Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

On a side note besides the more popular named tourist spots I'd recommend:
Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame is one of the Black Hills best attractions. https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/bu...ll-fame?cid=79
SD Air & Space Museum just outside Rapid City. South Dakota Air & Space Museum near Ellsworth Air Force Base, Rapid City South Dakota, aircraft, exhibits, photographs, map, and location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 03:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
We drove all the way to Alaska last summer and one of the places that stuck with us as a place "we want to go back to" is the town of Deadwood.

We pulled into town late from many miles of travel, and continued on through for about 10 more miles to get to a campground for the night. I would have loved to go back to spend the day in Deadwood, but we were under a time schedule unfortunately.

The Badlands are amazing. Mt Rushmore, meh, but one of those things to see before you die. I found with all the preservation methods that were necessary, that the faces looked more like plastic than stone (maybe they are?)

Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're into kitschy Americana, plan a stop at Wall Drug and/or the Corn Palace in Mitchell.

The Badlands are beautiful, too.

Edit: If you're going through Wyoming on I-90, take a little detour and check out Devil's Tower.
Devil's Tower is, well, majestic. Remember that that part of the country is high desert, so always pack a sweater/sweatshirt.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
They're stone; they're made out of granite. (In reference to Mt. Rushmore).

Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 AM

19 posts, read 19,100 times
Dear JanND,

Thank you so much for your advice and all your efforts. I really appreciated it.

To be honest: I love driving car and the more I'm on the road the better it is. So I've chosen an extra long tour on purpose. It's beautiful to drive through vast savage land. I really enjoy it and it's more attractive to me than spending to much time in a city. Sure, I want to see the cities, as well. But a few hours are enough for me. Except it's Bozeman! Fell in love with it for whatever reason.

Greetings from Europe!

Babsi

Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM

19 posts, read 19,100 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your recommendations! So now I have enough stuff to check out in advance.

I will be there from end of July to August. Hope the weather will be as good as this year. It will be fun to check out all those beautiful places you wrote about.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 11-26-2017, 02:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
have always wanted to do ^this but the groups book up early and the one time we attempted to get in "the day of..." there were no openings.

staying overnight in the NP Cabins in the Badlands is a must, so that you have the park mostly to yourselves for sunrise and sunset.

pay no heed to those that dismiss Crazy Horse as a rip-off, it's worth every dollar and if you hit it the first weekend in June, you can trek up to the top of the monument.
https://crazyhorsememorial.org/crazy...olksmarch.html

If you go as far East as Bismark, ND there is a Mandan Village and FT Lincoln (7th Calvary) barracks that provides a glimpse of history seldom seen.
Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park
I disagree. Crazy Horse was started by a Polish man. His 10 children and now grandchildren (possibly even great-grandchildren) all are part of the corporation. When we visited the entrance fee was high and the video they showed was just about Korczak Ziolkowski and we learned nothing about Crazy Horse himself. Then we were funneled into some junky gift shops and over-priced restaurants, and then were told if we wanted to see it up close we had to pay another fee to take a van. You honestly see just as much from the road. That family has to make millions each year and they have no incentive to ever finish it. I cannot understand why the Native American tribes aren't upset about that cash cow run by a non-native family.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I disagree. Crazy Horse was started by a Polish man. His 10 children and now grandchildren (possibly even great-grandchildren) all are part of the corporation. When we visited the entrance fee was high and the video they showed was just about Korczak Ziolkowski and we learned nothing about Crazy Horse himself. Then we were funneled into some junky gift shops and over-priced restaurants, and then were told if we wanted to see it up close we had to pay another fee to take a van. You honestly see just as much from the road. That family has to make millions each year and they have no incentive to ever finish it. I cannot understand why the Native American tribes aren't upset about that cash cow run by a non-native family.
I'm also of the belief that Crazy Horse is a rip-off. They've been working on that thing for almost 70 years and they're not much further along than they were when I first saw it 30 years ago. It's a private entity so there's absolutely no transparency about where the money goes, and they nickel-and-dime you to death. Save your money and go to Jewel Cave and the Mammoth Site instead.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
In South Dakota you'll see a million billboards advertising Wall Drug.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I would definitely suggest a Black Hills - Deadwood - Badlands route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel