Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Wonder why nobody mentioned: *Take a break often* ?
I guess we are all to 'Driven' , and seem to be chatting with one of us

Unfortunately the success of my "commute-home-for-holiday" trip is usually measured in 'average speed' (why I only stop once every 1000 - 1200 miles). I've been over the same rte so many times I let the car drive itself, and I climb in the backseat and cuddle up with "Beesley"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I listen to a lot of talk radio, so I go to the show's website and download podcasts of shows that I have not heard and play them. XM radio is good too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
take up smoking

Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
In a week I'm driving from Mesa, AZ to Provo, UT to see my family for Christmas. I make this drive about 5 times a year, but this time it's going to be completely different. I can no longer speed and drive during the night as I will driving in winter conditions and with a dog. Normally I leave at night and travel through Flagstaff and Kanab, but I'm going to be going through Vegas in an effort to avoid as much snow as possible. My normal 9 hour road trip is going to turn into a 12 hour road trip--but I'll be driving during the day this time.

How do YOU entertain yourself during a road trip? I usually listen to music and sing along to keep myself awake. I'll be driving alone, as usual. Any tips of what I can do to keep myself entertained and still aware of the drive?

Hi - Here's my 2 cents, although my thoughts may be redudant, since I didn't check all 3 pages of posts yet!

Language cds....would be my choice. I don't like books on tape but some people love them.

You could ask a relative if they already have such things, then borrow. These things are expensive to purchase. OR... borrow from the library! That's probably the easiest thing to do.

Kate

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Books on CD/tape from the local library and NPR programming are my stand-bys

Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Dust off those old tunes you use to listen to that everyone thought you were weird for listening to. Pack up the some air drum, guitar, trumpet, piano and mic. Your not on the road, your on the main stage of your world concert tour. Crank up the volume, grab the air mic and air instrument and perform like you never performed before. All the passing cars, people, trees, road signs, and light poles are your audiance (go easy next to a cop car) and give them the performance of your life.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,552 times
Cool First timer to New Orleans from London

Take it from someone who grew up from all over New Orleans. October is the best time to visit the city. The youth hostel idea is a good one. Make sure you take the streetcar ride from downtown to the end of the line and get off and transfer and go all the way back downtown. You will enjoy the sights and find a lot of really nice local neighborhood eateries and bars along the way. Don't forget to take the ferry across the river and get off and go to the first bar you come to. Then you will experience the real New Orleans. If you can afford it have a morning after at the court of two sisters for breakfast. Cafe Du Monde in a walk to the French Quarter or a must. Stroll the riverfront in the French market. You'll find so much to do you want to go hom

Enjoy your stay take it from me.
Who dat

Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Audio books from the library and about 200 CD's loaded into my iPhone. Or just watch the scenery and daydream where it's safe to do so--I wouldn't suggest it in heavy traffic or bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel