Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM

215 posts, read 877,792 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, despite the growth in recent years, the Tri-Cities still hasn't really been "discovered". It's one of the last few mid-sized places in the West that, for whatever reason, hasn't seen the massive influx of people from urban areas like SoCal, Puget Sound, etc. Sure there are a few here and there, but what has happened to Vegas, Phoenix, Boise, Bend, and now even Cd'A has not yet hit this area.

It will happen, eventually. One can be sure of that. There are far too many ammenities in this area (weather, infrastructure, cost of living, low taxes, low crime, proximity to rivers, etc.) and when it does get discovered, it's going to boom, and boom big.

The only question is, when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,761,167 times
A boom is imminent eh?

Perhaps... its grown a lot. There was practically no one here 50 years ago. However, i think ill e moving, there isnt much job opportunity here. Plus, I need a break from the sun, LA > Pasco = Im sick of the Desert. I liked NY for its varied weather. Very nice, particularly upstate. Traffic is a mess though.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Tri-Cities will be discovered as a retirement community any time it learns/decides to market itself as such. All it needs is to find a way to attract more medical practitioners to go with the multiple medical facilities, and that's a done deal. Given that Tri-Cities decided to pitch itself as a budget convention venue and then forgot to build enough hotels, and decided to use some of its most precious real estate to build a Winco and strip malls, I don't have much faith in the ability of this region to reinvent/market itself. It's too permeated with the Hanford mentality.

I'm still amazed by that. If a convention center was going to be such a mint, why did WE have to pay to build it? If it had such potential, you'd think companies would be submitting bids for the privilege.

What TC really needs, though, is a real four-year university that's self-contained. Having a small Coug branch campus doesn't register on the public perception outside this area, and frankly doesn't affect the area much at all. With more and more hopeful high school seniors turned away from UW and even from other schools, this area needs Southern Washington University just as much as the state does. By making tuition allowances for eastern Oregon residents, SWU could definitely find a niche. Only so many people can afford to be Whitties or Zags--the rest of us have to find a good public university.

A university is a marvelous fixture because:

1) It keeps local brainpower at home for awhile.
2) It keeps local money at home for awhile.
3) It creates the interesting college town factor.
4) It generally brings sports--'something to do.'
5) It never closes down. It provides stable employment, both educated and Cletus.
6) It brings intellectual ferment, ideas, protests--all the things we utterly lack, and right now, don't seem to think we want or need.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Werent they trying to make another hospital on Southridge? ^

Whats more neccesary, a hospital or 4-year university? Or a water park in Pasco ?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 PM

150 posts, read 695,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
Whats more neccesary, a hospital or 4-year university? Or a water park in Pasco ?

All three. The hospital in Southridge would replace KGH. A four year university, besides WSU TC would be a great benefit the area and I cannot believe we don't have a decent water park here. IT'S HOT!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM

I do not think it should replace KGH. The issue is that Southridge residents to not have quick easy access to KGH, as KGH is not located next to a freeway. If it replaces it, then the issue will only be reversed.

A univeristy would be nice, although not an inmediate neccesity, as WSU TC is expanding.

The water park question was sarcastic. It would be nice though

Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
Let's face it, despite the growth in recent years, the Tri-Cities still hasn't really been "discovered". It's one of the last few mid-sized places in the West that, for whatever reason, hasn't seen the massive influx of people from urban areas like SoCal, Puget Sound, etc. Sure there are a few here and there, but what has happened to Vegas, Phoenix, Boise, Bend, and now even Cd'A has not yet hit this area.

It will happen, eventually. One can be sure of that. There are far too many ammenities in this area (weather, infrastructure, cost of living, low taxes, low crime, proximity to rivers, etc.) and when it does get discovered, it's going to boom, and boom big.

The only question is, when?
Look around, all the business' going up in Richland, Kennewick and Pasco....newer All service Wal*Mart, new Target in West Richland, Home Depot...and so on......I know alot of retirees' that live in and around TriCities....

Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 17,218 times
We were just talking about this the other day ... for those of us that have lived here our entire lives and remember when there was only 1 bridge, we are not sure we want it to be "discovered". It has been nice to have the additional amenities but I miss being able to drive across town in a few minutes without the traffic. I guess with the good comes the bad.....

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 PM

Well, MW is right, it hasnt been truly discovered. There is a lot of stuff going up, but thats things like Wallgreens and Starbucks. There arent any major companies. Growth has also slowed down a lot too.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:01 AM

40 posts, read 177,566 times
growth has slowed a bit due to the economy, however there are many project up for bid right now and multiple companies from outside the area are still planning and going through with their expansion plans. The EDC is marketing itself aggressively as a retirement community and is having good results, ask any medical staff what the largest influx is for new patients and it's retiree's. The key is to keep the growth well planned and somewhat contained. This will help keep property values at a good rate and allow for a lower property tax to maintain what is being built and upgraded, without a heavy tax burden on the residents (Los Angeles / So Cal / King County). If your interested just check with local planning commissions to see what is on the boards, it's pretty cool stuff. This is the fastest growing area in the entire state for 7 years running....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities