Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's absurd, every culture has the same double standard where family/friends are treated differently than strangers.
Not absurd at all; very few cultures believe manhandling others falls within acceptable double standards. I'm just glad mine doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 02:58 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
First it was "assault" now it's "manhandling" I guess when take the drama-queenery to that level your imagination can run as far as it needs to go.

Look at these savages in line, how dare they!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I think I would have to say I have encountered no more than a handful of tourists behaving stupidly. And in at least half of those, I was the stupid tourist. I remember some of those more vividly than I would like.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:43 PM

Yeah I've been the stupid tourist as well, too many times for my liking.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
First it was "assault" now it's "manhandling" I guess when take the drama-queenery to that level your imagination can run as far as it needs to go.

Look at these savages in line, how dare they!
"Assault - the act of inflicting physical harm or unwanted physical contact upon a person."

"Manhandle - handle (someone) roughly by dragging or pushing."

No imagination, no "drama-queenery," simple English; when used properly there should be no problem; what's yours?

What is your picture supposed to convey? Is that the street scene in Beijing that set you off, as described by the poster? I doubt that anyone would have a complaint about such an experience; and I don't proclaim to be an expert but that does not look like Beijing to me. What's your point? Do you have a point at all?

Old 01-27-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"Assault - the act of inflicting physical harm or unwanted physical contact upon a person."

No imagination, no "drama-queenery," simple English; when used properly there should be no problem; what's yours?
No that's drama-queenery on display, there is a lot more to the definition of "assault" than what you googled up, do you think everyone who bumps shoulders while entering the metro should be charged with assault? After all, some people don't want that physical contact.

Who was roughly dragged or pushed in China? Were you roughly dragged or pushed? Tell me about it, that sounds interesting.

Quote:
What is your picture supposed to convey? Is that the street scene in Beijing that set you off, as described by the poster? I doubt that anyone would have a complaint about such an experience; and I don't proclaim to be an expert but that does not look like Beijing to me. What's your point? Do you have a point at all?
It is supposed to capture you anguish over the manhandling and assaulting. Throw them all in jail.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:19 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:

There is no "used properly". Dictionaries have stopped being "prescriptive", this is what it is supposed to mean, and become "descriptive", this is how the word is now being (rightly or wrongly) used. In order to avoid offending a protected class -- the uneducated and ignorant as well as the whiney offended.. So quoting a dictionary now sheds no light on correct usage. Look at what has happened to words like "special". For what reason should we not call convicted felons "special adults"?

The evolution of these words to fit social semantics becomes apparent when you think of an assault weapon as one whose purpose is to inflict unwanted physical contact upon a person. Language becomes meaningless when there are no longer separate words to reflect a difference between sexual assault and awkward petting. Some states have removed the word "rape" from their criminal code because it limits the implication to, well, rape.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-27-2019 at 05:45 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
No that's drama-queenery on display, there is a lot more to the definition of "assault" than what you googled up, do you think everyone who bumps shoulders while entering the metro should be charged with assault? After all, some people don't want that physical contact.

Who was roughly dragged or pushed in China? Were you roughly dragged or pushed? Tell me about it, that sounds interesting..
Agree.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is no "used properly". Dictionaries have stopped being "prescriptive", this is what it is supposed to mean, and become "descriptive", this is how the word is now being (rightly or wrongly) used. In order to avoid offending a protected class -- the uneducated and ignorant as well as the whiney offended.. So quoting a dictionary now sheds no light on correct usage. Look at what has happened to words like "special". For what reason should we not call convicted felons "special adults"?

The evolution of these words to fit social semantics becomes apparent when you think of an assault weapon as one whose purpose is to inflict unwanted physical contact upon a person. Language becomes meaningless when there are no longer separate words to reflect a difference between sexual assault and awkward petting. Some states have removed the word "rape" from their criminal code because it limits the implication to, well, rape.
So now you and others feel free to rewrite the dictionary when the actual definition of words offends your senses? There is precision in vocabulary; if that is beyond the capability of some to grasp that becomes their problem.

"Unwanted physical contact" is assault; "handle roughly by...pushing" is to manhandle. You simply cannot make up your own definitions of words when you don't care for the real ones. At least you cannot be taken seriously if you endeavor to do so.

If you choose to respond again, please inform us how sexual assault or rape has become part of this conversation? Red herrings simply muddy the waters and make for poor strawmen.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Who was roughly dragged or pushed in China? Were you roughly dragged or pushed? Tell me about it, that sounds interesting.
Seriously? Post 36 here describes the pushing and shoving that occurred:
"When my daughter was living in Beijing, she had to take the subway to get to work. Near the end of her time there (about 15 months), she said she just lost it one day with all the pushing and shoving and yelled out "Someday you all are going to have to learn what manners are" or something to that effect. I asked her what the reaction was. She said, "They just sort of stared at me, probably shocked that this tall blonde woman speaks their language."
You responded to that in post 38, just fourteen minutes later. Those posts were the basis of my entries here. If it is impossible for you to accept actual definitions of the words used or to remember what the conversation is about, perhaps you should simply find another argument or not attempt to derail that which is taking place by posting things like pictures that have no relevance to the topic at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel