Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
If you use a wheelchair what happens to your luggage? How do you bring it with you? I'm also a bit of a germaphobe so sitting in a wheelchair that I imagine mostly elderly people who may wear diapers sit in is gross to me.
You are not going to enjoy your airport experiences as there a lot of walking/standing/waiting.either drop your phobias about wheelchairs or just dont go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:57 AM

23,276 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
If you use a wheelchair what happens to your luggage? How do you bring it with you? I'm also a bit of a germaphobe so sitting in a wheelchair that I imagine mostly elderly people who may wear diapers sit in is gross to me.
Lots of people need wheelchair help in airports, not just elderly incontinent people! People with back problems, heart problems, all sorts of sports injuries, casts, sprained ankles, bunions, you name it. I'm not a germaphobe so have a little trouble understanding this. I doubt very much you will pick up anything from such a brief use of a chair with a synthetic easy-clean seat. You could always bring a simple light jacket to sit on and wash it when you get to your destination. I have had to travel while in walking casts multiple times. It was very easy to arrange. When you make your airline reservations just tell them you need assistance getting to and from your flights. They don't need details of your condition. Some airports use motorized carts to shuttle people, others use individual wheel chairs. Ask them how best to check your luggage (some airports/airlines use curbside skycaps or luggage check counters, others don't). Your carry on bag will go with you either on your lap or hung on a rack behind the chair. Plan a small carry on and check the bigger bag.

Really, its not that complicated. The airline or wheelchair assistant will get you through security too. They do this all the time.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,561 posts, read 81,131,933 times
It can be an hour or more in the TSA line at busy airports like Seattle, 20 minutes at smaller one like Las Vegas, no line at all at very small ones like Long Beach CA. I have not been at some of the biggest ones like in NY or Chicago, but expect them to be worse. Travel in the wee hours, and most will be a lot faster. Sometimes at peak hours even those with precheck will have a 20-30 minute wait.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 AM

625 posts, read 902,800 times
TSA lines at JFK is crazy especially terminal 4 - international.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
I would like to fly to another city in the US, but have not been on a plane since I was 3. I am have joint problems and it hurts alot for me to stand for more than a minute or 2. I am wondering how long you have to stand or wait in line before they let you on the plane? I don't want to use one of the airport wheelchairs because I am a younger guy and I feel it is demeaning.
I'm a road warrior with very frequent business travel. I'm a lifetime 60+ day per winter skier. I'm no stranger to knee operations. It's not demeaning to get pushed though an airport in a wheelchair. It's not like I can handle crutches, a briefcase with my laptop, and a roll-aboard by myself. Not everybody in a wheelchair in the airport looks like a "People of Walmart" photo.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Quote:
Is there an option to sit down and let the other people at the TSA line go first, then go yourself last?
Define "last."

This plan seems like a non-starter, sorry to say. I fly a couple times per year, sometimes more or less adding a bit of business. Lot of variables to different airports. Global Entry, with TSA Pre, helped immensely but isn't a magic bullet to "never" wait, just "often" not need to.

I used a wheelchair once in my life, on a foot fracture. I didn't feel too ashamed. I was 34 or so. If you need it, use it I'd say for a special circumstance.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:11 PM

696 posts, read 904,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's a place under the seat where they can place your rolling carryon. Mom carried her personal item in her lap.

Do you sit in the chairs at the gate? The seats on the plane? I'm not sure how that's different than the wheelchair.
Do they use a different kind of wheelchair now or something? I have seen pictures of people being pushed by airport staff in wheelchairs and it looked like a regular wheelchair without any place to put luggage. Here is an example. I need to know if I decide to use a wheelchair what happens to my luggage and how I get it on the plane. I plan to bring carry on luggage and not check anything.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:
Do they use a different kind of wheelchair now or something? I have seen pictures of people being pushed by airport staff in wheelchairs and it looked like a regular wheelchair without any place to put luggage. Here is an example. I need to know if I decide to use a wheelchair what happens to my luggage and how I get it on the plane. I plan to bring carry on luggage and not check anything.

What this boils down to is: you need to contact the airline you plan to use and ask them. Or contact the airport and ask them. Every airport is different, and I suspect each airline handles things a bit differently as well.

If you request assistance getting to your gate and onto the plane, it will be provided. They're not going to leave your luggage/carry-on behind.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-15-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Not all airports use the same model of wheelchair. But they will make sure that you AND YOUR CARRYON will get to the plane. They're not going to make you leave it sitting on the curb.

You're really overthinking this.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:23 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
the times that we have used wheelchairs the valet pulled the luggage behind him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel