turned into around knee level shorts, or left at regular length, just touching your shoes.
I acquired a pair purely by accident, I was looking for a pair of chino-like pants, saw them, and figured that the zippered part near the knee was purely decorative, I reasoned that I could suffer that, as I wore them while working as a taxi driver, so few people saw them.
I was mildly surprised to find that the lower part could be unzipped and removed, as having a 33" waist, and 31" inside leg, I rarely tried pants on when buying them, I just bought the 34/31 size that comes in the U.K., as sizes go up in 2" increments here for waist sizes, then I'd have a dry cleaner take the waist in by between a half and one inch, whichever was most comfortable.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:53 AM

For those not familiar with the travel pants, Google Maps happened to catch a guy doing a field conversion from pants to shorts at the Grand Canyon. Is here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0641...7i13312!8i6656

Beautiful view! The background with that canyon isn't bad either.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Travel Tip from a long term traveler = bring a sarong or something similar instead.

A sarong is lightweight and multifunction. I still find it pretty funny that people are so sensitive to temperature changes they need to play musical pant legs for an extra 15 inches on their calves, but if the bus AC is too cold just use the sarong.

Sarong also can cover your head in the sun, act as a towel, a blanket for a picnic, privacy screen, clasp, skirt to get into temples, etc.
You are actually describing a towel.

Ford Prefect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel