Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 05:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times

Advertisements

South out of Memphis, long-toads evenin'. my first time alone. nose to the bus window, a rural two-story house, set back, sheer curtains, between me and the honest life within.. Mississippi plates on the truck. Think of myself mouselike in a tapestry armchair next to the knitting hamper. I watch and listen. Upstairs I hear John-R on a soft radio. A man Ahems, I read in The Gennamin Fahmer . . .she says Sakes alive, shifts a few table item, a red candy dish, so the house can sleep in orderly peace. Footsteps go from linoleum to stair runner to crickets to whippoorwill, and nobody says it, ever. "We're in Mississippi. Clem!" Nope. It's the elephant in every room in the world. You know you're there, an unspoken truth, noboty ever says it.. Just on the plates.

The tingling thrill of travel comes when you break your own silence, and name the elephant.

Last edited by arr430; 11-25-2022 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 10:06 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Those of you who travel at your own expense, on your own time -- what, in your gut and heart and soul, leads you to travel?

Moi, I learned to read phonetically reading the names of places on maps. When I got my first stamp collecting kit, I dove in head first. There was no place to go but -- everywheere.
1. For the excitement of something new & unexpected (no matter how much I read about my destination and plan the trip, it is ALWAYS different when I get there! Like falling in love, it cannot be expected or planned - it is just a new experience given to me)
2. Because I know I'll have profound memories of it
3. Because of the "fear of missing out" on something interesting - that's why I have a bucket list of travels, although the best travel experiences always come unexpectedly, and usually do not involve majorly popular sights, but simple details in some different place

Old 11-27-2022, 09:40 AM

7,092 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I love to visit other places to see the beauty, eat different food and meet people from other countries. The memories are priceless.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:26 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
As an American, I have become exceedingly annoyed with American politics so I will freely admit, travel has become an temporary escape from the hatred and division. Yup, good old fat, entitled, spoiled and angry America. I’d like to collectively take all the SJWs and dump them abroad to see real ISM violations instead of the minimal problems we have here in the States.
I agree with the first two sentences of your post, but the final sentence is quite one-sided. There are plenty of entitled and divisive people on both ends of the spectrum who could benefit from a reality check.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
As an American, I have become exceedingly annoyed with American politics so I will freely admit, travel has become an temporary escape from the hatred and division. ....
As an American you are privileged to 'escape' as often as you like. I make it a point to be gone every 4 yrs (major election years), but... most people you meet internationally are more inquisitive, knowledgeable, and engaged in USA politics that your USA neighbor.

Politics / National and personal security is a good reason to travel. You might be hard pressed to find a more angry society than in USA (at the moment).

Old 12-03-2022, 02:26 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As an American you are privileged to 'escape' as often as you like. I make it a point to be gone every 4 yrs (major election years), but... most people you meet internationally are more inquisitive, knowledgeable, and engaged in USA politics that your USA neighbor.
80% of the world population seems to support liberals or Democrats in U.S. politics.

If you are not of liberal political persuasion yourself, then you will not like to hear what they have to say.

Best not to discuss anything about it at all.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:46 PM

620 posts, read 312,143 times
Real life is too mundane.. You need something to look forward to cure this daily burnout. Traveling is at the top of list of things that help me remain sane by creating memories..

Old 12-05-2022, 05:26 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
In China in '96, I wen to a special ATT phon, to ask the operator who won the election, which was unreported on local media. She also knew who won the Worl Series. Travel is a good way to get away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel