Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If they are now green most of the year, things have truly changed. For my sixteen years there, they were green for April and May. The rest of the year, one was well reminded that without irrigation, it would all be nothing but sagebrush and sand, with constant hot or cold winds.
Yes, it is a desert climate. What I was alluding to was within the cities themselves everything is green from Spring until Fall. I believe part of this is the maturing of trees. I certainly notice this difference from the 90's to today, having lived elsewhere from the mid-90's to last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
It seems to me to make more sense if one is going to be along the Columbia to stay on the Washington side, so as to avoid a state income tax. Of course if you work in Oregon, that won't work.

I think the difference in COL between say Tri-Cities and Hermiston is not large, to compare apples to apples.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Sorry, missed this, since it was in Tri-Cities, yet you asked about Vancouver, WA as an option....

It may be a bit more $$ for housing and property taxes in Vancouver, but.... you DON'T have to be in Vancouver. There are rural areas that will suffice.

I like TC and Walla Walla a lot, but Vancouver has advantages for 7 kids...(which doesn't include great Year round weather...) but...Nearly unlimited cultural, food, and college experiences with Portland 20+_ colleges within 30 min. Gardens and volunteer opportunities are plentiful, and PDX Airport is 10 min from Vancouver, WA (in case you need to escape by AIR). Good jobs at PDX too ...

Home School is very highly supported Clark County Home Educators - News & Events
We had over 200 students in our Homeschool group 15 - 20 yrs ago (our kids are 10+ yrs out of college) which BTW is FREE FT college instead of wasting time in High School for WA students that pass college entrance exam in 9th or 10th grade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

ME jobs have been plentiful in Vancouver for me (for last 30+ yrs), We are currently hiring more than 100 in our now much smaller, but more engineering... operation. (college hires are on preference list). There are some great ME jobs in Vancouver area. (more to come) What is DH 'specialty' / focus / experience with ME? Materials?, Manuf, Structural, Electro-mechanical, motion control...? (Insitu ((drones)... bought by Boeing) is a great job for that).. Sigma Design (Vancouver) hires a lot of ME's Engineering Consulting Firm - Design Consulting there are many, many more ME companies nearby,

Worse case... you can get a ME job in Oregon till you find one in WA... at Boeing (Troutdale, Oregon), or Precision Cast Parts, Daimler, Nike, Intel, Blount International, Leatherman, Gerber, Microsoft Wilsonville... (9% income tax (actually closer to 5% after Federal adjustments), and a commute --- boo hoo, but only till you find that WA job)

Do look to a town in WA that is near a Jr College or resource for Running Start. (including Tri-cities and Walla Walla) It will save your 7 kids a bundle on college expenses. Mine finished their AA's by the time they were out of High School and went direct to U as full Jr. before age 18. As home school projects, our kids had to learn CAD to design their homes (during Jr High), then build their houses from scratch during age 14-16. (I bought the land, and they paid me back when they sold the houses). They learned a lot (but did NOT LIKE building ) and also made $70k each (for college or 'whatever'...). Each borrowed 3% Sallie Mae money for final 2 yrs college and invested their $70K + ROTHs which they had been managing / contributing since age 12.

They survived

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-07-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 AM

24 posts, read 19,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, it is a desert climate. What I was alluding to was within the cities themselves everything is green from Spring until Fall. I believe part of this is the maturing of trees. I certainly notice this difference from the 90's to today, having lived elsewhere from the mid-90's to last year.
I live in Pasco, its nothing but ugly brown hills, sure the cities are green but get two miles out and its brown and treeless. Shade is a premium. The tri-cities doesn't even compare to Vancouver. Boiling hot in the summer, lots of desert hiking though Many churches, little snow here. The real estate market is very high for buyers too, overpriced in my opinion. Rent a house and decide if you want to live here permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities