Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

I have noticed this and so have others.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
A lot of open roads and green space to dump a body perhaps

They may think they are one with the devil and nature as they plot their evil deeds

Old 06-25-2010, 10:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Interesting question. Maybe the feeling of "loneness"? Or an isolationist feeling combined with lack of strong community? Or transience?
It seems like Florida gets a good amount of pedophiles. WHen I lived there, you heard of so many crimes like that, and drugs--I hope I don't get the Floridians mad at me...

Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Interesting question. Maybe the feeling of "loneness"? Or an isolationist feeling combined with lack of strong community? Or transience?
It seems like Florida gets a good amount of pedophiles. WHen I lived there, you heard of so many crimes like that, and drugs--I hope I don't get the Floridians mad at me...
That's only because Florida is such a transient state..people moving in and moving out all the time
I don't think Floridians will get mad...

I never really took notice of most serial killings taking place in the Pacific Northwest..hmmmm...interesting

Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Because of all of the rain.... Gloom and doom....

Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Yes it does rain there a lot - but it is beautiful. There are so many really depressing places in the U.S.
I am not so sure that people are anymore disconnected from their communities than any where else.

I have read that the level of education there is pretty high.
Lots of places in the US have woodsy areas, trails mountains...

The upper mid west, the Ozarks, Appalachia, PA.

I have NOTHING against the area - but I cannot help but notice this.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 AM

814 posts, read 670,492 times
I suppose your referring to Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway?

Both totally opposite people. Ted Bundy went to the University of Washington and practiced law as well as helped campaign for the re-election of Governor Dan Evans. After winning Bundy was later appointed to the Seattle Crime Prevention Advisory Committee. Very smart,charismatic, good looking casanova. Problem was he liked to sneak into young college girls windows/doors and rape and strangle/beat them. This happened around the University district in Seattle. Check out Ann Rule's book it's a must if you like true crime. She was a crime reporter for the Seattle PD and was friends with Bundy, the two of them worked at a suicide prevention hotline center....imagine that?!

Gary Ridgeway worked a few miles from where I grew up, he painted Kenworth trucks for a living and to my knowledge was more of a recloose. He had a thing for female prostitutes and would pick them up on Pacific hwy (old strip leading from Seattle to Tacoma). He would pick them up drive down 272nd st. towards work and would rape and strangle them. He would either dispose of the bodies on 272nd or in and around the Green River...hence the term Green River killer. The 80's was strange for me with all of this going on, fishing the Green or riding my bike around the streets was a bit eary to say the least. Many thought Bundy was the only serial killer, but he lived in Florida and Colorado so dates didn't match up.
I actually have friends that found bodies of Ridgeway's victims while riding their dirt bikes. Once more I rented an apt on a plot where one of the victims was found. This apt went on to win apt complex of the year in Washington...little did people know

Old 06-27-2010, 08:09 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
For that matter, I'va also noticed that most started killing at or around age 27.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 AM

I have read many of Ann Rule's books, including "Stranger Beside Me" about her time spent working with Bundy at a suicide hotline and the entire case.

There are more infamous serial killers from that region than those two.
Also other types of unusual crimes - a preponderance of it considering the population.

I mean Maine and New Hampshire are pretty remote and very cold and desolate in the winter and you do not hear about a lot of serial murderers or spree killers or any type of murders coming out of those states.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Maybe they have better cops who catch them. I would think that there are many serial killers that go uncaught. People have to notice that someone has disappeared, report it, then the cops have to realize that they aren't individual killings - probably not all serial killers make it as obvious as Criminal Minds make it seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime