Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times

Advertisements

My most important travel tip:
*******When traveling internationally, BRING a Watch!!!!!

This may sound obvious, but I discovered this tip the hard way. Your cell phone will not work and you will have no idea what time it is, ever! This is very annoying for people like me who like to know what time it is.

*******Get the Johnson and Johnson washcloths with the soap in them already! lifesaver! cleaner than a bar of soap and easier than a sponge and bath gel.

******everyone is curious about foreign coins. if you are going to a country where the coins are not that high-value, ask for a role or two to give out as cheap souvenirs to friends and family.

*******if you are transported from the airport, hotel, etc. by a van, LOOK in the van to make sure all your stuff is out. Just take a peek in case you forgot your sweater, hat, or other small items. DON'T depend on the driver/porter/husband to do this for you. (again, learned this tip the hard way, got all 10 pieces of luggage out, but luggage cart was left behind)

*****if you absolutely have to go to the gym, find one before you leave, esp. if traveling to foreign county. Don't depend on family there to do this for you as they will probably not think it is very important. **This is especially important if we are talking about your 4-visit-a week-to-the-gym-husband-who-will-get-extremely cranky-if-you-ignore-his-need-to-workout.***If you must depend on the family, ask someone young to find the gym, not a senior citizen

******Don't depend on a 17 year old power converter to power your blow dryer.

*****Do bring chocolate syrup for your kids if they are going to have to drink boxed milk, and single serve packets of lemonade mix if you will have to drink bottled water all the time.

Hmmmm.........had all sorts of other tips that I was trying to remember after my last trip, but have forgotten.
I'll post if I remember.

For now, please post your tips, because I'll be traveling again and like efficiency, and you might save me some aggravation (like if I had remembered the watch)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM

sorry, ROLL of coins. Knew that didn't look quite right.....

Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Make sure there are NO other tags on your luggage except for the current airline's!!! They get confused enough without giving them a choice of places to ship your bags!

And put your contact number (cell, work, etc...) and destination address in an outer pocket of your luggage, so should your luggage get lost, they will know where to contact you, without having to cut the lock off your bags! Yes--lock them!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM

355 posts, read 1,503,151 times
Have cash in hand (small denomination and change), in case you need something from a convenience store, or if you need to use a pay phone. Perhaps, even if you need to take public transportation. Comes in very handy.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
When traveling internationally, make copies of your passport. Leave one at home, and take one with you stored separately from your actual passport. It makes it much easier to get a passport re-issued in the case yours is lost or stolen.

For all of your credit and debit cards, write down all credit card numbers and contact numbers for the issuers. If your wallet is lost or stolen, then you can put a hold on the current card(s) and, hopefully, get new ones re-issued.

Try to pack everything into a single carry-on bag. Its hard for an airline to loose your luggage if you have it with you all the time. If that isn't possible, then pack enough clothes and toiletries for a day or two and take that with you. There is nothing worse than being in a foreign country with only the clothes on your back following an 18 hour trip.

Learn a few basic phrases in the language of the country you are visiting. The locals typically speak English (and will probably switch to it rather quickly), but always appreciate someone who has taken the time and effort to learn a little bit about their language and culture.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Make sure there are NO other tags on your luggage except for the current airline's!!! They get confused enough without giving them a choice of places to ship your bags!

And put your contact number (cell, work, etc...) and destination address in an outer pocket of your luggage, so should your luggage get lost, they will know where to contact you, without having to cut the lock off your bags! Yes--lock them!
Very Good point!!!

Which reminds me of another tip we learned the hard way!

****Don't count on your airline providing those little free luggage tags! Just go out and buy some sturdy luggage tags. We flew Alitalia and they had NO FREE LUGGAGE TAGS. My husband had to go all the way down to the Lufthansa counter for them, and like the person mentioned, i was so worried our bags would get lost with the wrong tags we crossed out the Lufthansa logo and wrote Alitalia in.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
If you're doing long-distance driving:

Stop every two hours, even if you're not tired/hungry or don't have to use the john, especially if you're driving alone. It makes a huge difference.

Take a wet cloth along. Feeling clean(er) will help keep you awake and alert.

If you have another driver along, swap every two hours (when you stop ... ).

Don't take greasy or messy foods to munch on (potato chips, cheese curls, taco chips, drippy fruit). Pretzels and carrot sticks rock!

Take a jug of ice water and a water bottle to stay hydrated. Fill up every two hours (and then you'll need to stop every two hours ... LOL).

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post

Try to pack everything into a single carry-on bag.
YES! Absolutely. Only one bag. And pack that bag only half full when you leave home leaving the other half for stuff that you collect while traveling.

Travel light, choose your clothing/shoes/accessories carefully before you go. Lightweight fabrics that can be rolled up really tight in the suitcase. Jeans are heavy and bulky to pack, One pair maybe two. Jackets, pants, skirts should be coordinated and weather versatile. Shoes--TWO PAIR. One pair for heavy walking, one pair that will go with jeans, pants skirts.

Forgo most personal items. Hand lotion, shampoo, soap, disposible razors, etc., can be bought anywhere in the world. Leave most of that stuff at home.

Wear all heavy/bulky clothing onto the airplane so you won't have to stuff it in your suitcase.

Travel light! Hauling all kinds of stuff around while traveling is a burden. Don't do it.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,503,151 times
Check your overseas medical insurance coverage. If your policy covers you overseas, make sure it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,145 times
Great tips everyone.

When you are packing for your trip, pack what you think you will need then take 1/2 of that out of your bags. It really works!!!

If you feel you really need currency upon your arrival, only exchange the bare minimum. You will get much better rates at your destination.

Copies of your tickets, passport, and credit cards is essential, scan them then email them to yourself via an email address that can be remotely accessed. Don't leave your passport in the scanner before you go to the airport!!! Yep did that once, I was able to board at the last possible minute. They had already pulled my bag and had it sitting by the plane!

Try not to schedule your self to the minute. Leave some chill time in your itinerary. Be open and willing to change your plans upon a minutes notice. I went around the world 2 years ago and did not make a single hotel reservation!!!

If you travel to Europe, try not to do 6 countries in 10 days!!!! Relax!!!!!

Get off the beaten path, live like the locals.

Try to start your travel in the early AM, delays and weather usually get worse as the day goes on. Try not to book a connecting flight with more than 1 connection.

Do not eat at a McDonalds or Kentucky Fried Chicken, etc while on vacation!!!!

Be nice to the ticket agents, hotel desk person, cab drivers, etc! Your fate is in their hands!

Carry on items you will need in case your luggage does not arrive with you.

Travel Safe!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel