Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been there? How is it for vacation? I'm looking for an all inclusive hotel somewhere I haven't been to already and was curious about Playa Del Carmen. I've only been to Cozumel Mexico and wasn't crazy about it, so I'm not sure about going to Mexico at all. We would like a place that's sort of quiet but still has things going on. (not cancun)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM

128 posts, read 628,155 times
I've been there many times and really enjoyed it although it's grown up considerably in the last few years. My last visit was an all inclusive named Playa Car of which is about 1/2 mile south of the ferry. There are many in the vacinity. If you want something a little more conventional Mexican there is one about 8 k's north called Capitan Lafitte.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Default Playa

We were in Cancun in March and travelled through Playa on our way to Xcaret. Playa has grown considerabilly since I was last there. It is very small compared to Cancun but enough going on that you shouldn't get bored. The Xcaret is awesome. You can spend several days there just doing every thing. It is a very nice park with swimming with the dolphins, underground water, good restaurants, music or show.

Hope you enjoy your trip where ever you end up going!

Dunroven

Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,294 times
Surprised to hear you didn't find Cozumel as fun. I would think Playa is great for a day trip across from San Miguel but not for an extended stay of a week or so. The town is fun to shop in but I simply got a bigger kick out of staying in Cozumel, in '03 & '05. The eastern coast is so wild and secluded. But hey.... lots more people in Playa if that's your thing. I mean it's not a ton more but it's more and the taxi trips to get anywhere definitely cost more.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
What do you like to do while on vacation? And what did you NOT care for at Cozumel? There are several locations on the Mayan Riviera with all-inclusive hotels, each has its own "feel". More info, please!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
You will love Playa Del Carmen. There is enough to do with XCaret and Xel-Ha. Both places are a full day each (maybe 2). Plus you can go over to Coz if you want. Check out Trip Advisor and see what local hotels are being touted at the moment. Ive never stayed there, only been there via cruise ship. Have fun! Dot

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
A ten-minute taxi ride south of Playa is Puerto Aventuras. It is worth a visit, to see the shopping, restaurants, marina and animal encounters. There are several small bars with live music. If you go when the fishing boats are arriving you can see them bringing in the days catch of mahi-mahi, marlin and others. It's a nice little area to walk around, have some coconut ice cream, shop for souvinirs and have a pina colada near the water.

Other things to do in the Playa area: Tulum Mayan ruins, Xel-ha water park (awesome-don't do 1/2 day Tulum 1/2 day Xel-ha, you will want more time at Xel-ha), cenotes snorkeling, ocean snorkeling or diving, jungle tours, etc.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
A ten-minute taxi ride south of Playa is Puerto Aventuras. It is worth a visit, to see the shopping, restaurants, marina and animal encounters. There are several small bars with live music. If you go when the fishing boats are arriving you can see them bringing in the days catch of mahi-mahi, marlin and others. It's a nice little area to walk around, have some coconut ice cream, shop for souvinirs and have a pina colada near the water.

Other things to do in the Playa area: Tulum Mayan ruins, Xel-ha water park (awesome-don't do 1/2 day Tulum 1/2 day Xel-ha, you will want more time at Xel-ha), cenotes snorkeling, ocean snorkeling or diving, jungle tours, etc.
Ditto on Puerto Aventuras. We stayed there in 2006 and had a blast. Felt very safe there even walking around the dark streets at night. Short taxi ride or shuttle to Playa.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
One of my absolute favorite places. I really like the Playacar Palace and the Gran Porto Real. Both are all-inclusive, with share privileges at other properties.

The ferry to Cozumel is around the corner from Playacar Palace, about 8 blocks from the Gran Porto Real. Have fun!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Thanks for all the info., I'll have to research the places mentioned because I'm not familiar with any of them.

Someone asked what I like to do on vacation, well that depends on where I am on vacation. What I'm looking for is a place that's kind of laid back but not dead. I don't want as crazy as Cancun, although in Sept. it may not be that crazy but I don't want to go out at night and be the only people there either. We really need to relax by a pool / beach, eat good food, have nice scenery and maybe a little partying at night. Not much to ask but we are on a budget for this trip, so I thought an all inclusive place might be a good idea and we get a discount on some hotels in Playa Del Carmen. My husband works for Continental and we have traveled a lot but I've never been there.

The reason I said no to Cozumel was because I was there once (20yrs ago) and I remember not liking it. I didn't think it was very nice but I can't remember why exactly. I know I didn't want to ever go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel