Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM

232 posts, read 995,319 times

Advertisements

Mine so far is Grand Cayman.

I have been to Nassua, Puerto Rico, St. thomas, St. John, Grand Cayman and St. Lucia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 AM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
Mine so far is Grand Cayman.

I have been to Nassua, Puerto Rico, St. thomas, St. John, Grand Cayman and St. Lucia.
I love San Juan, St Maarten and St John. I found the locals in St Thomas to be rude and abrasive. I'll never vacation there again.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Turks and Caicos, Anguilla, and St John, and BVI

StThomas is an airport stop and a few souviners before the flight back. (I day is enough) St John is beautiful and lush mountians and GREAT snorkling!
and for ease of getting there etc... it's one we go back to with the kids...(no passports...forUS citizens)

BVI...virgin Gorda. only spent a day here and want to go back despirately!!! good snorkling and the "BATH's" are fantastic to see and explore.

T&C is great for snorkling...12 miles of beautiful beach on Grace Bay in Provo. It's flat and scub, not lush. but pretty in it's own way.

Anguilla....Beaches need I say more?? most beautiful beachs ever! But no snorkling/diving so we wont go back.

I am looking for another place with excellent snokling to explore....BONAIRE??
Also want to try Guana Island in the BVI but it's $$$$

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 AM

67 posts, read 243,775 times
Grand Cayman , hands down ! A little pricey, but, by far the best. Love to dive stingray point or any of the ships around Little Caymon. Plus, you can't get lost, it's only 5 or 6 miles around. The wall is another great place to dive. woodz

Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:

BVI...virgin Gorda. only spent a day here and want to go back despirately!!! good snorkling and the "BATH's" are fantastic to see and explore.

BVI were friendly people, absolutely gorgeous islands and I agree about the Baths. We were there on a yacht for ten days and it was incredible.

St Johns was lovely, as well, St Thomas okay.

Caymans were where we went for our honeymoon 25 years ago, it has probably changed a lot since then but I hear the scuba and snorkeling are still good. Ditto Jamaica, don't know how it is now.

Was not thrilled with the Bahamas but I was on a cruise with the in-laws.

Am interested in some day getting to St Lucia, Venezuela.
Maybe Bonaire, maybe Curacao.
Puerto Rico. Bermuda. So many places, so little time.

If you want to see a lot of stingrays, just head over to northwest Florida and hang around St Joseph Bay, I've seen lots of squadrons of them right up at the shore as well as out in the water. The Gulf is seething with marine life.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:14 AM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
St John is our favorite. Grand Cayman's was nice, but just not as scenic overall on the island -- beach and water great though.

Although not in the Caribbean, I also loved Bermuda.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 AM

We went to St. Lucia last summer....It was pretty...but I wouldn't go back.
Everything is too spread out...over 2 hour ride to most hotels from the airport, The mosquito's are REALLY bad!
The people were not friendly at all.....except for my Dive master (but he was Jamaican).
Can someone recommend a great family destination that has good diving that does not have a large mosquito population ?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
mosquitos are everywhere..sorry but hot wet climates are thier home! spray with deet and avoid the water in hte early mornings and late afternoons.

family...while we won't go back to STT we did stay at a great family friendly resort...secret harbour (condos) right on the beach and there was good snorkling right there. little surf and sandy beach. STJ is our favorite family spot great beaches etc...
The virgin islands are mountianous so if you stay up high the mosquitos wont be as bad.

many people love the Caymens for diving and for families (things to do) I just hate the glitz of high rise hotels and such and crowds that seem to swarm 7 mile beach...we are a laid back outdoorsy family.

go to tripadvisor.com they have forums for each island.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn View Post
Can someone recommend a great family destination that has good diving that does not have a large mosquito population ?
Does it have to be in the Caribbean? We had a great time in Hawaii, and no mosquitoes.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I know Mosquito's are everywhere in the hot wet climate...Ilive in Corpus Christi....I didnt find the mosquito's bad in the Caymans....
Thanks for the advise on Hawaii...Actually I have been there 8 times....like the Caribbean a little better.
Any others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel