Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 07:14 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
There are TONS of places in the U.S. that I'd still love to visit, but in terms of being disappointed if I kick the bucket without seeing them, I came up with six in no particular order:

1) Yellowstone National Park
2) South Dakota's Black Hills region
3) Colorado
4) Alaska
5) Glacier National Park
6) Hawaii's Big Island
I've been to Yellowstone, and the Black Hills, and Glacier National Park.

I've done a fair amount of skiing in Colorado, and I've been to Denver and environs, as well as Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.

I'd like to go back to Boulder, go to Pueblo, go to Pike's Peak, go to Monument Valley, ride the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, and do the self-guided tour of the visitor's center at the USAFA.

I'll get to Alaska, and when I get to Hawaii, the Big Island will definitely be a stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright home)

Storm King (sculptures near West Point NY)

Jackson Hole & Yellowstone - Never been to Wyoming

Monument Valley

Kilauea volcano
Fallingwater......great setting .

The day that I drove out there....the inside was unexpectedly closed, so I just got to walk all around outside. I'd like to go back.

Love Jackson Hole re skiing .

Yellowstone is great.

Monument Valley....on my list.

Hadn't heard of the Storm King sculptures.

I do want to visit all of the service academies.

Kilauea would be great.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The mermaid show at Weeki Wachee park in Florida
(While I'm in that area, I'd like to taste alligator. I would also like to try ostrich; there's an ostrich farm near me, but they don't sell fresh meat, only jerky. No thanks.)

Lake Ontario; we visited the other 4 Great Lakes a few years ago, but missed this one.

I've never been to Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Alaska or North Dakota.
I'm not sure that I care.
I've been to all of those except Alaska.

I could see perhaps not caring about Missouri or North Dakota.....but I think you're really missing out not visiting Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

Quote:
This thread makes me feel good about my travels; I've visited most of the sites at least once.
Punalu'u is OK for a day trip, but it's kind of far from civilization for me, and the swimming isn't that great. Ditto Papakōlea, better known as the Green Sand Beach or South Point (most southern point in the U.S.) I lived on the Big Island for 12 years, guess I'm jaded.
Good .

Old 05-10-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I don't really have a list but for some reason, I want to drive old Route 66 beginning to end (east to west) and Route 1 beginning to end (north to south). I have a fascination with all the old abandoned motels and roadside attractions along these routes.
The parts that I have driven along have been interesting.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
There's some smaller nearby places which is more because they're so close and I haven't gone

1) Dismals Canyon (specifically a night tour)
2) The Ozarks
3) Acadia
4) Cahokia, Moundville and the Bottle Creek Mounds
5) Santa Fe
6) One of those relatively recent discoveries: Underwater Cypress Forest; Mabila; or that cave with the largest Native American cave art
7) Kodiak Island
8) Grand Junction
9) San Antonio Riverwalk
10) Buffalo/Niagara Falls
Been to 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, and 10.

Hadn't heard of 1, 4, nor 6 before, but my interest has been stirred.

7....have thought about it before .

Old 05-10-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Alaska
Maine
Kauai
Cape Flattery, WA
Glacier National Park, MT
Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, CO/NM
Lake Superior Shoreline
Madison, Wisc (Frank Lloyd Wright buildings and more)
Chicago neighborhood tours
Hartford, CT (Mark Twain house, and the USA's only Gothic state capitol)
Alaska....on my list.

I've been to most of the places I want to see in Maine, but perhaps not all.

Kauai would definitely be part of an eventual trip/trips to Hawaii.

Been to Cape Flattery, WA .

Been to Glacier NP .

Cumbres and Toltec Railroad is on my list.

Been to the Lake Superior shoreline (in both the U.S. and Canada).

Been to Madison, but not to Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. I'd like to go back.

Been on neighborhood tours in Chicago.

Been to both the Mark Twain house and the state capitol in Hartford (I have two antique chairs that are dead ringers for two of the chairs in the Mark Twain house).

Old 05-10-2022, 08:29 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
10 places in USA still on my bucket list:

inside passage Alaska
canoe camping for several nights in Minnesota
live for a year in Santa Fe, New Mexico, within walking distance of the Plaza
camp at North Rim Grand Canyon
lunch with a friend i have not seen in over 55 years, wherever he happens to be (somewhere in Virginia)
overnight stay in a lighthouse (i worked with a couple, they planned all their vacations around sleeping in lighthouses)
spend four months in winter on the Oregon coast at a cabin with a wood stove
hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, stay three nights at the bottom (one night at Phantom Ranch, two nights camping) and hike out
go back to Arkansas with my middle son (he is now age 35) to dig crystals
a week at North Carolina beach to view sea turtles and collect sea shells

Old 05-10-2022, 10:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have been to 44 states, and covered most of my bucket list places, but what's left:

1. Alaska - all over, but in summer
2. Remaining Hawaiian islands (Big Island and Kauai)

Old 05-10-2022, 10:49 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
There are TONS of places in the U.S. that I'd still love to visit, but in terms of being disappointed if I kick the bucket without seeing them, I came up with six in no particular order:

1) Yellowstone National Park
2) South Dakota's Black Hills region
3) Colorado
4) Alaska
5) Glacier National Park
6) Hawaii's Big Island

It appears you visited Denali and Rocky mountain Nat Park?.
On Alaska, it took 3 planes to drop me off at the fishing lodge; best month I ever spent.
The wildlife came to me.
On Colorado, which I've bicycled 800 miles through; the tourist areas are my least favorite places.
Except for Creede, and Buena Vista.
I have to recommend one of our least visited National Parks, Black Canyon(you can drive to the bottom of deepest canyon in the state, and nobody does but fishermen); or rent a wheeler in Lake city; and do the Alpine loop.
Hawaii I agree with, and Yellowstone needs to closed for a decade; place needs a break from tourism.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:13 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
It appears you visited Denali and Rocky mountain Nat Park?
Thanks Sunbiz! But no unfortunately I haven't been to any part of Alaska or Colorado yet. Would absolutely love to visit Denali and ditto for RMNP.

For some reason, Colorado seems to be forever a "bridesmaid" in our travel planning. When we research affordable options for Summer vacations, it always comes into the discussion, but for whatever reason (pricing, flight schedules, covid issues, etc.) it keeps ending up in the "save it for next year" category. For this August we had even booked a rental car from the Denver airport in planning to visit Colorado, but in March we snagged a great deal on airfare to Sweden and so Colorado has to wait yet again. It looks beautiful and I know that we'll love it whenever we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel