Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM

897 posts, read 1,690,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I find this city horrible. Food is horrible, too much crowd everywhere I go, and the drivers in this city are the worst in the world. My colleague was killed instantly -together with the taxi driver- in a horrific accident yesterday. I mean really, a person that sits across you everyday in a conference suddenly vanishes just like that. I'm so done with this place. Sheesh, I almost got run over by a bus today. Definitely not coming back here anymore.

I can't wait to go back to my sweet, laid back, decent Washington DC. For real.

PS: Oh, and nobody seem to speak English here, soo..

Turkish and Arab food is pretty damn good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,689,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And to expect people to speak English is naive at best, and quite arrogant. Why should they speak English ? Do you speak Turkish? Did you learn how to speak Turkish before you went there ? At all ?
I know, my jaw always drops when people complain that people don't speak English in a non-English speaking country that dares to have its own language. A bit off-topic: I am a francophile and a former French major. Whenever people complain to me that the French "refuse to speak English", I always retort "Americans refuse to speak French". I never get tired of seeing the faces.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I know, my jaw always drops when people complain that people don't speak English in a non-English speaking country that dares to have its own language. A bit off-topic: I am a francophile and a former French major. Whenever people complain to me that the French "refuse to speak English", I always retort "Americans refuse to speak French". I never get tired of seeing the faces.
Travel would certainly be a lot easier if everyone spoke the same language but also a lot duller I think. I know I always try to learn some basic phrases wherever I go. I must admit Finnish and Hungarian were pretty hard even though I do have a certain ability for languages . But the response was positive nonetheless from the victims of my language mangling attempts.

But I think trying is hugely important and quite frankly part of the fun ! After all who does not like making a complete fool of themselves in front of perfect strangers ! I find people always really responsive if you try even just a little bit of their language. Hubby always tries his best school French in France and the French people adore him for it.

He just gets handshakes and smiles and for some bizarre reasons quite often gets given extra free treats in Boulangeries and Traiteurs ( Delis ) .... I should send him out for food more often !

I have always since being a child thought that should a little Fairy descend upon me with 3 wishes for me, one of them would be to be fluent in all the Languages and Dialects on the Planet...

Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
OK guys, I'm very sorry for my earlier comments. I was going through a lot of emotions yesterday, what with all that has happened here so far. I just can't seem to enjoy myself anymore. I actually liked this city a lot during the first few days. Did the whole shopping at the bazaar thing, loved the mosques, and enjoyed nice meals at those nice restaurants by the river. Today, my group is trying to lighten the mood a bit and so we decided to take a boat ride this evening. Hope this will help a bit. Thank you for being understanding.

No need for apologising, you did have a really traumatic event and I am truly sorry for you. I hope you are OK and coping , especially when you are still in the place it all took place.

Being in a foreign country is always a lot more difficult when something bad happens. All human beings are more comfortable in familiar surroundings in such circumstances. Hopefully you and your colleagues can offer support and comfort for each other. Do take care.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,724,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Travel would certainly be a lot easier if everyone spoke the same language but also a lot duller I think. I know I always try to learn some basic phrases wherever I go. I must admit Finnish and Hungarian were pretty hard even though I do have a certain ability for languages . But the response was positive nonetheless from the victims of my language mangling attempts.
I'm the same way....but I utterly failed at Hungarian and German. I got the hang of some German after a few days (especially "please", "thank you", and "I'm sorry"), but just couldn't get Hungarian. However, I have found that if you at least demonstrate good effort you'll usually be rewarded with a positive (and often English) response. It even worked on the French people I met in Paris

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,765,036 times
Troll alert. Nobody in their right mind would be posting on CD the day after a horrific accident involving someone they knew.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,549,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Troll alert. Nobody in their right mind would be posting on CD the day after a horrific accident involving someone they knew.
I'm in my right mind and definitely not a troll so you need to take a chill pill and relax, okay?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,140,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I think the American de-emphasis on foreign language study comes from the 19th and early 20th century when, honestly, the vast majority of Americans didn't travel and would never meet anyone who didn't speak English. But, Good Lord, those days are past, the study of a foreign language really develops the mind in ways that I don't know any other route to achieve. Having a 2nd language lets you separate the concept of "cat" from the English word "cat" - if you speak several languages you probably "get" that, if not, it's probably a weird concept at least.

I personally would at the very least learn the words for "hello", "goodbye", "please" and "thank you" before I traveled to any country. Good grief, 4 words! The words for "beer" and "bathroom" would be good to know too.

Certainly in my travels in Russia and Ukraine, knowing the language has really enhanced the experience. I have been studying Russian for about 15 years, many hours of effort. It has cost me plenty, in terms of work.

But, particularly while in country - in the immortal words of my hero Ferris: "It is so choice - if you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up!"

DW has traveled extensively in Turkey, a lot of bargains to be had, carpets, textiles in general, and the food is excellent.

I'm sorry about your friend - and I have had a few hair raising taxi rides in Moscow and in Kiev - but don't let a tragic accident form a completely negative impression of Turkey - a very important US ally, and one of our only real friends in the Muslim world...

Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 PM

846 posts, read 2,834,124 times
Plenty of Turks do speak German, however, since millions of them have migrated to Germany and in some cases returned back to Turkey with a knowledge of German.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
Don't go to Cairo---it's worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel