Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,791,647 times

Advertisements

Even as a smoker, I couldn't imagine it, but it used to be the norm. Of course, as a kid, I remember smoking being allowed everywhere - hospitals (in smoking rooms), grocery stores, malls, department stores, offices, etc. I used to clean offices in the mid-late '80's as a teen and I also did window washing, and the smoke stained everything! I would wash a window and the water/cleaning fluid mixture would loosen the yellow film on the window and it would wipe away with the squeegee - it was a night and day difference.

Well, here's an old NWA commercial boasting that they are the first to ban smoking on all flights. I just can't imagine that it was just accepted as normal to smoke on a plane which has a closed, pressurized cabin and air re-circulation in the cabin!

YouTube - 1980s Northwest Airline Commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times
I have smoked on a plane.

I've smoked at work, at work IN A HOSPITAL even and not in a smoking room either.

I've smoked pretty much everywhere.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:58 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I have smoked on a plane.

I've smoked at work, at work IN A HOSPITAL even and not in a smoking room either.

I've smoked pretty much everywhere.
Oh, well, those were the days... Wish I were born a few decades earlier.

Ha, this thread didn’t get off to a good start according the OP’s wishes , did it?!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Yes I can imagine it. I did it for years before it was banned. I agree with the ban, but I have one huge major issue with it. They have framed the ban with signage and flight attendant instruction that implies that smoking on the plane, especially in the bathrooms, is extremely dangerous and subject to fine and imprisonment. It's all part of the brainwashing that has taken place around smoking. Yes, it's bad, but not nearly the threat - on planes and second hand smoking -that they would have us believe. Funny thing, when I was in my 20's and 30's I never knew anyone who was allergic to cigarettes. Now practically every other person I meet is. And they announce it proudly, as if to show how special and sensitive they are. It's a bunch of malarkey. Whoeee. I can't wait to see what the backlash on this will be.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
I actually remember the last day smoking was allowed.

I was flying from LaGuardia to Atlanta on a Delta L-1011 on that Sunday. These were huge planes, and the entire back of the cabin was a like a happy hour. We all stood around in front of the row of lavs - smoking, drinking and laughing for 2 hours. Even a couple of Flight Attendants joined in.

Seems soooo long ago now.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM

407 posts, read 1,559,266 times
Default But the really FUN flights...

were some of the overseas carriers... I was on one flight (Egypt Air) with a business class ticket (thank you miles) and when I got to the gate, they asked me if I wanted "smoking or non-smoking". When I said "non" I was upgraded to First Class and they pulled the curtain behind my seat...

The topper though, was another airline... one SIDE of the plane was smoking and the other side was non... that one cracked me up!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Funny thing, when I was in my 20's and 30's I never knew anyone who was allergic to cigarettes. Now practically every other person I meet is.
All that proves is that you don't understand the medical science of how allergies work.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Yep always smoked on plane, at the time I used Eastern Airlines for trips to Florida
From what I was told many of the international lines if they wanted to fly into the US had to adopt the policy as well...but they were a few years behind...at least many of the foreign airports have smoking sections while waiting

Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Yes I can imagine it. I did it for years before it was banned. I agree with the ban, but I have one huge major issue with it. They have framed the ban with signage and flight attendant instruction that implies that smoking on the plane, especially in the bathrooms, is extremely dangerous and subject to fine and imprisonment. It's all part of the brainwashing that has taken place around smoking. Yes, it's bad, but not nearly the threat - on planes and second hand smoking -that they would have us believe. Funny thing, when I was in my 20's and 30's I never knew anyone who was allergic to cigarettes. Now practically every other person I meet is. And they announce it proudly, as if to show how special and sensitive they are. It's a bunch of malarkey. Whoeee. I can't wait to see what the backlash on this will be.
I remember when we all smoked on planes, at work, in stores, etc.
What really irks me is the "militant" non-smokers. They act like the smokers have a contagious disease. Unfortunately with all the bans on smoking, they run the world. I gave it up 2 years ago and have to admit, I LOVE to stand outside next to a smoker for that second hand smoke.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:26 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,359,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
All that proves is that you don't understand the medical science of how allergies work.
Care to enlighten me? And please include a definition for "allergy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel