Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I'm disabled. So you think *I* should not be allowed to use precheck because it might slow *you* down.

Mmmm-hmmmm. See me not care. At least they don't make me open everything up and take my shoes off and pat me down while teetering there without my cane, which they are also not disassembling to see if its really a bomb.
One of aspects of Pre-Check was to allow people people who fly all the time and understand the rules of airport security to by-pass the people who didn't and slowed things down. Along the lines of an express bus with limited stops or a carpool lane. The trade off was extra hoops to jump through and cost.

People standing in line saw Pre-Check breezing through security and thought, "Hell, I'll pay $100 and get fingerprinted rather stand in this line". What once was a specialized convenience is now choked with the masses thinking they will move faster because they don't have to take their shoes off.

I would go through security naked if it would allow me to walk straight through to my flight. I check my carry-on because no TSA employee apparently has never seen a CPAP machine before and has to move the X-ray conveyor back and forth in amazement, then pull it off to look at in person. I carry my cell phone and wallet (keys are stowed in luggage on the shuttle ride over). Sweats and flip-flops are what I wear. I remember when air flight was an event and people dressed up for it - now it's a ice bath where I just hold my breath as I go under.

I do have Pre-Check. I didn't want to get it, but my wife is a very angry woman and she has it because she travels a lot more than I do and we have a trip this month. If the regular line is shorter than the Pre-Check ones, I'll use it just to annoy her.

As they say, "No one uses Pre-Check anymore, it's too crowded".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
no one uses precheck anymore , it's to crowded .

is that statement like jumbo shrimp , pretty ugly and happily married ?

Old 02-08-2018, 04:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
See me not care.
See me not take the bait for a fight.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no one uses precheck anymore , it's to crowded .

is that statement like jumbo shrimp , pretty ugly and happily married ?
It's a paraphrase of a Yogi Berra-ism. Priceless stuff, if you ask me.

One thing I like about Pre-Check besides the fact that you can keep your shoes on (airport floors are really gross) is that you also go through the older-type scanners that put out less radiation. My doctor, for one, says the newer scanners at regular checkpoints emit a much higher level of radiation if they're getting such sharp images, more than one should be exposed to -- and uses Pre-Check for this reason alone.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
It's a paraphrase of a Yogi Berra-ism. Priceless stuff, if you ask me.

One thing I like about Pre-Check besides the fact that you can keep your shoes on (airport floors are really gross) is that you also go through the older-type scanners that put out less radiation. My doctor, for one, says the newer scanners at regular checkpoints emit a much higher level of radiation if they're getting such sharp images, more than one should be exposed to -- and uses Pre-Check for this reason alone.
The newer scanners aren't getting "such sharp images." They use a generic body outline for everyone and small shapes (yellow squares, etc) highlight areas of concern. I think you're thinking of the older backscatter scanners that aren't being used anymore.

The current scanners are very very safe. If there were really concern about radiation, the TSA agents would be wearing lead vests.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
but Nexus is CHEAPER!!!

NEXUS it will need to be 'next time'... By then, they should have me 'embedded' with all my RFID 'Trusted Traveler chips'. My 'Enhanced' WA DL (for MUCH hassle and $230) is worthless as a credential to fly but, required for my occasional PT employment gigs (Port Clearance for CDL drivers).

Definitely use the "Mobile Passport" when able!

I am quite surprised by the high number of 'casual' travelers who get TSA Pre just so they don't have to remove their shoes... I have been timing that process... ~ Requiring 5-8 seconds each end of the line (with laces)... and I have not even upgraded to "Velcro Keds!". I will be 'Lightning fast' when I go to Velcro!

Swoosh, right through TSA like a FLASH! (38 flights so far this yr, so Velcro would have saved me about 4 minutes!)
I love when people know what to do and are ready, people like you!

Unfortunately, there are way too many that don't. They slow the line waaaaay down. Oh! I forgot to take off my belt; Darn! Forgot my keys in my pocket; really? I have to take off my sweater?; Ooops, change in my pocket; I have to remove my shoes? Etc, etc, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Many airlines participate in the TSA Pre-Check submission program. Basically, if you are buying your ticket in advance (enough time to be processed through all the systems) and your personal information is on file with DHS already, and there is nothing b about your trip that raises red flags, TSA will authorize a PreCheck for you on a flight. You don't have to sign up for anything or pay anything, it's a gift to you. The downside is it's not like the advance PreCheck clearance which is yours, this is a courtesy. You may get it one way but not the other. If you don't travel a lot, are useing a participating airline, you buy the tickets in advance, and you generally have no red flags in your life, odds are you will get a courtesy PreCheck.
It truly is the luck of the draw. Sometimes only one of us would get it. Tickets are always purchased way in advance. Sometimes we would get it, other times we wouldn't.

We decided to sign up so we would have it most of the time. It does state that it is not a guarantee that you get it each and every time. So far we have always gotten it printed on the ticket.

To me, TSA Precheck is worth not taking the chance that I'm behind clueless or inexperienced travelers. Even if the line is longer, it still moves faster than the standard line.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
To me, TSA Precheck is worth not taking the chance that I'm behind clueless or inexperienced travelers. Even if the line is longer, it still moves faster than the standard line.
Even with Precheck, you still stand a chance of getting behind clueless and inexperienced travelers. Hence why I don't support casual travelers getting Precheck.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
I have Global Entry because I go on diving vacations outside the U.S. and it speeds up customs and reentry extremely well. It comes with PreCheck as a perk so whenever I travel I use the precheck line.

At my home airport, (LAS) they are mostly doing "expedited" check-in which means the regular lines have the same parameters as the precheck lines so the precheck lines don't get clogged up. But at other airports, occasionally, the precheck lines are as slow as the regular lines.

It doesn't help that the TSA usually puts their trainees on the precheck lines because they slow everything up as they are learning.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
If the regular line is shorter than the Pre-Check ones, I'll use it just to annoy her.
I am a casual traveler, but have pre-check as I am a government employee who opted for it (at no cost). So here is my question, if you have pre-check is it optional to use? The last time I flew, a couple of years ago, I had forgotten that I had signed up for pre-check, and was going through the "regular" line. When the TSA agent looked at my boarding pass, they told me I had to go to pre-check. Is that the norm?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I am a casual traveler, but have pre-check as I am a government employee who opted for it (at no cost). So here is my question, if you have pre-check is it optional to use? The last time I flew, a couple of years ago, I had forgotten that I had signed up for pre-check, and was going through the "regular" line. When the TSA agent looked at my boarding pass, they told me I had to go to pre-check. Is that the norm?
I don't believe so. I inadvertently went through a regular line (pre PRECHECK status locked in) and realized after I got up to the person checking my ID and ticket that I did have Precheck. I went right through without being diverted to the Precheck line. This was a few years ago so I don't know if that has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel