Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,358,770 times

Advertisements

SA flies from Houston to Singapore, it used to be 12.5 to Moscow and then 12.5 to Singapore with an hour and a half stop in DVO. Now with the sanctions it's Manchester then Sing. 20h in one shot isn't so bad. Especially Singapore economy. It doesn't get much better if you have to fly in peasant class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,058,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
By end of this year passengers will be able to fly on new airbus 350-900ULR planes from New York to Singapore, a nearly 20 hour nonstop flight.

I'm all about nonstop flights, but nearly 20 hours on a plane seems like a lot without a break.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...+-+Top+Stories)
Makes sense, instead of stopping over in the middle of the desert. But I do not see any city in Asia that can wrest that advantage from them.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:31 AM

7,900 posts, read 11,478,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
SA flies from Houston to Singapore, it used to be 12.5 to Moscow and then 12.5 to Singapore with an hour and a half stop in DVO. Now with the sanctions it's Manchester then Sing. 20h in one shot isn't so bad. Especially Singapore economy. It doesn't get much better if you have to fly in peasant class.
When did the non stop start up and end? I use to go to Singapore from Houston for work. No non stop option then that I recall. So 14 hrs non stop to Narita spend 4 hours on the ground then 6.5 hours Tokyo. Was business class and not rough to me. I do not sleep on a plane. I would depart mid Saturday around 9am and arrive in Singapore airport around midnight sunday. Head to hotel for some rest, more like a nap in bed than solid sleep then head to work around 8am. Around 3 or 4 pm I would head to an early dinner then to bed for a good nights rest an by next day Id be on local time and fine.

I think a non stop would beat the layover for my taste. This was business class all the way. Return was not bad other than getting up around 330am to catch a 6am departure that retraced the same route. Id be home by mid afternoon on the friday and ready for a weekend. The trip to was 24 hours elapsed and about 2.5 less return as I recall.

20 hours going non stop, sign me up for this in a heart beat if twas an option especially on SA. My options were United to Narita and a few choices for the last leg.

An aside, one of my favorite views was on the return when we hit the west coast at a high altitude as the sun rose and could see the majestic Sierra Nevadas and the coast. A nice dramatic view.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM

89,025 posts, read 85,562,706 times
They used to have this flight before, but I thought it was 17 hours. It was a piece of trivia I picked up at work. This was back in 2005 or '06, IIRC.

Then they didn't have this flight for a while.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,550,036 times
IAH-TPE (Houston-Taipei) 16.5 hours straight. Then a 3 hour layover then on to Manila, 2.5 hours. I did this 4x in the last year, once in Premium Economy and the rest in regular Economy (because after hour 8 it all kind of blurs into the same level of comfort haha)

I leave Houston at night, right before midnight. Like another poster, I "settle" in for the first 4-5 hours, eating, watching movies, etc then turn on some white rain noise and attempt sleep (which is actually a series of short naps). I'm a height and weight proportionate mid 50's female and it doesn't bother me. I rather enjoy the entire process of getting there as much as I enjoy the destination itself!

The worst part for me is happening to glance at someone else's tv screen.......and the path of the plane is on display!! I don't want to know I still have 6 hours left of flying time LOL

Old 04-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
When did the non stop start up and end? I use to go to Singapore from Houston for work. No non stop option then that I recall. So 14 hrs non stop to Narita spend 4 hours on the ground then 6.5 hours Tokyo. Was business class and not rough to me. I do not sleep on a plane. I would depart mid Saturday around 9am and arrive in Singapore airport around midnight sunday. Head to hotel for some rest, more like a nap in bed than solid sleep then head to work around 8am. Around 3 or 4 pm I would head to an early dinner then to bed for a good nights rest an by next day Id be on local time and fine.

I think a non stop would beat the layover for my taste. This was business class all the way. Return was not bad other than getting up around 330am to catch a 6am departure that retraced the same route. Id be home by mid afternoon on the friday and ready for a weekend. The trip to was 24 hours elapsed and about 2.5 less return as I recall.

20 hours going non stop, sign me up for this in a heart beat if twas an option especially on SA. My options were United to Narita and a few choices for the last leg.

An aside, one of my favorite views was on the return when we hit the west coast at a high altitude as the sun rose and could see the majestic Sierra Nevadas and the coast. A nice dramatic view.
There was no non-stop from IAH. The new non-stop that everyone is talking about is from JFK. SA does a "short stop" to SIN, used to be Moscow, now it's Manchester. I'd take SA business over UA any day. Heck if you're flying on the company dime in business, I'd currently go for Emirates or Qatar to Singapore. UA can't touch the hard product.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
IAH-TPE (Houston-Taipei) 16.5 hours straight. Then a 3 hour layover then on to Manila, 2.5 hours. I did this 4x in the last year, once in Premium Economy and the rest in regular Economy (because after hour 8 it all kind of blurs into the same level of comfort haha)

I leave Houston at night, right before midnight. Like another poster, I "settle" in for the first 4-5 hours, eating, watching movies, etc then turn on some white rain noise and attempt sleep (which is actually a series of short naps). I'm a height and weight proportionate mid 50's female and it doesn't bother me. I rather enjoy the entire process of getting there as much as I enjoy the destination itself!

The worst part for me is happening to glance at someone else's tv screen.......and the path of the plane is on display!! I don't want to know I still have 6 hours left of flying time LOL
As a big guy, I even find EVA's economy tolerable for that flight. I've been in and out of MNL on pretty much every combination possible I think. The nicest was when there was still CO, and it was IAH-HNL-GUM-MNL and you got there in 21 hours.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 PM

999 posts, read 715,990 times
I paid thousands more for Business Class R/T to Asia, scheduled for December. Its a long trip.

I am flying Dulles to Hong Kong . 3 day planned layover. Then Hong Kong to Bangkok.
Taking a tour of Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.

Return via Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. 3 hour layover. Then Hong Kong to Dulles.

I am retired and I am worth it. I know others will say its a waste of money. Its not to me. I have flown to Asia 3 times before and its Brutal in coach. Plus I like relaxing in the lounges before and after the flights.

So last year, I decided for now on I am going Business Class when flying internationally. This past Dec I flew to Heathrow; and then home via Paris. It was so much better!

Old 04-27-2018, 04:48 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,478,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There was no non-stop from IAH. The new non-stop that everyone is talking about is from JFK. SA does a "short stop" to SIN, used to be Moscow, now it's Manchester. I'd take SA business over UA any day. Heck if you're flying on the company dime in business, I'd currently go for Emirates or Qatar to Singapore. UA can't touch the hard product.
I saw the thread title but misread your post as there also a non stop SA from IAH to SIN. I did this flight three times a year and Europe more often. The leg from Narita to SIN is almost as long as IAH to London, that puts AP in perspective its huge.

We flew Unitied out of Houston, we called it the company plan lol. We had a special discounted rate that our corporate travel group negotiated. I cant recall a single trip on either Europe or AP route that did not include others I know from our company.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,953,674 times
Horrible. Even an 8 hour flight is unbearable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel