Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,512,505 times

Advertisements

I should mention that the NJ Turnpike is infamous for the food choices at its rest stops unless you like fast food from dying chains like Roy Rodgers, Arthur Treacher's, chains I rarely see anywhere else. Of course they have Starbucks (surprisingly good sandwiches, and our choice), Burger King and Nathans, too. And they have that famous "don't you dare pump your own gas" feature at the service stations.

The turnpike itself is not the horrid thing many people say, but the scenery is "interesting" if you like industry and commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,535,227 times
I drive back and forth from Charlotte to Cape Cod, MA about every 6 weeks. I never, EVER drive through NYC itself. The tolls and traffic are ridiculous. From Charlotte, I head north on I-77, I-81 north in VA, I-78 east in PA, I-287 around NYC in NJ, then I-95 north when I-287 ends in Westchester Co. NY. The traffic is much better, fewer tolls, and a prettier drive than taking I-95 from NC.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,780,928 times
The best way would be to take I-95 from up north then when you get into Connecticut take the Tappan Zee Bridge towards NY but away from NYC to the NJ Parkway south , then take the Turnpike south when you get around exit 130.

That way you avoid NYC entirely and NJ traffic is not as bad.

The NJ Turnpike is I 95 in the north part but not the south, (i 95 actually goes thru Pennsylvanian but the NJ Turnpike acts like a shortcut) but when you get into Delaware you will see signs for I 95 again.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/CT-1...8c0f95!1m0!3e0

Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 PM

58 posts, read 6,154 times
Just my two cents....having lived in NJ & NYC more than most of my life. I now live in New England and still travel home to see family in South Jersey often.

95 from Maine all the way to 90 and then 90 to 87, then 87 to 287, then 287 to the GSP, then back to 95/NJT (turnpike around exit 129 in the Edison/Woodbridge area) and continue on your route to your destination.

I would completely and entirely avoid driving through Connecticut and NYC! You do not need to. It is backed up ALL of the time. I have left all hours of the day and night and it never fails...there is always some sort of stoppage.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
On my frequent trips from Montreal to Florida i would time the NYC to Richmond leg of the trip to be done late at night like between 10 pm and 4-5 am. traffic was never a problem at those times.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:07 PM

58 posts, read 6,154 times
***edit***

Realized I failed to say driving down 95 through CT and NY is unnecessary, not avoiding CT completely. You need to go through it on 90.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,914,629 times
Using Waze and maybe google maps at the same time, as you are driving, you have to make these choices. I drive the NE corridor a lot from DC to Boston and you never know traffic till you are closer.

More times than not, the fastest way is typically the GW Bridge, even though it's always congested and it's hard to really avoid at least some 95 congestion north of NYC in CT. Since they have finished widening the Jersey Turnpike, It's a lot better. One hint about that is I would use the truck lanes, they typically are less congested. Try to avoid the DC area during the evening rush (which starts about 3pm) or you will be delayed for hours on the beltway and 95 south of DC. Have an eazypass and use the HOT lanes.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,961,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Using Waze and maybe google maps at the same time, as you are driving, you have to make these choices. I drive the NE corridor a lot from DC to Boston and you never know traffic till you are closer.

More times than not, the fastest way is typically the GW Bridge, even though it's always congested and it's hard to really avoid at least some 95 congestion north of NYC in CT. Since they have finished widening the Jersey Turnpike, It's a lot better. One hint about that is I would use the truck lanes, they typically are less congested. Try to avoid the DC area during the evening rush (which starts about 3pm) or you will be delayed for hours on the beltway and 95 south of DC. Have an eazypass and use the HOT lanes.
The Cross Bronx and Major Deegan Expressways (especially the CBX) are a nightmare if you take the GW Bridge suggestion. I-287 sometimes slows around White Plains and Nyack at rush hour, but you could even take I-287 all the way to 78 west and then to I-476 south through eastern PA, though may hit some rush hour traffic in the western Philadelphia suburbs before rejoining 95 in Chester, PA, but its nothing like NYC traffic as the northern stretch of the Garden State Parkway can be congested in North Jersey, especially between Paramus and Elizabeth. This is especially recommended if you're going to Northeastern NC (the Outer Banks), where you may want to consider Delaware Route 1/US 13 south through Delaware, southeastern Maryland, and the eastern shore of Virginia, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, then to US Route 17 south of Norfolk.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,217,747 times
You'll lose about 3 hours if you take 84 to Scranton and get on 81 south, but it will add years to your life to avoid the anxiety of the NY-DC corridor.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:58 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,512,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
The Cross Bronx and Major Deegan Expressways (especially the CBX) are a nightmare if you take the GW Bridge suggestion.
I've driven this route many times over the past 15 years, including about a dozen in '16, and never ran into "nightmare" congestion. In fact, rarely had any. I always crossed mid-day.

Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel