Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
Why?
I have never got used to the eastern time zone even though I have lived in it for 11 years now. I was raised in Central Time and it was nice to see the news at 10PM, Leno at 10:30 and lights out at 11:30. I hate that I now have to DVR him because I do not wish to stay up until 12:30AM to watch.

If I were picking a home on the basis of time zones, I would choose western Kansas. Right on the border of the Mountain zone. That way you get daylight until 10PM in the summer and still be in Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
In the late 1990s I lived in eastern Alabama and worked in Georgia, just across the state line. Alabama is in central time zone and Georgia is eastern time zone. I never wear a watch, but always had to think about "fast time" and "slow time" to make sure I was in the right place at the right time.

Indiana for many years had the most confusing time zone divisions by county in the USA. The dividing line between central and eastern time has been moved westward across the Indiana several times over the last 50 or 60 years. Some counties in Indiana used to observe daylight savings time, and some did not. You could be in four adjacent counties, and none of the 4 would be on the same time zone or the same daylight savings schedule. In the 1960s there was a TV comedy show that had a mock news announcer with clocks in the background showing the time in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, New York and Terra Haute (Indiana). The clock for Terra Haute was always showing some oddball time compared to the others. It was just this year that a new law took effect that made all of IN daylight savings time, and about 80 percent of the counties are in eastern time zone.
It was really confusing because a good hunk of Indiana is in the Chicago TV market. It would be 8PM in Chicago and either 8 or 9 PM in Indiana depending on exactly what county you were in!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM

I am of the view that we should have UNIFORM time in the country. Every state should be on one single time zone except for Tennessee for obvious reasons and the time zones should follow state lines exactly.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Personally, Im attracted to the midwest so probably would say 'central' time. I have a dual time watch anyway so its always an hour or two ahead somewhere....

Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Arrow Eastern Standard Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I like the Pacific time zone -- by the time our 11PM news comes on, the news in the rest of the continent has pretty much happened so I get to see it! When I lived in NYC, all sorts of stuff happened west of NYC overnight and distracted me in the mornings!
I love Eastern Standard Time because we get news practicly right as it happens!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 PM

154 posts, read 533,975 times
KevK, you got to think about Kentucky also, but I somewhat agree.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
CST is the best to me. I was raised in that time zone, then lived in S.C where it was EST and that took some getting used to and well I really never did. Now I live in Alaska and it has it's own time zone and that is about the only thing I hate about Alaska. By the time I get through working and want to talk to people in EST or CST, they are already in bed!!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
one bad thing about living in AST is that you cant vote on most TV shows because by the time nightfall comes there it is time for people on the east coast to go to work!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
I have lived most of my life in EST, but have been in PST for a little over a year now and I do not like PST at all. Thank goodness I am moving in two weeks and will be back in EST.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
yea, no kidding. That goes for most anything. Someone told me not to bother voting in the presidential election, since as they put it-the winner will be known before you guys even vote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
one bad thing about living in AST is that you cant vote on most TV shows because by the time nightfall comes there it is time for people on the east coast to go to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel