Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

But if you're ever got plans or fantasies of going on an African safari, Red Oxx gear will be most excellent for that. Very durable and the company really does stand behind their products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Is an African Safari any harder on luggage than going anywhere else? Not trying to knock Red Oxx I'm sure it's a great bag, but it's not like most people on African Safaris are spending weeks carving a path through the dark jungle with machetes while coolies carry their trunks and members of the expedition fall to illness day by day and new species are identified in journals.

They go to their lodge with the luggage, then every morning don the convertible travel pants in lovely olive/taupe to get in the jeep. Those two 20something chicks from Holland with fake dreadlocks traveling for their gap year are probably way harder on their luggage than the average person who can afford an African Safari.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Hadn't heard of Red Oxx before, but they look nice... but wow, so expensive...
They are worth the price. Super, super tough (I shudder to think of what level of abuse would be required to destroy a Red Oxx bag), and with a lifetime warranty the company actually stands by. You'll never need to buy a second Red Oxx bag to replace a worn-out first one, as the luggage will last longer than you will.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Is an African Safari any harder on luggage than going anywhere else? Not trying to knock Red Oxx I'm sure it's a great bag, but it's not like most people on African Safaris are spending weeks carving a path through the dark jungle with machetes while coolies carry their trunks and members of the expedition fall to illness day by day and new species are identified in journals.

They go to their lodge with the luggage, then every morning don the convertible travel pants in lovely olive/taupe to get in the jeep.
That may be the sort of safari you've gone on, but mine didn't involve any lodges. We camped out in the bush, moved locations every day, and were strapping the luggage to the top of the safari truck daily (when we weren't smashing it into the small cargo hold of a bush plane). A soft-sided duffel was required, and tough zippers were a necessity. I used a Red Oxx Small Aviator duffel, and it came through like a champ. Three weeks of abuse, and it still looks new.

If you need a bag that can take serious abuse, Red Oxx is a winner. (That doesn't mean there aren't other good brands as well.)

Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They are worth the price. Super, super tough (I shudder to think of what level of abuse would be required to destroy a Red Oxx bag), and with a lifetime warranty the company actually stands by. You'll never need to buy a second Red Oxx bag to replace a worn-out first one, as the luggage will last longer than you will.
All of this, plus a really good design. The bags are appropriately sized, and compartmentalizations is well thought out.

Yes, they are crazy expensive, but the bags listed in the OP are of similar cost. I travel a fair bit, and my Red Oxx is 10 years old. Aside from a scuff or two, practically brand new. Meanwhile I have destroyed two LLBean duffels, and my wife has gone through several roller bags of different designs.

If you view luggage as something that you will replace every few years, don’t mind the occasional caster blowout, destroyed zipper, ripped nylon, and unnecessarily heavy infrastructure/frame, Red Oxx is not the bag for you. But if you want something that will last forever, is organized in a way that makes your travel life easier, is very light compared to anything of similar size, the Red Oxx will pay for itself over time.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"What are you currently using or thinking of switching too?"

we use two CHEAP bags, one outside, one stuffed inside.
the outside one takes the punishment, and the inside one
cushions the punishment. when the outside one is demolished,
we buy another CHEAP one at the destination which becomes
the new inside bag and the old inside bag becomes the new outside.
i must to give my mother-in-law credit for this, since she showed me the benefits.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:37 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Not exactly cheap, but it protects your identity and your stuff. Hard to pickpocket or cut open. Comes with a cable to attach it securely to a pole or rail or something when you aren't wearing it. RFID protected, slash resistant. Even the zippers lock and can have regular locks on them.

https://www.rei.com/product/137380/p...ravel-pack-45l

Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I still like my old Rick Steves rolling carryon (when I want wheels), my Osprey Porter 46, and my Red Oxx Sun Chaser. I don’t mind using packing cubes with my Porter 46 and my Rick Steves bag, as they help with organization and make quick packing/unpacking simpler when I’m moving locations frequently.
So Im looking really hard at the Porter 46L. How do you like it? I would also use my eBag packing cubes with it,

Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I prefer Red Oxx. Similar in price to what you have listed, well designed, and durable as anything I have seen.

I avoid items with wheels, because the frame and wheels take up so much space that the luggage is heavier and bulkier.
Exactly.....I try to not have to check bags at all.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Travel Bags YOU like in 2019?
What I like - in short:
ultra light (if you need to watch the weight and baggage fees suck)
two recessed rollers (vs 4 spinners that break off easily, add to luggage dimension, and are horrible on carpets or uneven terrain) BONUS if those wheels are replaceable
soft (because they are easier to fill and are pliable great @ tight space especially overhead)
soft (hard cracks and dents when handled by rough baggage handlers, also doesn't offer outside pockets)
expandable (just because it's a neat option)
inside compartments (helps to separate and keep in place your stuff)
ballistic nylon (most durable material for soft luggage)
sturdy, low profile handles (that don't get snagged by baggage handling equipment)
bright color (think twice before you buy a black bag - a thief will never steal a red bag at the airport)
chain zippers with YKK tag (because they are durable and difficult to break into than coil zippers, which can be pulled apart with a ballpoint pen and reclosed without a trace.)

BONUS, if you have money to burn:
Smart Luggage Location Tracker although I don't know any with good reviews.
A "connected" suitcase knows where it is, how much it weighs, built-in digital scales, digital locks, fingerprint recognition locks, proximity sensors, trip tracking, and built-in power sources. Alternatively, you can create your own customized high-tech luggage by adding these electronic devices separately to your analog bags.

To me, it's all about features and not so much about the price and the brands.
Thanks for the response. I try and stay away from anything i cant carry around with me once Ive landed..which is why I like backpacks so much. But to your point, Im truly focused on the functionality and features to a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel