Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 51,341 times

Advertisements

Ok. So this scenario is gonna take a little bit of explaining, but if you're willing to hang in there and read this through I would be really appreciative.

I'm a 23 year old guy who came to school in Boston. I graduated and now I'm moving from Boston to somewhere else. The end destination? Not totally sure yet. I've narrowed it down to Austin or San Diego, however, these are merely cities that interest me. As to where I will actually end up I have no idea, and I love that prospect. What I am looking for is some advice on places to stay and things to see based on my planned route of travel thus far. The reason I have at least a tentative plan on what cities I'm going to go through is because I have limited funds and am trying to stay with family and friends that will both feed me and possibly give me a little cash. This will help me save a LOT of cash. I will have about 6 grand saved up for this trip (I have been working 3 jobs busting my ASS for this).

So the planned route of travel is as follows:

Boston to DC: DC is where my mom lives and VA is where my Dad lives. This is a no-brainer. Free food and at least 20 bucks from each.

DC to the Outer Banks of NC: My aunt lives on the OBX and I love her. She will take me to the beach and feed me as well as let me crash with her.

This is where I need some advice:

Outer Banks to Nashville TN: I have friends in Nashville but am thinking this is too long of a stretch to drive at once. Any places to stay along this route or interesting things to see?

Nashville to Shreveport, LA:
Grandparents live in Shreveport. Once again, free place to stay, food, and potentially 20 bucks. Anything interesting to see between these two cities?

Shreveport to Dallas, then Dallas to Austin:
Austin is one of the cities I'm thinking of moving to so I wanna spend a few days there and check it out. If I'm compelled to stay, I will, otherwise I'll hit the road again. Anyone know of any good places to stay that are cheap? Any good places to see on that stretch of road or anything worth seeing in Austin?

Austin to Oklahoma City: I'm driving straight up to OKC because I heard that in order to have a true road trip I cant just drive through Texas west to Cali. I need to drive through Oklahoma, Arizona, and New Mexico.

Then this is the long, open, totally undetermined or planned journey through the great west...

Oklahoma City to San Diego:
I'm planning on hitting Amarillo, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and Yuma? Any suggestions or changes to those cities? Or anything cool to see along the way/in any of the aforementioned cities? Places to crash? Things I shouldn't miss? Awesome people? Anything!

Ok so now that I've written a novel, anyone who has any sweet ideas on stuff to see, places to go, people to meet, places to crash please hit me up. I know, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever done, but I'm starting to think it's gonna be the best thing ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
My friend, 6k can get you around the world for several months including a 1 month run through the areas you mention.

Call an auto transport company to see if you can get a free car that needs to be delivered to San Diego.

But if you insist on blowing it all in the USA, get yourself a copy of Let's Go USA. Go to Barnes and Noble, buy yourself a cup of coffee at the Starbucks there and read it if you don't want to fork out for it.

PS. If this is the dumbest thing you will do in your life, you will have a terrific life. Travel. Take your time.

Seriously though. I have done around the world for 2 for three months for a total of 6k. Granted that was in 1991, but that included much of the world including Russia and the transmongolian train through to Beijing. Once you are out on the road, you will run into the Aussies, Germans, Canadians etc who know how to travel for months and even years at a time on a shoe string. Ahhh 23 with 6k to blow on travel. At least 6 months my boy!!!!

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-21-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Nashville to Shreveport is a pretty good day's drive. Consider staying in Texarkana if you don't make it all the way to Shreveport, especially since it's only a few more hours to Dallas. We stopped there on the way to Memphis and there were plenty of hotels and reasonably priced. Memphis is worthy of a brief visit. Check out the visitors center with the huge statues of Elvis and BB King. You can also pick up some free maps and coupons and stetch and use the restroom. Then, grab some BBQ - Interstate is my favorite.

Make sure you don't time your visit to Austin to coincide with ACL (Austin City Limits) Music Festival from 9/26 to 9/28 (unless you have tickets). There will be no hotel rooms available and the festival will be sold out. However, any other time should be fine! Check Hotwire for hotels in/near downtown for less than $100 a night. Trust me, if you are 23 and want to check out Austin's scene, downtown is where you'll want to look first. Resist the urge to grab a hotel on I-35 north of town - there's not much to see or do there.

I don't think it's dumb at all - I think a road trip, especially when you are young, is a great adventure.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Outer Banks, NC to Nashville, TN is beasically a long drive on I-40 across NC. You cross the mountains out by Ashville. So, you have the Biltmore House to see, attractions in the NC mountains, Dollywood in TN, etc. Charlotte is approx 45 miles south of I-40 on I-77. It's a growing city and it has some neat things to see and do (especially if you're into NASCAR). You can also take I-85 toward Atlanta and head north to Nashville from there. Just some ideas.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Outer Banks, NC to Nashville, TN is beasically a long drive on I-40 across NC. You cross the mountains out by Ashville. So, you have the Biltmore House to see, attractions in the NC mountains, Dollywood in TN, etc. Charlotte is approx 45 miles south of I-40 on I-77. It's a growing city and it has some neat things to see and do (especially if you're into NASCAR). You can also take I-85 toward Atlanta and head north to Nashville from there. Just some ideas.
I was just wondering if you were going to pass by the Ashville area. If so, you MUST go to chimney rock, it is beautiful.

You will never regret your trip. Trust me, I have kids, and for me that kind of trip will just not be an option again till retirement!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
I didn't take my year-long road trip through the U.S. and Canada until I was 43, and it is an experience that will always be way up there as one of the top five life-changing experiences of my whole life!

If you don't overplan, if you stand around here and there just relaxed, lazy, and gazing, drinking in the air, and listening to the Universe hum to you, you will become a new person, enhanced and expanded from who you were before.

One big thought: what happened to all the plains states and mountain states? The Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and the Pacific Northwest of Washington and Oregon? There is once-in-a-lifetime scenery in those states that will fill your memory forever, and vivid echoes of geologic and human history, not to mention settings for a million cowboy movies, that will be experiences the effects of which on your imagination you simply can't imagine! Something to consider....

Last edited by allforcats; 08-31-2008 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM

22 posts, read 83,275 times
I second stopping in Asheville. It's a cool little place. I also second picking up a copy of Let's Go. Additionally, if you are wishing to save money...KOA campgrounds are good for that. Also, some of the cities have hostels, where you can meet some people and have a cheap place to stay. If you do decide to lengthen your trip, I highly recommend traveling to the state parks on the west coast. It's a great trip!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Each time you cross into a new state there will be a Welcome center-rest area within a few miles of the border. you will find racks with travel pamphlets that usually include deals on motel rooms. But I have to say that if I had time, was young and had 6k to travel with, I'd be heading to Europe. When i get there I'd buy me a bike and tour as much as i could. If it gets too mountainous to peddle I'd get me a Eurrail pass and take the train around Europe. You are young and can see the USA anytime! Whatever you choose to do I hope you have a BLAST!!!!!!! If the most you expect to get from each relative is $20 i wouldnt bother. Why make them think you are a bum for $20?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Each time you cross into a new state there will be a Welcome center-rest area within a few miles of the border. you will find racks with travel pamphlets that usually include deals on motel rooms. But I have to say that if I had time, was young and had 6k to travel with, I'd be heading to Europe. When i get there I'd buy me a bike and tour as much as i could. If it gets too mountainous to peddle I'd get me a Eurrail pass and take the train around Europe. You are young and can see the USA anytime! Whatever you choose to do I hope you have a BLAST!!!!!!! If the most you expect to get from each relative is $20 i wouldnt bother. Why make them think you are a bum for $20?
Yup.. A bike! Milk that 6k as far as you can. Europe is considerably more expensive though than the USA and Asia. 6 k should get you 6 mos in SE Asia.

BOTTOM LINE. TRY TO DO SOMETHING SPECTACULAR!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Best piece of advice I can give is

Stay off the Interstates.

Nothing interesting ever happens on 200' of concrete. Real life is lived on the backroads. The old US highways and State roads are the only way to go.

As far as going from Austin to OKC - Why? You were nearly in OKC when you were by Dallas. Why drive back up the nearly three hours to Dallas to drive three more to OKC. Leave Austin, hit Hill Country, cross into NM and drive the desert. Monument Valley, Grand Canyon (north and south rims), Bryce Canyon, Zion NP and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel