Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Good reason to book multiple trips on SWA and use the one that fits and redeem the others for future credits.

I book a few destinations / weekend and then take the trip with the best weather! Save the other fares for future travel.

Do you still have 7-14 days before flying?
Look at Google flights for last minute fares. (non-SWA)
Probably some other sites as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:42 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Depends on the airline. I think it's free on Lufthansa, and $250 on United.

On Emirates, I went to the airport and asked if I could change to today, Addis Ababa to Houston, they said Sure, $75, Go get on the plane. The alternative would have been $75 for a visa to stay overnight, so it was a wash..

Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Yeah, this is why I primarily look at Southwest for flights, only booking other airlines if they happen to be significantly cheaper for what I need, their flight schedule(s) work out better for me, or SWA flat out doesn't go the destination. Not being hog-tied to a flight itinerary is a huge plus to SWA.

OP, to somewhat summarize others, you're really at the mercy of the airline. Best of luck when you call them that you speak to a lenient rep.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:12 PM

201 posts, read 389,113 times
Did you buy the tickets or are they awards? If they're awards, American will let you change the date as long as the origination and destination cities remain the same and the same flight-type award is available. If you bought the tickets, your best hope is to wait to see if there's a schedule change or a weather alert. Those are the two most likely scenarios to get your money back.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
your best hope is to wait to see if there's a schedule change or a weather alert. Those are the two most likely scenarios to get your money back.
Yep. I have hoped for weather effects to allow last minute cancellations or changes before, but it never worked out the way I wanted lol. Or a catastrophe like the Max 8 (hard to "hope" for something like that though obviously).

Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Fly Southwest in the future, problem solved. And as a bonus, two free checked bags.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Delta's done it twice for me ... probably more prevalent if you have status.

Just recently I changed the return flight and I didn't have to pay the change fee or fare difference.

A few years ago I got injured and had to cancel a trip and they just me a travel certificate for the original amount of my fare ($600-ish) that was good for one year.

Both times I was traveling discounted first class, so that may have helped.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Unfortunately no. Going to visit folks who now won't be there that weekend.
If you can, just take the flights. You won't feel like the money was lost for no reason. And, you will earn miles from the airlines and increase your statuses with the airlines as well. For some people, status is very important and a big deal.

If you go, you'll also earn another type of credit: you flew out to see the folks. Even though they weren't there, at least you made the trip out for with that intent and you can say, we did come home, just you weren't there..

There might be something else that is fun you can do in town, too.

In the future, look at Southwest. (Although some times, Southwest is considerably more expensive or lacks nonstops). Or at least sticking with one airline for the round-trip so that change fee impact would be less.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Sometimes if you change destination, the fee is lower.

Recently I changed a JetBlue flight from BOS-->DCA to BOS-->LGA, the fee is $46.

So it is better to use credit cards with trip cancellation to buy airline tickets. They will refund you the change fee. Most Citicards have that feature. Of course you also need to provide legitimate reason for cancellation.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
In Feb. I started a dental procedure that turned into a lengthy ordeal and we had to change our United flights. When I was making the change, I inquired about the change fee and the agent suggested that AFTER I completed my flight, that I apply on line for a refund of the change fees ($400 for the 2 of us).

I got a letter from my DDS stating all the dates I saw her. I explained that my DH had to be with me because I needed a driver due to anesthesia. I did this online via their refund request page.

United credited my cc within a few days. I should add that we are frequent flyers with United and we always book 1st or biz class. We have 'premium' status with United, but the lowest one, Silver.

My guess is that they are more likely to do this for frequent travelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel