U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23699

Advertisements

A group of friends did this / similar DC-3 trip of Africa a few yrs ago. (no departures scheduled at the moment, but time to SAVE for the next!!!)

It was a pretty sweet trip. (Lots of remote dirt airstrips, and rural lodging in the bush)
https://www.travcoa.com/tours/africa...2015/itinerary

IIRC, their tour was in ~2012 and for 30 days, Cape Town loop, to Tanzania, back to Cape Town on a westerly route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,737 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Reputation: 11107
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A group of friends did this / similar DC-3 trip of Africa a few yrs ago. (no departures scheduled at the moment, but time to SAVE for the next!!!)

It was a pretty sweet trip. (Lots of remote dirt airstrips, and rural lodging in the bush)
https://www.travcoa.com/tours/africa...2015/itinerary

IIRC, their tour was in ~2012 and for 30 days, Cape Town loop, to Tanzania, back to Cape Town on a westerly route.
Thanks for sharing but this is WAY too much money for me. And the site still says 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,531 posts, read 1,313,788 times
Reputation: 3600
Travel to southern Africa needn't be terribly expensive. Here's a rundown of some typical costs for this August.

Economy airfare from major US/Canadian cities to Joburg - US$1100.
Premium economy (Air France) from ORD to JNB - US$1700
Business class, US$3400 (from Toronto; US departures are $5000+) - Alitalia, Turkish, Air Canada
Car rental, standard car, JNB - $130/week
Gasoline/petrol, $4/US gallon
Hotels, 3-4 stars, $120/night (higher in central Cape Town.)
4+ star B&B, $60 - $70
Luxury safari lodge, private reserves, $300 - $600+/night (all inclusive - meals, game drives etc.)
Basic bungalow, SA national parks (private cottage with fan or a/c, bath, cooking facilities) - $120
Restaurant meals - around 75% of typical US cost, can vary obviously.
One way airfare, JNB-Windhoek, $130
One way airfare, JNB - Cape Town, $80

Obviously the private lodges can whack a modest budget easily; however the experience is really second to none; a couple of nights at a good lodge in a good private reserve is worth every bleedin' penny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,410 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Africa is very doable, on your own as an independent traveler. People are friendlhy and gentle and honest, and you can piece things together along the way. Surprisingly, I found that Africa had changed very little in the past 40 years. There are a few more private cars, and while everyone has a cellphone, they are mostly Tracfone type, and minutes are expensive, so people don't just stand around talking or texting them. Still a lot of people in traditional everyday dress, and the walk everywhere. Electrical outages are common, and wifi terrible, but water safe to drink.

Last year I went only to Addis Ababa, Dire Dawa, Djibouti, Hargeisa and Berbera, as I had missed the Horn the first couple of times around. I found it to be, still, the same old Africa. The main difference now is that visas need to be obtained in advance, and are costly, typically around $100. A few countries will issue a visa if arriving at the airport in the capital, but otherwise, consulate visits will dominate your social life and sightseeing.

Traveling in Africa requires patience, and good sturdy walking shoes, but otherwise, doesn't really offer any challenges that can't be overcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Reputation: 7700
If you're thinking of a multi-city routing with enough time between each leg that you're comfortable doing multiple tickets, you can use the British Airways Avios to redeem for award flights in many parts of southern Africa. It's a quirky award program (award ticket redemption rate is by distance flown, and each flight segment is its own award ticket, so you want to use Avios on non-stop routings) but if you can wrangle a BA cobranded credit card with a 50K or more Avios sign-up bonus to get a nice balance, it looks like its about $50 in taxes per leg plus 8K or 13K Avios per ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Mexico City (at the moment)
1,345 posts, read 469,657 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Africa is very doable, on your own as an independent traveler. People are friendlhy and gentle and honest, and you can piece things together along the way. Surprisingly, I found that Africa had changed very little in the past 40 years. There are a few more private cars, and while everyone has a cellphone, they are mostly Tracfone type, and minutes are expensive, so people don't just stand around talking or texting them. Still a lot of people in traditional everyday dress, and the walk everywhere. Electrical outages are common, and wifi terrible, but water safe to drink.

Last year I went only to Addis Ababa, Dire Dawa, Djibouti, Hargeisa and Berbera, as I had missed the Horn the first couple of times around. I found it to be, still, the same old Africa. The main difference now is that visas need to be obtained in advance, and are costly, typically around $100. A few countries will issue a visa if arriving at the airport in the capital, but otherwise, consulate visits will dominate your social life and sightseeing.

Traveling in Africa requires patience, and good sturdy walking shoes, but otherwise, doesn't really offer any challenges that can't be overcome
I would add to this list "pay attention to your surroundings". I lived in Pretoria for 4 years, and was the victim of crime multiple times. SA is an easy place to get lulled into a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
317 posts, read 236,613 times
Reputation: 218
How is Namibia compared to south Africa and mozambique? Traveling in June to see family member in mozambique. Going to start from Middle east and fare less than us 300 to windhoek. Also going to south Africa but worried about safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Reputation: 23699
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Africa is very doable, on your own as an independent traveler. ...
Traveling in Africa requires patience, and good sturdy walking shoes, but otherwise, doesn't really offer any challenges that can't be overcome
my 80 yo FIL did Africa on their own with an 80 yo friend (wives didn't want to go).

They had a great time < $2000 for a month + air.

yes, lots of walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,410 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8023
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I would add to this list "pay attention to your surroundings". I lived in Pretoria for 4 years, and was the victim of crime multiple times. SA is an easy place to get lulled into a false sense of security.
I would exclude South Africa from my general comments about Africa being OK. RSA is a whole separate thing, as I understand it. Maybe a couple of other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Kirkland, WA (Metro Seattle)
3,989 posts, read 3,256,632 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Over $2k is excessive to me. I'll deal with the cramped seating even though I'm a somewhat fat guy.
(Chuckle): I'm a somewhat (cough) fat guy (cough cough). Can't "deal with it"! Actually, just signed up to what I call the "fat farm" to reduce about 50 lbs, my own cross to bear. Good luck, truly (with the flight)

PS: I sometimes forget expensive is subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top